ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue recruiting Some Saturday hoops recruiting notes

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
FISHERS — The day is not over, as Emmanue Dowuona plays later, but I had time to kill, so doing all our stuff now.

• Matt Painter was in Indy all day, mostly at Nike. Never saw him at Under Armour but I'm sure he was there at some point. Heard he went out of his way to see Isaiah Thompson with Spiece's 16s and Thompson had 24. Greg Gary and Steve Lutz have been in Indy all day and Brandon Brantley remains in Atlanta.

• Jamal Bieniemy, the top-100 guard from Houston Hoops, is another Lutz List guy and sounds like he has legitimate interest in Purdue, though he hasn't been offered yet. Yet. Scott interviewed him for us, and will have something for the site soon.

• Trevion Williams, the big man from Detroit, is not in great shape right now, and will have to answer that question, but had Painter sitting courtside for his game this morning and recently had an in-home visit from Brandon Brantley.

After his game, Williams talked about Caleb Swanigan and sounded like he's pretty into Purdue, but Michigan State, Xavier and I think Michigan all apparently want him, but that's gonna be tough sledding, but Purdue has to offer first for that to matter. We'll see. I think the weight thing is a question he'll have to answer.

Purdue is also recruiting Duane Washington, a 2-guard from that same team, and he had 27 in front of Painter today. He has only mid-major offers to this point, but lots of high majors looking.

• Damezi Anderson has been a slow starter but strong finisher here. He was brutal in the first half of his morning game, then great at the end again, like last night.

• Purdue watched a kid named Isaiah Moll, a 6-7 combo forward from Albany, N.Y., who does a lot of different things. Interesting player. He has low-major offers, but did enough last weekend to get calls from Purdue, Iowa and Xavier. Not sure Purdue has seen him here this weekend, though.

• Wide net being cast for big men by Purdue, including a bunch of them in or from Texas, not all because of Lutz. Purdue's been on a number of them for some time. We'll follow up on that instead of just throwing out context-less names right now.

• I'd expect a bunch of offers to go out this week.

• FYI: Transfer Yanni Wetzell, who we reported about Thursday, is coming on Monday. Purdue will take him if he wants to come, I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News