ADVERTISEMENT

So Where are we on paying Brohm

BoilermakerD

All-American
Apr 18, 2010
My thoughts on Brohm is that we have a chance to have him for a long time if we redo his contract or extend him and make the pay about 10% higher than what we could expect one of the big boys offering him after a good 2018 campaign.

My thought is... you wait until he gets an offer from the big boys and you try to start matching it then ... there’s a bigger chance than I would take that he goes..

Holt too.. although I don’t know how strongly he desires being a head man...

I know it’s not my money and donors matter, but I think buying now is a smart idea...

I think we need to extend Brohm a year like we always used to do, even with lousy coaches. I would then see how he does in year 2, see how his 3rd recruiting class is going, then pony up again. Hypothetically he could go 2-10 and look awful and we are stuck. I think that is extremely unlikely, but 7-6 is a little bit from where we want to be.

I would pay up on Holt ASAP. Go to 750,000

My thoughts on Brohm is that we have a chance to have him for a long time if we redo his contract or extend him and make the pay about 10% higher than what we could expect one of the big boys offering him after a good 2018 campaign.

My thought is... you wait until he gets an offer from the big boys and you try to start matching it then ... there’s a bigger chance than I would take that he goes..

I know it’s not my money and donors matter, but I think buying now is a smart idea...
Completely agree. My understanding is that there is some action underway to address the issue....we will see...but, you are so right...being proactive and not reactive is critical to retaining Brohm. We have good thing going..let's make sure it stays that way. Norm

Does anyone know what kind of bonuses Brohm and his staff got for:
1. Going to a Bowl Game.
2. Winning it
This may have been pretty substantial - especially in Season 1 - where no one thought it would happen.

You love Brohm ! However if he leaves, we still have the guy with the intelligence and foresight to hire him. Do you doubt his ability to strike gold twice?

You love Brohm ! However if he leaves, we still have the guy with the intelligence and foresight to hire him. Do you doubt his ability to strike gold twice?

You're not serious are you? Please tell me you weren't being serious...

He signed a big fat contract. He's been here a year, had a 7-5 record including the bowl win. How about he earn what he signed for and proves he can do it more than once before robbing the candy store to give him more. If they win 9 regulars next year, then....maybe....you extend him a year.

Completely agree. My understanding is that there is some action underway to address the issue....we will see...but, you are so right...being proactive and not reactive is critical to retaining Brohm. We have good thing going..let's make sure it stays that way. Norm
What is this proactive that you are speaking of?
Sincerely,
Morgue

Reactions: npb and TheGunner
He signed a big fat contract. He's been here a year, had a 7-5 record including the bowl win. How about he earn what he signed for and proves he can do it more than once before robbing the candy store to give him more. If they win 9 regulars next year, then....maybe....you extend him a year.

And then next year he’s getting big offers from big boys and now you’re replying to the big offer from the big program .., entirely different than getting out in front

Easier to reward & retain vs. risk of search and rehire. When you have a proven commodity, it is best to lock in. I trust that MBob is working thru the issues right now. Actual record and stadium attendance prove both CJB and Coach Holt are worth it.

Reactions: npb
Easier to reward & retain vs. risk of search and rehire. When you have a proven commodity, it is best to lock in. I trust that MBob is working thru the issues right now. Actual record and stadium attendance prove both CJB and Coach Holt are worth it.

But it would be the most Purdue thing ever to be like “oh what was that? USC wants you for 6 mill a year (or whatever), we could have paid you 8 and showed you we believe you can turn us into a program, but how about 6.5 after the fact to stay here instead of USC

Listen.. this is really simple.. just like when you invest in your country and it isn’t a shithole for 71% of people.. like 45-73, or steinbrenners buys rings and makes more money for himself and the Yankees than he can count...

You pay Holt and Brohm and when we win.. the extra revenue will surpass what you pay them.. it’s so easy...

Reactions: npb and TheGunner
Before we go crazy, what is market value for a Coach ranked 20-25? I think that would be fair value as we were the 40ish in the nation and 7th in the Big Ten. So paying up a bit would be fair. Not sure he deserves Pat Fitzgerald or Mark Dantonio money ($4 mil) yet. $3.25 would be fair. Again, let's see how 2018 goes. He has to respect that. We took a chance giving him $3 mil.

Before we go crazy, what is market value for a Coach ranked 20-25? I think that would be fair value as we were the 40ish in the nation and 7th in the Big Ten. So paying up a bit would be fair. Not sure he deserves Pat Fitzgerald or Mark Dantonio money ($4 mil) yet. $3.25 would be fair. Again, let's see how 2018 goes. He has to respect that. We took a chance giving him $3 mil.
He’s already getting $3.3 million.

I really think that is fair then. $6 or $8 million needs to be earned. I can see it happening if we become a top tier team.

I dont. I would be surprised if we arent near the top end now. My guess is 4ish is the pain point beyond which the board wont go.

I dont. I would be surprised if we arent near the top end now. My guess is 4ish is the pain point beyond which the board wont go.
That may be correct, but as averages go up across the Conference, so will we.

Hard to justify a bigger payday than Dantonio at this point.

Minnesota just extended Fleck who didn't make a bowl with a team that did last year. Brohm should get an increase. Raise the insentive bonuses, get him in the 4 mil range, raise his assistants pay so nobody steals Holt, and make his buyout crazy high. If he gets ranked and goes to a marquis bowl with a win next year, he deserves 4.5 mil for that. This next year's teams loses dang near everybody on a defense that carried the team. If he can achieve all that, I expect his '19 class to be bar far the best class at Purdue in a long time. It would be well worth the investment. Got to show the players we are investing and willing to pay so we don't have to answer the questions of "will he be back next year". If they can get ranked, they will sell out way more than just one game. That will more than make up for extra cost to keep him. Not to mention getting on prime time tv for games will help. He is a worthy investment, but got to keep those assistants as well.

Reactions: npb and FLAG HUNTER
Minnesota just extended Fleck who didn't make a bowl with a team that did last year. Brohm should get an increase. Raise the insentive bonuses, get him in the 4 mil range, raise his assistants pay so nobody steals Holt, and make his buyout crazy high. If he gets ranked and goes to a marquis bowl with a win next year, he deserves 4.5 mil for that. This next year's teams loses dang near everybody on a defense that carried the team. If he can achieve all that, I expect his '19 class to be bar far the best class at Purdue in a long time. It would be well worth the investment. Got to show the players we are investing and willing to pay so we don't have to answer the questions of "will he be back next year". If they can get ranked, they will sell out way more than just one game. That will more than make up for extra cost to keep him. Not to mention getting on prime time tv for games will help. He is a worthy investment, but got to keep those assistants as well.

Fleck's original deal was one year shorter than Brohm's. Now they have the same number of years

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
I think everybody would take an extra year on Brohms contact. Especially if it was restructured with a higher buyout and keeps his assistants. If he wants a long deal, pay the man his money.

That goes without saying. The AD is a very smart man and probably will get to it in the near term as the recruiting season concludes. At the moment Purdue does only have so much money to pay the coaches and no one knows how the tax reform will impact giving from donors.

Because Minny is stupid, Purdue should be as well?

Reactions: PaBoiler78
You're not serious are you? Please tell me you weren't being serious...
Tell me you weren't serious first . We have a good coach , he had a good season, a couple of media people mention his name and now everyone fears that money will take him away. I can't believe so many people have so little faith that Brohm might actually want to stay and is satisfied with his current pay! When was the last Purdue head coach that left Purdue for more money?

Tell me you weren't serious first . We have a good coach , he had a good season, a couple of media people mention his name and now everyone fears that money will take him away. I can't believe so many people have so little faith that Brohm might actually want to stay and is satisfied with his current pay! When was the last Purdue head coach that left Purdue for more money?

This was answered earlier. Jack Mollenkopf, Jim Young and Joe Tiller were the only head football coaches not fired in the last 50 years. Jack was forced to retire from a state law, Jim had a personal issue and Joe retired under pressure. The rest were fired and none of them left Purdue for more money.

This was answered earlier. Jack Mollenkopf, Jim Young and Joe Tiller were the only head football coaches not fired in the last 50 years. Jack was forced to retire from a state law, Jim had a personal issue and Joe retired under pressure. The rest were fired and none of them left Purdue for more money.

I knew the answer but appears Many others needed a reminder! I have to believe the question came up in the hiring process. I have confidence Brohm is not a job hopper! I wish I could give some of my faith and trust in others to the unbelievers. I'm not always right, but i don't worry about things I can't change

Kristy Curry? Usually our people get fired or retire.

Diagree...respectfully, what more do you want to prove after what he has already accomplished in his first year....literally no one though it possible to go 7-5 this past season with the team mostly made up of Haz's team? The issue is one of retention...are you aware of Tennessee's attempt to hire him away or that he is on the list at Arizona?! He maybe one of the best coaches in the country and you want to risk losing him?! His salary is competitive for when he was hired, but now is market value has increased...we need to pay him competitively if we wish to keep him. Frankly, if he knows we will always be fair and pay him competitively he could be with us a long time...and, boy, would that be great! The man is already paying for himself and Purdue is already realizing a return on its investment. The man is simply the best, so let's keep him. Norm

Maybe it's because no one offered a higher compensation package? Norm

Nah.. what you’ll get is a bunch of people who are like “maaaaybe if he wins 11 games 3 years Straight and da da da” and then a bigger program will offer him 5 and Purdue people ... many in the mold of bill wertz, the mccaskeys, the tribune co. Etc., will say “oh, you mean when we countered with 5.5 he just didn’t seem that interested.. that’s crazy.”

Let me ask you something.. do you think this guy doesn’t know fleck got extended? You think guys at this level don’t make mental check marks?

Nah.. what you’ll get is a bunch of people who are like “maaaaybe if he wins 11 games 3 years Straight and da da da” and then a bigger program will offer him 5 and Purdue people ... many in the mold of bill wertz, the mccaskeys, the tribune co. Etc., will say “oh, you mean when we countered with 5.5 he just didn’t seem that interested.. that’s crazy.”

Let me ask you something.. do you think this guy doesn’t know fleck got extended? You think guys at this level don’t make mental check marks?

I would say pay him now whatever he wants. The problem is that Purdue football has been awful for so long that they just don't have that money. I am all for giving him a base over 4 mil a year and adding incentives to get him up to 5 to add one or two more years so long as the buyout is crazy high. Once the value of the program goes up, pay him what he deserves and that is the pay of a top 5 coach so long as he can do what we all know/expect out of him. But I think he is a top 5 coach. He gets the most out of his players, has an excellent eye for talent, is an offensive minded/pro style coach, and he has some of the best assistants in the country.

It would be nice to say give him 6 mil a year and lock him in for 10 years, but that kind of money just isn't there yet. Make a football playoff and surpass Notre Dame as the football school in Indiana and then we should be able to offer that kind of money. Got to do something because if he gets ranked next year, more and more big name teams will come knocking. Purdue won the lottery when he signed with us, got to keep him now.

I would say pay him now whatever he wants. The problem is that Purdue football has been awful for so long that they just don't have that money. I am all for giving him a base over 4 mil a year and adding incentives to get him up to 5 to add one or two more years so long as the buyout is crazy high. Once the value of the program goes up, pay him what he deserves and that is the pay of a top 5 coach so long as he can do what we all know/expect out of him. But I think he is a top 5 coach. He gets the most out of his players, has an excellent eye for talent, is an offensive minded/pro style coach, and he has some of the best assistants in the country.

It would be nice to say give him 6 mil a year and lock him in for 10 years, but that kind of money just isn't there yet. Make a football playoff and surpass Notre Dame as the football school in Indiana and then we should be able to offer that kind of money. Got to do something because if he gets ranked next year, more and more big name teams will come knocking. Purdue won the lottery when he signed with us, got to keep him now.
I love Coach Brohm, I love the direction of the program, but why be in a hurry to over over pay? $6 mil? Double his salary? That would put him 5th in the nation. You guys are nuts.

It is like a great first date. Do you propose the next day? Let's be fair to one another and see.

Tennessee paid Pruitt $3.6? So $400,000 more to deal with a lunatic fan base, unrealistic expectations, and a tougher road year in, year out.

Brohm is close to Fleck, slightly more than Fitzgerald and Chryst. We are fine where we are right now.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2

Dude, I asked if you were serious about having faith in MBob striking gold. It was a dumb comment. No one wants to start over with another new coach. I never said I'm worried about Brohm leaving so quickly. But to suggest he could easily be replaced by MBob is just dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT