ADVERTISEMENT

So the WBB's game at IU was kinda' like the MBB's game at Illinois?

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Oh wait, the MBB lost by 26 to an unranked team and could not even score 40 points. The WBB lost by 18 to the #12 ranked team in the nation and it was the WBB team's first game after losing one of their defensive and rebounding mainstays as well as their #4 scorer.

The loss was very disappointing, but they are still 11-5 and I am not ready to give up on their ending the season respectably any more than I am for the MBB team.

Reactions: TC4THREE and jindy
Oh wait, the MBB lost by 26 to an unranked team and could not even score 40 points. The WBB lost by 18 to the #12 ranked team in the nation and it was the WBB team's first game after losing one of their defensive and rebounding mainstays as well as their #4 scorer.

The loss was very disappointing, but they are still 11-5 and I am not ready to give up on their ending the season respectably any more than I am for the MBB team.

Agree - the season isn't over by any means. I figured it'd be a tough game, especially being the first one following the injury to Farquhar. Purdue is actually still top 25 on NCAA RPI and RealTime RPI sites. I'm kind of surprised at the number of Big Ten teams rated well on both of those sites - among Big Ten teams Purdue was 4th in one of those ratings and 7th in the other.

Reactions: DocRon
I would be a lot more optimistic if this team had any quality depth whatsoever... the starting 5 with Tamara were all averaging over 30 minutes a game and they just lost their best rebounder and a player that on any given night can give you double digit scoring, and she's out for the season. Now Grant and Cassidy will be playing a lot more and maybe even Wortman to fill in for the loss of Tamara. These next few weeks are critical but it's now more of an uphill battle to win even against unranked teams...And if they somehow stumble down the stretch and don't make the tournament this is more than likely Sharon's last season as HC.. We'll see how it goes.. just wish they had better quality depth and more experienced depth to make up for the loss of Tamara.

Last edited:
And to add to that... when is the last time this program had a top 20 ranked team? I'm sure someone on here knows that answer.. but I can't remember the last time the WBB team was ranked in the top 20....And this season they've had arguably the best starting 5 they've had in quite some time and it won't be as good next season when they lose Harris and Oden after the season due to graduation. So I doubt they're a top 20 team next season as well.. So it's not just the fact that they lost by 18 to a 12th ranked IU team, it's also that they haven't been a ranked team in eons and it doesn't look like they will in the foreseeable future.

All's not lost, but I do fondly remember when Purdue used to do that to Indiana, like every time those two teams played.

Times have changed. There are a lot of good teams in the B1G right now. Purdue better find its footing soon. This program can't afford to slide any farther down the totem pole.

Out of curiosity I went and checked out the women's Bracketology on ESPN today and we're still in it right now. They can still accomplish some things this season but they have to start playing better.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Out of curiosity I went and checked out the women's Bracketology on ESPN today and we're still in it right now. They can still accomplish some things this season but they have to start playing better.
Without Tamara? Their best rebounder? and a player that was playing 30+ minutes a game? good luck..

Ya, they blew a big opportunity Sunday against a borderline top-25 team at Northwestern. They got down big in the second and third quarters before staging a furious rally over the last five minutes that nearly tied the game. That would've been a big road win had they been able to steal it.

Ya, they blew a big opportunity Sunday against a borderline top-25 team at Northwestern. They got down big in the second and third quarters before staging a furious rally over the last five minutes that nearly tied the game. That would've been a big road win had they been able to steal it.

Same with Rutgers the Sunday before. The good news is that the women's side is almost as deep as the men's so there's going to be alot of games/opportunities They just need to start capitalizing on some.

Reactions: DocRon and rgarlitz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT