ADVERTISEMENT

So the good news is

Not so fast...

While Crean is not likely to be fired, there is growing chatter about him not returning (by his own choice)...and even some speculation that he has already lined up another gig (with 'Bama being bantered about with increasing regularity...from a basketball school with all the pressure in the world to a football one with next to none, never mind fertile recruiting which is his greatest strength).

FWIW: Murray State head coach Steve Prohm (102-28 in 4 years, 2 NCAA tournaments) is a 1997 graduate of Alabama.

Yes, knew that and his name no doubt has/will come up for the opening as well. There will be other names certainly also,

I only mentioned 'Bama in that Crean's name has come up a couple of different times recently with respect to the opening there, and, as has been the case in the past...often where there is smoke, there is fire. It seemed initially like an odd possibility to me personally, but again, rumors started last week and then his name has been associated with it through some that cover them as a potential candidate.

I only chimed in because someone else had a thread topic below regarding Crean specifically and his odd demeanor and sign-off on his weekly call-in show, and because while I did not put much stock in the rumor a week ago, it simply has gathered some steam and more so on the heels of what sounded oddly like a good-bye last night on his show.

Sure, DG10, I understand. And I have no idea what Prohn's interest in the Alabama job is. No question he's an up-and-coming coach, though. Plus the resources at Alabama are much greater and the ceiling is much higher than at Murray State.

Originally posted by boilernuke:
Both Painter and Crean keep their jobs for next year.
If you were concerned, before the season, that Painter might not be back next year, I could have eased your mind. Matt Painter was never in danger of losing his job, regardless of the outcome of this season. The only place he was in danger was in the minds of message board speculators...

Dear God.

Bruce Pearl and Auburn and Tom Crean at Alabama. There would be a grease shortage in the rest of the nation as those two are as greasy as it comes.

Originally posted by BoilerSmac:

If you were concerned, before the season, that Painter might not be back next year, I could have eased your mind. Matt Painter was never in danger of losing his job, regardless of the outcome of this season. The only place he was in danger was in the minds of message board speculators...
Funny, I don't see those "Fire Painter" guys posting here anymore. I wonder why?

Were they real Purdue fans, now too embarassed by their idiotic opinions to return?, orWere they really just trolls attempting to create issues where none existed?
I think there is no question that Matt Painter can coach. I think the only issue is can he recruit the kinds of kids that will make him successful? Like all (most?) of us, he has learned some lessons through failures and will be better because of it. I think he now knows what kinds of kids to pursue and that will pay off in years to come.

cool.r191677.gif

Prohm played DIII BB for part of a year and left school for an opportunity to be a coach which was his career goal. Went AL where he was a manager and student assistant coach. Is an AL alum and he's HOTTTTT right now. Would be a great hire for them and I'm sure would have to be high on his list of dream jobs. I'm betting they could get him for a little less than they'd have to pay the Tanner and he's all business and no twitching on the sidelines. Never throws his guys under the bus. Said after they lost the OVC tourney on a last second shot that cost them the NCAA bid that it was his fault because he must have not prepared them well enough. That after winning 25 in a row. Actually publicly campaigned last week for an at-large bid for his team.

Originally posted by mathboy:

Originally posted by BoilerSmac:

Funny, I don't see those "Fire Painter" guys posting here anymore. I wonder why?

Were they real Purdue fans, now too embarassed by their idiotic opinions to return?, or
Were they really just trolls attempting to create issues where none existed?
I think there is no question that Matt Painter can coach. I think the only issue is can he recruit the kinds of kids that will make him successful? Like all (most?) of us, he has learned some lessons through failures and will be better because of it. I think he now knows what kinds of kids to pursue and that will pay off in years to come.

cool.r191677.gif
One of the wonderful perks of a GBI premium membership is that you get the haters coming out in real time during the game! Often it's premature and Purdue wins anyway, so it's entertaining to see the verbal whack-a-mole, but they're definitely there. It's gotten to be comical how some almost wish Purdue MBB fails as to further their agenda of getting rid of Painter.

Btw, there's more good than bad on KHC, but the haters are alive and well, just laying in wait...

If Fred Glass gets Crean to leave before July 1st without paying him the $10M that he is owed, then he should be athletic director of the decade. Now that of course is looking the other way at some of the appalling intimidation tactics engaged in by the fans...

***Disclaimer, I am NOT talking about the actual graduates of the school, but that does not change the fact that rednecks all over the state are pulling out all the stops to bully Crean out of Bloomington. If they succeed, it is a sad day for us all.***

Originally posted by Frankie611:
If Fred Glass gets Crean to leave before July 1st without paying him the $10M that he is owed, then he should be athletic director of the decade. Now that of course is looking the other way at some of the appalling intimidation tactics engaged in by the fans...

***Disclaimer, I am NOT talking about the actual graduates of the school, but that does not change the fact that rednecks all over the state are pulling out all the stops to bully Crean out of Bloomington. If they succeed, it is a sad day for us all.***
If Crean does leave, on his terms or theirs, it will be interesting who will be willing to jump into that toxic jungle and deal with all the noise.

cool.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT