ADVERTISEMENT

So if Purdue would beat MSU...

GemstateBoiler

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2006
Would it be the biggest upset win in Purdue football history? Would it be the biggest NCAA upset in the past 10 years? I think maybe yes.

Not going to happen but I guess stranger things have happened. Wouldn't that open up a new can of worms?

Wandering minds.

Last edited:
Would it be the biggest upset win in Purdue football history? Would it be the biggest NCAA upset it the past 10 years? I think maybe yes.

Not going to happen but I guess stranger things have happened. Wouldn't that open up a new can of worms?

Wandering minds.
during my time at PU from 74-78, we upset #1 Mich on a late Rock Supan FG. That was a home game though in front of a" disappointing" crowd of 57,000 at RA. Always will remember it cause my parents would pick one game a year to see and they were present for that one.

during my time at PU from 74-78, we upset #1 Mich on a late Rock Supan FG. That was a home game though in front of a" disappointing" crowd of 57,000 at RA. Always will remember it cause my parents would pick one game a year to see and they were present for that one.
I was there too and that is the one I would compare it to. Humm? 57,000...those were the days.

Would it be the biggest upset win in Purdue football history? Would it be the biggest NCAA upset in the past 10 years? I think maybe yes.

Wandering minds.

Appalachian State beating Michigan in the Big House in 2007 was a much bigger upset than Purdue over MSU would be.

I was there too and that is the one I would compare it to. Humm? 57,000...those were the days.
had some breaks in that one, like Mich's receiver (Smith) dropping a long TD pass when our defender fell down and a great goal line stand , right in front of me, where we held the now departed Rob Lytle, Harlan Huckleby, and Rick Leach on a first and goal from the 8.

Appalachian State beating Michigan in the Big House in 2007 was a much bigger upset than Purdue over MSU would be.
that one year where Stanford beat USC ( may have been Harbaugh's first there) I think they were 35 or 38 point dogs would be similar.

Wandering minds.
nothing to worry about, no chance with this team of girlie boys.

Wandering minds.
Cats would start sleeping with dogs, Congress would get things done and butterflies would fly out of my butt.

Wandering minds.

I don't know about that. Michigan State is very good, but they aren't like the second coming.

Outside of the Oregon game (and don't get me wrong that was a great win - but Oregon is bottom top 10 and the game was at home)…they beat Western Michigan 37-24, Air Force 35-21, Central Michigan 30-10. Not saying any of those were nail biters, but their offense hasn't been blowing people out of the water and their defense hasn't been pitching shutouts.

Wandering minds.
Won't happen in this game BUT, there is enough firepower that they will upset someone coming up.

Sat in the Knothole tickets as a kid in the south end zone for that one. Still can't believe we won that game.
UM had a ton of nfl talent. Seems like we lost to like northwestern the next week too.

I was at that '76 UM game too. Was 11 yrs old. Rock Supan kicked and played safety. Jimmy Smith dropped the sure td for UM. I recall the goal line stand in the north end zone. Rick Leach, the um qb, had a terrible time hearing on that drive.

Two wks later Lee Corso came to RA to win his first bucket game. I believe Agase was let go the next day.

I was there too. Great parties that night. I bedded down with a hot young lady I'd been pursuing for a year...barely remember the game...still remember the lay.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
From what I've watched of MSU this season (which has been limited to Oregon and bits and pieces of the other games), I think last years team was better. This years Purdue team is much improved from last year. MSU is not the horrible personnel match up that Wisconsin historically has been. We get a defensive TD and Blough is able to control the game in the stat range of 25/35, 250 yrds/2 TD/1 INT and we might pull it off. Say what you want, but playing on the road could be an advantage since Ross Ade hasn't been full of energy this year. Odds of that happening are about 5% so I wouldn't say it'll even be the biggest upset of the college football season.

Most likely it will be close at half and they pull away late in the third quarter. I still think we cover at +22.

The win over ND in 97 would still be bigger. It jump started the Joe Tiller era and established the spread offense in the Big 10.

That being said, I'd love to beat msu. Over the years, their fan base has become a bunch of d-bags, similar to Wisky. They hate being UM's little brother and the lack of respect even though they've had more success recently.

Gamblers must like Purdue as the line has dropped from 23.5 to 21 since Monday.
Personally I doubt they could cover 30 points.

I was at that '76 UM game too. Was 11 yrs old. Rock Supan kicked and played safety. Jimmy Smith dropped the sure td for UM. I recall the goal line stand in the north end zone. Rick Leach, the um qb, had a terrible time hearing on that drive.

Two wks later Lee Corso came to RA to win his first bucket game. I believe Agase was let go the next day.
Yes,you are correct on all points.IU beating Purdue that year was the biggest favor they ever could have done for us,because Jim Young replacing Agase was a great thing for Purdue.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
From what I've watched of MSU this season (which has been limited to Oregon and bits and pieces of the other games), I think last years team was better. This years Purdue team is much improved from last year. MSU is not the horrible personnel match up that Wisconsin historically has been. We get a defensive TD and Blough is able to control the game in the stat range of 25/35, 250 yrds/2 TD/1 INT and we might pull it off. Say what you want, but playing on the road could be an advantage since Ross Ade hasn't been full of energy this year. Odds of that happening are about 5% so I wouldn't say it'll even be the biggest upset of the college football season.

Most likely it will be close at half and they pull away late in the third quarter. I still think we cover at +22.
MSU is clearly over rated, but I will be screaming that we beat #1 if our Boilers whip Sparty on Saturday. Too bad that Nick (0-3) Saban is not there to go for #4 !

on the goal line stand, from what I remember, they ran Lytle up the middle to the 3, then Huckleby to the right and Jerome King knocked him out at like the two, on third, the crowd was loud and Leach went on a roll out left and was getting tackled and just threw the pitch out in desperation for a fumble which we recovered. Awesome day.

I think you're right. MSU offense is decent but the spartandawg defense has looked pretty average in every game. The back 7 struggles to tackle, cover and get off blocks ever since Copeland went down.

Purdue could make this a game if they don't turn it over. Of course, that's easier said than done from what I've seen from the Boiler offense.

Wandering minds.

As stated by another Boiler, The 1976 Team beat #1 Michigan:
"All season long Bo Schembechler had been looking for a test. He wanted his top-ranked, unbeaten, unmolested Michigan football team to prove just how good it was – and how good it could be. For eight long weeks he had watched the Wolverines roll to one lopsided win after another. Cakewalks all of them: 352 points for our side, 58 points and multiple abrasions for theirs. It seemed that Schembechler would have to wait until the Ohio State game, as always, for the ultimate challenge.

At least it seemed that way until last Saturday afternoon in Purdue’s Ross-Ade Stadium, once famed as a Notre Dame burial ground. With three straight losses and a 3-5 record, the Boilermakers did not appear to be much of a threat. They were fast losing their reputation as spoilers and, some said, were on the verge of losing their coach, Alex Agase. But throughout the game, as Purdue raised one knotty question after another, Michigan kept coming up with the wrong answer. And when it was over, the Wolverines, you might say, flunked the test 16-14.

The game was decided by two field goals, one the Boilermakers made and one the Wolverines didn’t. There were four minutes, 20 seconds remaining when Rock Supan’s 23-yarder put Purdue ahead."

A lot of the Boilermakers remember that day... Scott Dierking ran wild against Michigan defense and Purdue defense was a stone wall.
I later got to know Rock Supan and played soft ball and basket ball with him. Although the name suggested otherwise he was a very smart, studious and industrious guy. Always enjoyed talking with him. I have to admit he was full tilt when he played anything.

It would be devastating for the Big Ten this season if Purdue would knock off MSU. We finally have number of teams ranked and cant have the #2 team in the country lose to a below average school.

A lot of the Boilermakers remember that day... Scott Dierking ran wild against Michigan defense and Purdue defense was a stone wall.
I later got to know Rock Supan and played soft ball and basket ball with him. Although the name suggested otherwise he was a very smart, studious and industrious guy. Always enjoyed talking with him. I have to admit he was full tilt when he played anything.
John Skibinski was a good fullback back then and he complemented Scott very well in those days.

hump-day-isnt-over-until-it-b-o-b-s-41-photos-32.jpg

Last edited:
When was the last time Purdue has pulled off a major upset???? Not any of those games where we beat a MAC team when we were a 1-point underdog....a REAL upset!

It would be devastating for the Big Ten this season if Purdue would knock off MSU. We finally have number of teams ranked and cant have the #2 team in the country lose to a below average school.
I still want Purdue to upset them,but I don't think it will happen.I care more about Purdue than the Big Tens image.

When was the last time Purdue has pulled off a major upset???? Not any of those games where we beat a MAC team when we were a 1-point underdog....a REAL upset!
Umm, didn't Danny Hope beat OSU twice? In 2009 the Buckeyes were ranked and had Terrell Pryor as their QB. As I recall, Ryan Kerrigan made his life a living hell that day.

Didn't Purdue beat #1 ND that same year ? I remember it being some vague trivia question that Purdue beat 2, #1 teams in the same season...

Didn't Purdue beat #1 ND that same year ? I remember it being some vague trivia question that Purdue beat 2, #1 teams in the same season...
Purdue upset ND in 1974 and Michigan in 1976.Those were the highlights of Alex Agases four years as Purdues coach.

At this point, I'll be surprised if we are even competitive in this game. The quality of opponent goes up significantly. Even if we are still in it at half, I don think this staff has the ability to make adjustments needed in order to maintain it through 2 halves.

Yeh, you're right. Let's take one for the "team" and just lay down so the Big10 can stay at the top.

On the other hand, maybe MSU should lay down and let Purdue win so that the conference appears more balanced from top to bottom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT