ADVERTISEMENT

So if Brohm leaves, where do we go?

Louisville fan here ... one who is not as sure that Brohm leaves what he is building in W. Laf. So I started a list of other coaches for us to consider. I think they'd jump at the chance to coach at Purdue too, frankly.

Matt Campbell - Iowa State
Bill Clark - UAB
Seth Litrell - N. Texas

These are my top 3, but there are a handful of other really intriguing guys.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I live in Louisville, all the people “in the know” say Brohm will be the next Cardinal football coach. They say Tyra (AD) would not have pulled the trigger and fired Petrino if it wasn’t certain.

I live in Louisville, all the people “in the know” say Brohm will be the next Cardinal football coach. They say Tyra (AD) would not have pulled the trigger and fired Petrino if it wasn’t certain.

If those “in the know”s were always right, Purdue basketball team would be riddled with 5-star recruits...

Taking out Brohm is a Louisville alum for a moment, how do the two programs compare?

Facilities?
Fan Support?
Recruiting Access?

Which job is deemed a harder gig? Is it easier to succeed at Purdue or Louisville?

Purdue is in the BIG West, which is generally considered the lighter Side of the BIG.

Louisville is in the ACC Atlantic, which is easily the heftier side of the ACC.

So how does all of that stack up?

Look, I personally doubt he takes that crap job in Louisville.....Pur with facilities is a far better job, plus great recruits on the way!!! If by chance he does go,confident Bobinski will find us another GEM ........not gonna worry about it, worried about Wisky and IU and making a Bowl....

I truly believe there is no way he could have put together this prospective recruiting class w/o their assurance that he would be here. I believe he is having the time of his life directing this football program. (sans yesterday)

What is he supposed to tell recruits, “I’m not sure if I’ll be here? If the Louisville job opens I might have to think about it.? Of course he will assure them he’s staying. It’s happened more than once, that a coach takes off after assuring people he’s staying.

My only thought on this subject matter is that although these recruits are not “committed with an ink pen” they did make a commitment and by doing so they turned down other opportunities which very likely will not be available anymore for their position (remember, attending Louisville was not necessarily a priority for the top recruits in this class)

I am a Louisville fan here and honestly I don't know which way Brohm will go. I will say it doesn't hurt our chances that his agents are from Louisville who are big Louisville fans. I don't understand the attraction to some of these coaches fans on both sides keep throwing out.

Fans from both schools have mentioned Dino Babers and Mike Norvell. Babers is having a good year at Syracuse this year but this is only is first good year. He will lose a lot of players this year including his quarterback so next year will tell how good of coach he really is. Mike Norvell did good when he had Justin Fuentes players. He is struggling now in the AAC with his players so he would be a risk to me.

Reactions: GABoilermakers
I am a Louisville fan here and honestly I don't know which way Brohm will go. I will say it doesn't hurt our chances that his agents are from Louisville who are big Louisville fans. I don't understand the attraction to some of these coaches fans on both sides keep throwing out.

Fans from both schools have mentioned Dino Babers and Mike Norvell. Babers is having a good year at Syracuse this year but this is only is first good year. He will lose a lot of players this year including his quarterback so next year will tell how good of coach he really is. Mike Norvell did good when he had Justin Fuentes players. He is struggling now in the AAC with his players so he would be a risk to me.
Norvell is currently at 6-4, proven offensive coach at ASU and Pitt doing well at Memphis, he's young and relates well w/ college age players.

If his agents are driving their client because of their fandom. They won’t be agents long. Agents are always looking for what’s best for the client, not what’s best for their favorite team.

Matt Ruhle from Baylor.
His name came up for the Colts vacancy last year.

When I look at the Memphis schedule I am still not impressed with Norvell. Not exactly a tuff schedule and being blown out by Tulane is embarrassing.

This bad ass might consider the job.

danny-hope-purdue.jpg

Not a Louisville fan, but not a hater either. Just my two cents....They had to fire him because he has lost the team and they cannot afford to have a humongous amount of players transfer at the end of the season. The athletic director had to show their players that he has their back and is going to make every attempt possible to bring in a coach they will want to play for since they have quit on Petrino. They might have knowledge ahead of the game that CJB would take the job under any circumstances because that’s his alma mater. It’s always possible but they had to fire Patrina no matter what to say what’s left of the program. If there was a mass exodus of players that Louisville athletic department becomes an even bigger laughing stock at that point it’s possible that Coach Brohm says ‘no thank-you’

Isn't Tyra like Brohm an alum of Trinity HS?

Norvell is currently at 6-4, proven offensive coach at ASU and Pitt doing well at Memphis, he's young and relates well w/ college age players.
Norvell is now the highest paid coach outside the P5. He is a TX native who played for Central Arkansas. His wife is from AR, where most of her family still live.

Norvell won't leave Memphis unless he really likes the opportunity.

He is a Purdue man, but with how things have gone for him as P5 HC, how badly would you want him?
He recruits VERY well.

I don't think things have gone that badly for him as a P5 Head Coach IMO. He did pretty well at TAMU, in the toughest division in football while it was maybe at its toughest (with Bama AND Auburn making multiple NC game appearances in his time there). TAMU fans have wildly unrealistic expectations that he was never going to meet. Jimbo Fisher will struggle to meet them there as well.

I don't think Sumlin is the best we could get. The best we could get is likely a gamble. A gamble im not really up for taking because we've seen that losing on that gamble takes us to rock bottom. Bring in Sumlin, recruit well and try to get back to winning 7-9 annually.

I don't think it's necessary to get a Purdue guy. In fact, I'd prefer the injection of new blood, just like Brohm was/is. MBob and the admin are committed to football, so $ shouldn't be an issue if we have to go searching.

I don't think it's necessary to get a Purdue guy. In fact, I'd prefer the injection of new blood, just like Brohm was/is. MBob and the admin are committed to football, so $ shouldn't be an issue if we have to go searching.
And UL will be subsidizing $4.4 million of that contract.

It all depends who is out there looking to be honest. I don't think a single SEC team will be looking for an HC. Maybe UNC. Maybe Kansas State? I guess Maryland is out there looking to make a hire. Unless USC fires Helton, I don't think there are any situations out there that are better than ours.

That puts us in a good light too IMO. A coach would def. want to come here....losing our coach to a poaching where he only left for more money and to go to his alma mater.

Reactions: chaspark
I don't think Brohm leaves because I feel he wants to see this rebuild through and really likes it here and like he's said in interviews, he likes the challenge of Purdue and likes the hunger of fan base and administration to want to be successful. And like he has said as well, he wants to earn that next step in job.
And this may be a little out there, but sometimes going back isn't always the best. Sure it's intriguing but, and I hate to use IU, why isn't Alford coaching there?
And working with your friends is good but working for your friends isn't always the best idea if he's friends with the AD. I don't know about college athletics but in real world situations it seems true
All that said, if he does leave, we are in a much better place to hire a quality coach than in the past. Boiler Up!

Jeff Brohm: Speaking this morning, Jeff Brohm addressed the Louisville opening by saying, “It’s important for me to not comment on any speculation. Right now, I have a job to do…. I’m going to stay focused on that. I’m very appreciative of the job I have right now.” Read into that what you will….
Yeah. Anyone can read anything they want into the PC. It’s clear the ball is in MB and MD’s court now. Their big advantage is they can move now to extend him before the Dec 6 timeline. If Brohm let’s this become a huge distraction the next two weeks and I think it shows he’s leaving. And giving non-answers for the next two weeks will be a huge distraction.

Jeff Brohm: Speaking this morning, Jeff Brohm addressed the Louisville opening by saying, “It’s important for me to not comment on any speculation. Right now, I have a job to do…. I’m going to stay focused on that. I’m very appreciative of the job I have right now.” Read into that what you will….

Maybe two ways to read that-1) Said as a bargaining move to improve his situation at Purdue somehow-extension, raise, etc or 2) Is going to Louisville but cannot make it public yet.

I'm honestly asking here--what other reason would there be for giving a vague, non-committal answer like that? If someone has a reasonable, more Purdue-friendly read on it, I'd love to hear.

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
Maybe two ways to read that-1) Said as a bargaining move to improve his situation at Purdue somehow-extension, raise, etc or 2) Is going to Louisville but cannot make it public yet.

I'm honestly asking here--what other reason would there be for giving a vague, non-committal answer like that? If someone has a reasonable, more Purdue-friendly read on it, I'd love to hear.
I think it’s 1 more than 2. But I do think 2 becomes a greater possibility the longer this drags on.

If going to Louisville , why not make it public, so players and recruits know what is going on. I would think if Brohm was going to Louisville, he would say so as soon as possible to start recruiting for new school. So I feel Brohm likes where he is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT