ADVERTISEMENT

Seeding Already Decided.....tomorrow doesn't matter....

Mar 12, 2016
We talk about this each year. Remember, the BIG title game tomorrow ends 30 minutes before the Selection Sunday Show. They aren't reconfiguring anything based on how late our game finishes. Our seed is what it is as it stands after todays win, regardless of tomorrow against Sparty.

Boiler Up.

Do you have a source, or are you speculating?

Not trying to start an argument. I'm just curious. I seem to remember back in 2009, CBS interviewed the committee chair during the B1G championship, and he said something about the field being set. But I haven't heard anything about this year.

We talk about this each year. Remember, the BIG title game tomorrow ends 30 minutes before the Selection Sunday Show. They aren't reconfiguring anything based on how late our game finishes. Our seed is what it is as it stands after todays win, regardless of tomorrow against Sparty.

Boiler Up.

They don't "reconfigure" after the game, they have various hypotheticals already done. I.e. if this happens, we'll use this bracket, if that happens we'll use that bracket.

In many cases, results from these games on Sunday do not change anything to begin with, no matter who wins....hence "the field was already set". That doesn't mean it never matters.

With Villanova losing today, a #1 seed is in theory "up for grabs". An MSU win could put them as a #1. I don't know if MSU lost, they would get a #1 over Villanova.

If Villanova didn't lose today, then yeah no matter who won tomorrow - Purdue's and MSU's seed would likely not change either way.

Reactions: PUBV
They don't "reconfigure" after the game, they have various hypotheticals already done. I.e. if this happens, we'll use this bracket, if that happens we'll use that bracket.

In many cases, results from these games on Sundays do not change anything to begin with, no matter who wins.

With Villanova losing today, a #1 seed is in theory "up for grabs". An MSU win could put them as a #1. I don't know if MSU lost, they would get a #1 over Villanova.

Better said. Again, probably doesn't change a darn thing with the show starting literally 30 minutes or less after our game is done. And what if our game goes to OT? Our seed is decided today. Yes, speculation because i'm not on committee. Going off of previous comments i've heard over the years from media, interviews, etc.

Like somebody previously said, they'll have a bracket for each outcome. MSU doesn't get that 1 seed unless they win tomorrow and we likely don't get a 3 seed unless we win.

Boiler Up.
That's total bunk, the committee will be watching the game, yes they will have almost all seeds decided, but they'll already have multiple boiler-plate configurations depending on our game tendencies with Michigan State. You have no idea what you're talking about.

That's total bunk, the committee will be watching the game, yes they will have almost all seeds decided, but they'll already have multiple boiler-plate configurations depending on our game tendencies with Michigan State. You have no idea what you're talking about.
This

I swear this comes up every year. The ncaa com. Has atleast 2 brackets contingent on the outcome of the b1g tourney.

This

I swear this comes up every year. The ncaa com. Has atleast 2 brackets contingent on the outcome of the b1g tourney.
that's exactly right, at least 2. it is NOT pre-decided before the game UNLESS, there is absolutely no way they can gain any ground even with a blow-out win, or lose ground with a blow-out loss. Either team. Which means they would have to be right in the middle of their current seed matrix.

I think I will go with human nature here. People's recollection is stronger for things that just happened. Suppose we beat MSU by 20. I think they may move us up as high as a 2. If we lose then we are a 3/4. MSU has to win to get a #1. Too hare to sell them losing to us 2x and still being a #1.

First, the show starts at 5:30 which is likely 30 minutes before the brackets are announced. Second they do have multiple brackets based on outcomes today. As far as our game which is last there is no bubble or nit team playing so it would only be a couple of seeds at best.

I think I will go with human nature here. People's recollection is stronger for things that just happened. Suppose we beat MSU by 20. I think they may move us up as high as a 2. If we lose then we are a 3/4. MSU has to win to get a #1. Too hare to sell them losing to us 2x and still being a #1.

There is ABSOLUTELY no chance that the result of the game today can swing us between a #2-4 seed. Zero chance. Win and we could be a 3 (if not already in the committee's eyes).

Zero chance we move to a #2 seed.

Reactions: Bluegrass Boiler
MSU-Oregon locked in as 1-2 in the West.

Kansas-Xavier 1-2 Midwest
UNC-Nova 1-2 East
UVA-OU/WV 1-2 South

OU/WV, UK, Miami, IU - 3 seeds
Purdue, Utah, TAMU, MD/ISU - 4 seeds

There is ABSOLUTELY no chance that the result of the game today can swing us between a #2-4 seed. Zero chance. Win and we could be a 3 (if not already in the committee's eyes).

Zero chance we move to a #2 seed.

For some reason, I'm thinking more and more that it's set...just going on a hunch. That's not to say that there couldn't be alternative brackets set by the committee.

I would guess the question will get asked if the BTT game made a difference whichever way the game today turns out.

For some reason, I'm thinking more and more that it's set...just going on a hunch. That's not to say that there couldn't be alternative brackets set by the committee.

I would guess the question will get asked if the BTT game made a difference whichever way the game today turns out.

The only time they do alternative or contingent brackets is if an otherwise non-tournament team is in the BTT final. So if Illinois had beat us and UM as was playing in the final, they would have a bracket with them and a bracket without.

The only time they do alternative or contingent brackets is if an otherwise non-tournament team is in the BTT final. So if Illinois had beat us and UM as was playing in the final, they would have a bracket with them and a bracket without.
Except we aren't the only tournament that finishes today. We are just the last. I haven't checked the others for outliers that would swing projections. They always have contingent brackets and today won't be any different.

Nova likely took a big hit losing. I can see them falling to a three and changing everything just yesterday.

MSU-Oregon locked in as 1-2 in the West.

Kansas-Xavier 1-2 Midwest
UNC-Nova 1-2 East
UVA-OU/WV 1-2 South

OU/WV, UK, Miami, IU - 3 seeds
Purdue, Utah, TAMU, MD/ISU - 4 seeds
If UVA is a 1 seed, wouldn't mind being the 4 in their bracket. They're good, but beatable

I think we are a #3 seed regardless of outcome today. Metrics look good for us to be top 12 in the committee room.

Except we aren't the only tournament that finishes today. We are just the last. I haven't checked the others for outliers that would swing projections. They always have contingent brackets and today won't be any different.

Nova likely took a big hit losing. I can see them falling to a three and changing everything just yesterday.

Probably the American, Heller. Most don't have Memphis in the field but UConn in. A Memphis win could take an at-large away from someone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT