ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage?

No but Brian posted paints interview after the scrimmages which is probably more telling as he lays it all out there. Some takeaways from his interview.

1. Bad shooting day. In particular he got on Colvin about doing more than just shooting when their not falling…

2. Down on physicality. Later he acknowledged berg brought it and implied Jacobsen did not and went on about him needing to learn.

3. High on Harris and Cox being second ball handler like Lance was. Says it is good at getting out of presses and takes pressure off Braden. It sounds like those two may see the floor a lot.

4. Heide will get minutes but will be combination of 3 and some 4z.

5. High in TKR can do everything and is maniacal at prepararion

6. Acknowledged they still have tough decisions to make (including redshirts, starters, and whether on lineup will stand out as the best that we start with or if we will adjust lineup based on matchups. He did say different games will change how much each player plays but with 13 good guys he has that flexibility even though it will frustrate some plauers

7. Basically said it’s Braden and everyone else, the others haven’t pulled away from the group yet.

Anyone go to them today.
Yes. It was a fun day at Mackey Arena today. The highlight for me was the hour and twenty minutes of nearly nonstop action of the men's team scrimmage. I entered with some thoughts and opinions as most of us have. Some of those changed today.
Teams were switched at least three times and everyone played against and with everyone else, so I wouldn't read too much(maybe a little bit) into the starting lineups.
Black - Smith, Loyer, Renn, Harris, Furst
Gold/White - Cox, Berg, Waddell, Colvin, Heide
Jacobsen, Benter, and Burgess came off the bench, but all 13 played pretty much equally for the full scrimmage.
Guard play - Smith, Harris, Cox, and Colvin went at each other tooth and nail all day. Braden was shooting and passing very well. Cox was probably the leading scorer for the day and very impressive. He had the ball stolen twice but he stole it from others as well. Harris is very good defender. Colvin is an all-around player now and not just a shooter. Defender, rebounder, passer. Loyer shot well and made very good decisions. He mostly guarded Benter and Waddell and occasionally Harris.
Forward/Center Play - Renn will play the most, so I will analyze the other 4.
Best shot blocker - Jacobsen
Best Passer - Furst
Best Shooter - Burgess
Always in the right place and positioning - Berg
Best Running the Floor - Furst and Burgess
Jacobsen seemed frustrated with the veteran savvy and physicality of Furst and Berg. He will contribute, but I don't see him starting from what I saw today. I see Furst or Berg starting, depending on matchups. I know Burgess could red-shirt but he showed me a lot today. He will be a Boiler favorite someday, maybe sooner than later.
I think the crowd was very encouraged by what we saw today. Those of you thinking that if the rotation gets shortened to 8 or 9 in Jan/ Feb that Caleb is the odd man out, from what I saw today that ain't happening. I overheard several fans saying "Caleb looks really good". I didn't have high expectations for Furst, Burgess, or Waddell and they all changed my opinion today. I'm glad Painter has these tough decisions to make and not me.

I was very impressed with burgess today. He's got the outside shot and he is physical inside. And I agree we barely looked for the post outside of tkr will be more perimeter oriented. And we are going to love g Harris he will start day 1 with Braden in the backcourt

Last edited:
I was very impressed with burgess today. He's got the outside shot and he is physical inside. And I agree we barely looked for the post outside of tkr will be more perimeter oriented. And we are going to love g Harris he will start day 1 with Braden in the backcourt
I didn’t see the scrimmage today but have been a big burgess fan since he committed. My only concern is how we get him mins this year!?

Yes. It was a fun day at Mackey Arena today. The highlight for me was the hour and twenty minutes of nearly nonstop action of the men's team scrimmage. I entered with some thoughts and opinions as most of us have. Some of those changed today.
Teams were switched at least three times and everyone played against and with everyone else, so I wouldn't read too much(maybe a little bit) into the starting lineups.
Black - Smith, Loyer, Renn, Harris, Furst
Gold/White - Cox, Berg, Waddell, Colvin, Heide
Jacobsen, Benter, and Burgess came off the bench, but all 13 played pretty much equally for the full scrimmage.
Guard play - Smith, Harris, Cox, and Colvin went at each other tooth and nail all day. Braden was shooting and passing very well. Cox was probably the leading scorer for the day and very impressive. He had the ball stolen twice but he stole it from others as well. Harris is very good defender. Colvin is an all-around player now and not just a shooter. Defender, rebounder, passer. Loyer shot well and made very good decisions. He mostly guarded Benter and Waddell and occasionally Harris.
Forward/Center Play - Renn will play the most, so I will analyze the other 4.
Best shot blocker - Jacobsen
Best Passer - Furst
Best Shooter - Burgess
Always in the right place and positioning - Berg
Best Running the Floor - Furst and Burgess
Jacobsen seemed frustrated with the veteran savvy and physicality of Furst and Berg. He will contribute, but I don't see him starting from what I saw today. I see Furst or Berg starting, depending on matchups. I know Burgess could red-shirt but he showed me a lot today. He will be a Boiler favorite someday, maybe sooner than later.
I think the crowd was very encouraged by what we saw today. Those of you thinking that if the rotation gets shortened to 8 or 9 in Jan/ Feb that Caleb is the odd man out, from what I saw today that ain't happening. I overheard several fans saying "Caleb looks really good". I didn't have high expectations for Furst, Burgess, or Waddell and they all changed my opinion today. I'm glad Painter has these tough decisions to make and not me.
Thanks for the insight! Based on what you saw today who would you say best complements Braden?

Thanks for the insight! Based on what you saw today who would you say best complements Braden?
The thing I love about Braden is that he takes the time to talk with each guy. He doesn't just gravitate to his buddies. He wants to be comfortable with everyone. Today the last rotation was the first time that he and Myles played together and guess what. They were great together. It was the best that Myles looked offensively all day. Renn and Loyer also look good with Braden. He makes everyone better.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
The thing I love about Braden is that he takes the time to talk with each guy. He doesn't just gravitate to his buddies. He wants to be comfortable with everyone. Today the last rotation was the first time that he and Myles played together and guess what. They were great together. It was the best that Myles looked offensively all day. Renn and Loyer also look good with Braden. He makes everyone better.
For sure. Just was curious as paint usually will give the most mins to players who complement the best player the best and was curious if there any that stood out that played the best with the beard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT