ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Scout team offense

Stacy_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2004
We didn't do an analysis piece today but wanted to point out something I noticed watching the No. 1 defense against the scout team offense: The scout team offense better be a lot sharper Wednesday.

It's full of freshmen, basically, so I suppose they get a pass for first-day-not-knowing-what-they're-doing, but Greg Hudson isn't going to let them get away with it much longer.

The whole point of scout team is to run the opposing team's plays exactly how they're drawn up. A GA shows the scout team guys a card, which has exactly where each guy is supposed to go. It was so disjointed and had no tempo -- bad, considering Marshall will push tempo at times -- that I don't even think it helped the defense get prepared at all.

More than once -- like A LOT -- Hudson had to tell the offensive line to hurry up and get in a stance so they could run the play. At one point, he specifically called out the right guard (I won't) and said, 'Who are you? Let's go!' Hudson, as he was with David Blough last season, was really hard on Elijah Sindelar, too, to get the ball out of his hands. The QBs want to sit there and wait and wait and wait for somebody to get open. Hudson wants the guy to throw it in a timely fashion. We'll see if Sindelar speeds it up.

Rubin Carter appears to be the coach in charge, so to speak, of the scout team offense, but he wasn't particularly focused on getting those guys to run things in a timely or energetic fashion. I'm assuming that's why, midway through, secondary coach Taver Johnson raced away from the defensive sideline to huddle up the offense and try to light a fire under them. He absolutely RIPPED Alex Hilger for not running the correct route on one play and also yelled at Sindelar at one point, "Hey, Elijah! You got to throw it, man!"

Will definitely be watching Wednesday closely to see if there's improvement there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News