ADVERTISEMENT

Sbnation Has Purdue at 5-7 This Season

I know we have one of the hardest schedules in the country this year. However, we have our first 4 games at home. If we could sweep them, which is an if, we could surprise some experts this year. Our offense will be our strength. We will see how fast it takes for our defense to gel with so many new faces this year.

Some very good in-depth analysis for the coming season. They are projecting a 5-7 record, which is where see us. We could be 7-5 with a little luck. Very excited for the up coming season. BTFU...

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/a.../purdue-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster
5-7 is a joke. We play our first 4 games at home. We play BC, not Clemson. We play Missouri, not Alabama. NW may not have Thorson available, and they are vulnerable. Brohm has the whole summer to prepare - if I was Fitz I’d be worried. We will start 3-1 or 4-0. After that there are many winnable games (IU, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, even Wisky at home.)

This is an 8+ win team.

5-7 is a joke. We play our first 4 games at home. We play BC, not Clemson. We play Missouri, not Alabama. NW may not have Thorson available, and they are vulnerable. Brohm has the whole summer to prepare - if I was Fitz I’d be worried. We will start 3-1 or 4-0. After that there are many winnable games (IU, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, even Wisky at home.)

This is an 8+ win team.

8 will be tough, but I agree 5 is a joke. I feel very confident we win at least 6.

Reactions: Gary Boiler

This is an 8+ win team.

You think we are that much better than Missouri with how they finished the year and what we lost on the front 7?

Start with beating BC and Eastern Michigan and losing to NU and Missouri. 2-2.
That would be baseline.

If the front seven is BAD, 1-3 is possible. If it’s better than expected and we get the breaks v Missouri and northwestern, we have a chance to fight for 3-1 or even better.

Problem with 4-0 is you do realize Brohm will turn into the guy that every school who might be remotely looking wants, right?

You think we are that much better than Missouri with how they finished the year and what we lost on the front 7?

That would be baseline.

If the front seven is BAD, 1-3 is possible. If it’s better than expected and we get the breaks v Missouri and northwestern, we have a chance to fight for 3-1 or even better.

Problem with 4-0 is you do realize Brohm will turn into the guy that every school who might be remotely looking wants, right?
Oh, please. So tired of the Chicken Littles in this fanbase. We’re going to beat NW and Missouri. We smoked them in their own house. The game this year may be closer, but we won’t lose to them. Our offense will be better this year. Our defense won’t be quite as good, but it will still be quite good by recent standards.

Oh, please. So tired of the Chicken Littles in this fanbase. We’re going to beat NW and Missouri. We smoked them in their own house. The game this year may be closer, but we won’t lose to them. Our offense will be better this year. Our defense won’t be quite as good, but it will still be quite good by recent standards.

Agree. Year one we should have had 8 wins. Those Rutgers/Nebraska games.. Despite the losses, I don't see a regression. I'm going with 7 wins. I'd say the team is even hungrier, plus more Brohm recruits

I’m 2005 I was you

I’m 2005 I was you

In 2005 we were preseason number 15. Everyone thought we were going to be good.

The defense was extremely highly regarded.

I don’t understand why you’d cherry pick a season from a decade ago when we didn’t meet expectations and use that to ridicule a fan who thinks we’re going to outperform expectations this year.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
In 2005 we were preseason number 15. Everyone thought we were going to be good.

The defense was extremely highly regarded.

I don’t understand why you’d cherry pick a season from a decade ago when we didn’t meet expectations and use that to ridicule a fan who thinks we’re going to outperform expectations this year.

I’m not ridiculing anyone, merely saying that starting 2-2 based on the improvement of Missouri last year and what we lost in the front 7 is baseline..

I’m not ridiculing anyone, merely saying that starting 2-2 based on the improvement of Missouri last year and what we lost in the front 7 is baseline..

Baseline last year was 3-5 wins. Got 7. Baseline can suck it. If those teams want to beat Purdue, they better show up, because even when Purdue was outgunned, they faugt like hell. I expect more of the same. If that offense gets it figured out, the defense can take a step back and the team could still take a big step forward. I am drinking that optimism koolade and it tastes so good.

That would be baseline.

Lol. Don’t want to do too well because Brohm will leave. Joke.

Lol. Don’t want to do too well because Brohm will leave. Joke.

I really see 8-4 as an absolute high end scenario.. I’d like to not get there or 7-5 by starting 4-0 because yeah I really don’t want the college football world deciding Brohm is THE candidate...

I think once he gets the 2019 class on campus it will be much easier to keep him

I really see 8-4 as an absolute high end scenario.. I’d like to not get there or 7-5 by starting 4-0 because yeah I really don’t want the college football world deciding Brohm is THE candidate...

I think once he gets the 2019 class on campus it will be much easier to keep him
I would think going 3-5 down the stretch would lessen his appeal more than starting slow and winning a bunch at the end. Either way this is just silly

I would think going 3-5 down the stretch would lessen his appeal more than starting slow and winning a bunch at the end. Either way this is just silly

What is just silly? I’m not suggesting they drop games on purpose. I firmly believe we have a 2-2 football team through four...

If we not only had Neal and bailey back in the front seven but also Robinson and McCollum ok now 4-0 is very realistic

What is just silly? I’m not suggesting they drop games on purpose. I firmly believe we have a 2-2 football team through four...

If we not only had Neal and bailey back in the front seven but also Robinson and McCollum ok now 4-0 is very realistic
Being afraid to lose Brohm if we win too many games (or too many in a row? or too many to start the year? not even exactly sure what you're afraid of, but rest assured it is silly)

Being afraid to lose Brohm if we win too many games (or too many in a row? or too many to start the year? not even exactly sure what you're afraid of, but rest assured it is silly)

Ok let me make sure in clarify... I’m not afraid I’m realistic about hype.. I actually think we will be 2-2 which has the added bonus of keeping that hype at bay ... I think the hype won’t get off the ground early and when we are 7-5 it won’t have gotten off the ground at all.. which may take that 2-3 Jobs that would entice anyone off the table..

Then I think in 2019 we go buck wild

I do not understand why people think that Brohm would have no loyalty to Purdue and take another job right away. He clearly has the support of the AD and the President of the University. The campus loves the energy surrounding the program. Everything is on the upswing, including recruiting.

Purdue is giving him salary, assistant salaries and facilities. They gave him his entry to the P5. He has to know that. To just assume that he is going to say,"forget that" and go elsewhere is not reasonable imo.

I know that the IU fans want that to happen. They can see the handwriting on the wall. A resurgent Purdue plus the Eastern B1G translates into extended mediocrity or worse for their FB program. There is a reason why, unlike most schools, the BB coach is paid more than the BB coach there.

And then what? He leaves?

No I’m thinking once he gets that class on campus and sees what they can be and starts to see what he can have access to in terms of even better recruits ... he realizes “why go somewhere ‘better’? With these facilities I can recruit the best here.”

If he goes 10-2 in 2019 he’s the best thing since sliced bread. IF he does it at LSU people will want to know what all the hype was about.

If we make it through 2018 without losing him and if we go to a bowl... we’ve paved the way for a real turnaround

No I’m thinking once he gets that class on campus and sees what they can be and starts to see what he can have access to in terms of even better recruits ... he realizes “why go somewhere ‘better’? With these facilities I can recruit the best here.”

If he goes 10-2 in 2019 he’s the best thing since sliced bread. IF he does it at LSU people will want to know what all the hype was about.

If we make it through 2018 without losing him and if we go to a bowl... we’ve paved the way for a real turnaround
He isn’t leaving after 2018

I'm sure glad Brohm is our coach. He is going into each game expecting to win and having a game plan that will give us a chance to do so in every game. We'll win more than many on here are expecting, just like last year.

This is an 8+ win team.
I hear BC has a very good running game. Anyone else heard this

They do, but are pretty one-dimensional. Their best RB graduated I believe.
Pre-2017 we would make all running backs look like Heisman winners. I think we will be surprised by how little our defense will drop off this year. I consider BC to be in the win column.

Pre-2017 we would make all running backs look like Heisman winners. I think we will be surprised by how little our defense will drop off this year. I consider BC to be in the win column.
I agree, especially at home. Part of the fanbase will whine when I say it, but Purdue has a good chance of being 4-0 to start the season. 4 straight home games against teams that are beatable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT