ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers is hopefully the best defense we face…

depthcharge623

Sophomore
Dec 31, 2013
Rutgers is #3 in Kenpom Defense, and a really bad matchup for us. I don’t feel good about how much we turned the ball over at the end against the press, but you have to think that might be the best press we face from here out and we came out on top with a respectable number of points.

UCLA and Tennessee are both ahead of Rutgers and could be potential opponents in the tournament, but UCLAs best defender is out for the season. Tennessee is physical and athletic but I’m hoping we don’t face them- maybe they get kicked early without Zeigler.

Overall I thought we did what we had to against a good Rutgers team, and I was pleasantly surprised with how well we shot the ball.

Rutgers is #3 in Kenpom Defense, and a really bad matchup for us. I don’t feel good about how much we turned the ball over at the end against the press, but you have to think that might be the best press we face from here out and we came out on top with a respectable number of points.

UCLA and Tennessee are both ahead of Rutgers and could be potential opponents in the tournament, but UCLAs best defender is out for the season. Tennessee is physical and athletic but I’m hoping we don’t face them- maybe they get kicked early without Zeigler.

Overall I thought we did what we had to against a good Rutgers team, and I was pleasantly surprised with how well we shot the ball.
Don’t understand why every year the team struggles against the press. Would really like to see it coached in a different way.

Most physical as refs in Big Ten let it go. They will see better defenses overall with longer more athletic players.

Don’t understand why every year the team struggles against the press. Would really like to see it coached in a different way.

I hear you, but I think Painter drew up some better stuff, and the players just didn't execute.....I would love if they would plan to attack when they cross half-court. Using Mason Gillis (and/or Zach Edey) will help. So.....while there were some mind-blowing mistakes, I think if they just execute better and focus, it may not cost them a game.....that's maybe Black & Gold tinted vision, though. :)

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I hear you, but I think Painter drew up some better stuff, and the players just didn't execute.....I would love if they would plan to attack when they cross half-court. Using Mason Gillis (and/or Zach Edey) will help. So.....while there were some mind-blowing mistakes, I think if they just execute better and focus, it may not cost them a game.....that's maybe Black & Gold tinted vision, though. :)
You can’t just draw it up on the board during the game. That’s really hard for players to understand during the heat of the game. This must be executed and practiced during practice time not game time.

Reactions: Gesysp

I’m just as concerned that Zack will be surrounded by quick athletic players allowed to foul…maybe more concerned

You can’t just draw it up on the board during the game. That’s really hard for players to understand during the heat of the game. This must be executed and practiced during practice time not game time.

I don't disagree, Skydog, but I'm fairly confident they work on it (Gillis said as much).....with a lot of different looks. The one thing you can't replicate is the extent o the pressure/length with a team like Rutgers.....you can try, but it is different when facing them directly in the heat of the moment.

I get the frustration though because they're still making mistakes.....and not meaning to absolve Matt Painter, but at some point, guys have to make the plays when under pressure....and not make the panic play.

I also agree with others that I would also try using Zach Edey coming forward at times. I like using Gillis too, but he did make one terrible mistake after receiving an inbounds pass. Let's see how they do in the next go-around.....we all know it's coming.

JMHO

I don't disagree, Skydog, but I'm fairly confident they work on it (Gillis said as much).....with a lot of different looks. The one thing you can't replicate is the extent o the pressure/length with a team like Rutgers.....you can try, but it is different when facing them directly in the heat of the moment.

I get the frustration though because they're still making mistakes.....and not meaning to absolve Matt Painter, but at some point, guys have to make the plays when under pressure....and not make the panic play.

I also agree with others that I would also try using Zach Edey coming forward at times. I like using Gillis too, but he did make one terrible mistake after receiving an inbounds pass. Let's see how they do in the next go-around.....we all know it's coming.

JMHO
The concern I would have that may not be a concern is Zach’s passing which has left much to be desired in quick situations. Braden would probably need to get a handoff where one …maybe two defenders swarm the ball for handoffs. May not be a problem at all, but Zach has struggled with quickness and passing

Reactions: PurdueDave
The concern I would have that may not be a concern is Zach’s passing which has left much to be desired in quick situations. Braden would probably need to get a handoff where one …maybe two defenders swarm the ball for handoffs. May not be a problem at all, but Zach has struggled with quickness and passing
also of concern is the FT shooting and to a lesser degree we have 2 or 3 possessions every game where a rebound can't be corraled and the other team gets 3 extra possessions

Reactions: SKYDOG
Whether we face a more physical team, depends on the refs. If they allow players to mug each other, this will not be the last of it.

also of concern is the FT shooting and to a lesser degree we have 2 or 3 possessions every game where a rebound can't be corraled and the other team gets 3 extra possessions
Those things could be a problem in a given game and not much you can do about it. Having Zach handle the ball against a press would be a choice and it may work out great, but his passing has not been great lately and so there are concerns that may or may not be legit

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT