ADVERTISEMENT

Rule ignorance?

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
Why is it excessive celebration when a person is running towards the end zone and about to score with his arms outstretched, but not excessive celebration when punter makes a great punt and pins the team deep and does a golf move as eh just hit a drive?

SEC announcers of TV went hard and heavy on how bad Mizzou was and nto sure they think much of Purdue..even dismissed the first game with Lousiville.

Why is it excessive celebration when a person is running towards the end zone and about to score with his arms outstretched, but not excessive celebration when punter makes a great punt and pins the team deep and does a golf move as eh just hit a drive?

SEC announcers of TV went hard and heavy on how bad Mizzou was and nto sure they think much of Purdue..even dismissed the first game with Lousiville.
That excessive celebration call on us was terrible. I think he put his arms up like that in disbelief that he just ripped through their D like that. But yeah I agree. If they are going to call celebration penalties on every high five that lasts too long, have to be consistent.
I thought the SEC announcers were fair. We have been terrible for a long time and Mizzou IS obviously a mess right now. The SEC network seemed to take some time to pull some stats that were relevant to our program history. A sign of respect in my opinion.

That excessive celebration call on us was terrible. I think he put his arms up like that in disbelief that he just ripped through their D like that. But yeah I agree. If they are going to call celebration penalties on every high five that lasts too long, have to be consistent.
I thought the SEC announcers were fair. We have been terrible for a long time and Mizzou IS obviously a mess right now. The SEC network seemed to take some time to pull some stats that were relevant to our program history. A sign of respect in my opinion.
it jsut appeared to me that they thought that teh SEC team was really playing bad now rather than a BIG team that hasn't been very good for a while...playing well. I just hope Michigan thinks it is a fluke, becasue if Purdue can land a KO in that one....winning will really grow contagious

I remember once in the game today where their defense stopped us and the guy extended both arms like a plane, similar to Wright, and did this to the sideline and nothing was said or done. Similar to targeting in game 1, we always seem to get these calls.

it jsut appeared to me that they thought that teh SEC team was really playing bad now rather than a BIG team that hasn't been very good for a while...playing well. I just hope Michigan thinks it is a fluke, becasue if Purdue can land a KO in that one....winning will really grow contagious
Yeah I'm sure they were conflicted. They are announcers for the SEC so I think some cheerleading can be forgiven. My immediate thought watching the half time show was this must be how the BTN announcers have felt covering our games the last few years

The unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the rulebook is an "including but not limited to" list, so it is subjective (Rule 9, Section 2, Article 1). That said, I think both actions directly violated one of the infractions specifically called out in the rulebook.

The Mizzou punter: "Any delayed, excessive, prolonged or choreographed act by which a player (or players) attempts to focus attention upon himself (or themselves)."

On the Purdue touchdown: "An unopposed ball carrier obviously altering stride as he approaches the opponent’s goal line or diving into the end zone."

The fact that so any games are televised has really watered down the quality of announcers. The offsite rules consultants like Mike Pereira that many networks link in during broadcasts are a direct result of announcers not studying and understanding the rules of the game they call.

Reactions: tjreese
I think the difference is that in one case the play was still happening while in the other two the play was over. I don't like the rule, but Dustin Keller got called for the same type of thing at Toledo in 2007. At the time, the yardage was tacked on to the kickoff. Same deal with Marve in 2010 (2011 maybe) at Notre Dame. Today, it negates the TD if accepted.

Question...technically, the penalty was declined since there was also a holding call that was more beneficial to Mizzou. In that case, since the penalty was declined, why did it count as an unsportsmanlike penalty that could potentially lead to a player ejection? I could understand if it had been accepted, but since it was declined, it's almost as if the penalty never happened.

I think the difference is that in one case the play was still happening while in the other two the play was over. I don't like the rule, but Dustin Keller got called for the same type of thing at Toledo in 2007. At the time, the yardage was tacked on to the kickoff. Same deal with Marve in 2010 (2011 maybe) at Notre Dame. Today, it negates the TD if accepted.

Question...technically, the penalty was declined since there was also a holding call that was more beneficial to Mizzou. In that case, since the penalty was declined, why did it count as an unsportsmanlike penalty that could potentially lead to a player ejection? I could understand if it had been accepted, but since it was declined, it's almost as if the penalty never happened.

On the unsportsmanlike, I believe it counts toward ejection if you're flagged for it, regardless of whether it is declined or part of off-setting penalties. That would be consistent with the purpose of trying to curb the behavior.

To borrow some basketball vernacular....that was close to a nickel/dimer, however.

Should have been at least a two-stroke penalty or stroke and distance.

On the unsportsmanlike, I believe it counts toward ejection if you're flagged for it, regardless of whether it is declined or part of off-setting penalties. That would be consistent with the purpose of trying to curb the behavior.

I think that is the correct interpretation. Just because the penalty wasn't enforced doesn't mean that you didn't commit the infraction.

Reactions: pboiler18

it happened at ND with Stubblefield. My point is that one was called and both could have been called. One was holding his arms out to signal he was about to get a TD and the other was nothing to do with football which in itself must fall into the attention getter. He was golfing.

Now, I don't like either one being called, but both should have been called or both ignored.

it happened at ND with Stubblefield. My point is that one was called and both could have been called. One was holding his arms out to signal he was about to get a TD and the other was nothing to do with football which in itself must fall into the attention getter. He was golfing.

Now, I don't like either one being called, but both should have been called or both ignored.
and while I was about to post the Stubblefield TD on video I found what I wanted with the Tiller figure posted somewhere a couple of days ago

Trace McSorely at Penn State always does the home run swing as he's coming off the field after a TD pass, yet it's never called.

Man.. the speed we had on both sides of the ball back then.
The speed Purdue has this year is nice and that was mentioned by the announcers. 'Purdue looks like they are at a track meet.' I think that's what they said and that was the first or second drive. The main aspect of that is it appears Purdue players are fully knowledgeable of the playbook and confident and that allows you to play at near full speed all of the time. Again, the announcers mentioned that in the long over throw by Blough for what should have been a TD.

The speed Purdue has this year is nice and that was mentioned by the announcers. 'Purdue looks like they are at a track meet.' I think that's what they said and that was the first or second drive. The main aspect of that is it appears Purdue players are fully knowledgeable of the playbook and confident and that allows you to play at near full speed all of the time. Again, the announcers mentioned that in the long over throw by Blough for what should have been a TD.
not sure how true it is, but they said it and it appeared that way some of the time

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT