ADVERTISEMENT

If you think Edey is hard to officiate you are part of the problem.

Oct 20, 2016
Including Purdue fans. I'm tired of hearing it! The rules are clear. You can't swipe down on a players arms. You can't put your full body weight into an offensive players even as the primary defender, you can't hold a players arms and claw at them, and you can't lock arms in front of an opposing playing on ft shots. All of these things are fouls no exception. I'm tired of hearing from fans, press and media that he is hard to officiate. It's a cop out and people who say it are f'ing idiots.

No where in the rules book does it say "these are the rules unless you are bigger than the opposing team."

I would say the big ten should be ashamed, but they could give two shits. Is it an embarrassment of course. Will anything change of course not. They should want one of their great teams to get the number one overall to give them the best chance to succeed.

I have been critical of refs in the past, but no one will even convince me Purdue lost this game due to "turnovers". The refs let the game get away from them, and never tried to remedy anything. There is a reason Edey was seen throwing passes to no one. Something he has barely done all year. It's because NW was literally HANGING onto him on every possession. It's sad, and almost unbelievable at the same time. How do these f'ing refs still get to be employeed after they call a game it's hard to say they didn't have money on?

I understand it can be hard to make calls in real time, but when you get all the time you want on replays, and still do not make calls based on the rules?? Gillis clearly went for the ball. It's obvious that the NW player was hit by Jenkins and then bounced off Gillis, but nothing in the rules dictated that play being upgraded to a flagrant. NOTHING! The refs influenced that game until the final sec and will see no punishment. I understand there will be games that Purdue has to overcome bad calls, but in these situations how is any team expected to come out ahead?

This is my rant for the night as a day later I am still upset as I have even been by a loss. I never expected Purdue to go unbeaten, even after an unexpected brilliant start, but games like this should show people why it's so hard to make it deep into the NCAA tourny. One bad officiating night and your team is toast. Sad but true. Games like the Purude NW game don't get teams ready for the NCAA tourney they hinder them as they aren't basketball games but boxing matches and should have no place is college basketball.

God speed Boiler fans and I hope we get to hang a national championship banner this year.

Including Purdue fans. I'm tired of hearing it! The rules are clear. You can't swipe down on a players arms. You can't put your full body weight into an offensive players even as the primary defender, you can't hold a players arms and claw at them, and you can't lock arms in front of an opposing playing on ft shots. All of these things are fouls no exception. I'm tired of hearing from fans, press and media that he is hard to officiate. It's a cop out and people who say it are f'ing idiots.

No where in the rules book does it say "these are the rules unless you are bigger than the opposing team."

I would say the big ten should be ashamed, but they could give two shits. Is it an embarrassment of course. Will anything change of course not. They should want one of their great teams to get the number one overall to give them the best chance to succeed.

I have been critical of refs in the past, but no one will even convince me Purdue lost this game due to "turnovers". The refs let the game get away from them, and never tried to remedy anything. There is a reason Edey was seen throwing passes to no one. Something he has barely done all year. It's because NW was literally HANGING onto him on every possession. It's sad, and almost unbelievable at the same time. How do these f'ing refs still get to be employeed after they call a game it's hard to say they didn't have money on?

I understand it can be hard to make calls in real time, but when you get all the time you want on replays, and still do not make calls based on the rules?? Gillis clearly went for the ball. It's obvious that the NW player was hit by Jenkins and then bounced off Gillis, but nothing in the rules dictated that play being upgraded to a flagrant. NOTHING! The refs influenced that game until the final sec and will see no punishment. I understand there will be games that Purdue has to overcome bad calls, but in these situations how is any team expected to come out ahead?

This is my rant for the night as a day later I am still upset as I have even been by a loss. I never expected Purdue to go unbeaten, even after an unexpected brilliant start, but games like this should show people why it's so hard to make it deep into the NCAA tourny. One bad officiating night and your team is toast. Sad but true. Games like the Purude NW game don't get teams ready for the NCAA tourney they hinder them as they aren't basketball games but boxing matches and should have no place is college basketball.

God speed Boiler fans and I hope we get to hang a national championship banner this year.
Watching part of North Carolina Miami game, nice to see officials call fouls, hip checks, moving screens...not allowing any of grabbing etc, letting players have freedom of moment. C'mom Big Ten officials!

I think other teams watch these films and use them to determine how much they can get away with on Edey, because it seems their is no end to the depth or intensity of fouling , it keeps intensifying, enough is enough, Edey losing 10+ points a game on fouls alone, add that to our losses, there are none.
Hope they clean this up or it will ruin things big time.

We need to start recruiting football players like Kramer and Craft if B1G games are going to be officiated like that.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Coaches have access to video with great slicing and dicing capabilities. Does Painter send clips of what is happening to Edey to league offices ? Fouls were a big factor in the loss but missing 12 WIDE OPEN threes in a row also were a factor. If the latter keeps happening, Purdue will not go far.

Reactions: Roeder
Morton had the right idea when he drove and scored the only basket other than Edey. Newman should do the same if he is off from deep. Furst and Gillis were good in the first half. Caleb was hammered a couple times underneath in the second half and that took him out of his game.

No TKR in the second half. It might have been good to have him play a few minutes to take the focus away from Zach. Mix things up.

Watching part of North Carolina Miami game, nice to see officials call fouls, hip checks, moving screens...not allowing any of grabbing etc, letting players have freedom of moment. C'mom Big Ten officials!
Funny thing is, my understanding is that crew primarily works non-Big Ten games.

When Edey shoots he typically moves toward the basket. That makes it tough, because if guys have their hands straight up and his entire body and arms are moving to the basket there will be contact. Both on the body and on his arms but its not necessarily a foul if the defender is holding his ground with his arms straight up. Most guy when they post up either go straight up to shoot over the defender or fade away to avoid getting the shot blocked. That's just one area where Edey's game is somewhat unique.

I'm not saying there aren't fouls that are missed, I'm just saying that's what makes it difficult for the refs.

Painter should have a ton of tape from this game to send to the league office. I am hopeful that it makes a difference down the stretch.

When Edey shoots he typically moves toward the basket. That makes it tough, because if guys have their hands straight up and his entire body and arms are moving to the basket there will be contact. Both on the body and on his arms but its not necessarily a foul if the defender is holding his ground with his arms straight up. Most guy when they post up either go straight up to shoot over the defender or fade away to avoid getting the shot blocked. That's just one area where Edey's game is somewhat unique.

I'm not saying there aren't fouls that are missed, I'm just saying that's what makes it difficult for the refs.
That's the thing though. It doesn't matter if Edey is going into the defender (assuming it's not a charge situation) if the defender is upright and straight in his defense then it should never be a foul. The defender is allowed his space and is in 100% legal position if they maintain verticality. He can even be moved backwards if the move is initiated by the offensive players.

The mason foul where Newman came from behind and blocked the shot should have been a great example of this. Mason was vertical and unmoving. Exactly what the rules states. These a$$ hat refs can't even get this call right when it has been an point of topic for a decade.

There my be a few very specific situations where Edey's play can hide fouls. Whether that be on the offensive or defensive side, but the refs still know what fouls are and what causes these fouls. It is easy to see a guy leaning his whole body weight on another player. This is a foul even if it isn't visibly affected the other player. Refs just choose not to call it. There will always be some level of interpretation with human officials, but leagues would be better off to make them call games by the letter of the law than to have a game played where every possession you can point to another foul occuring and nothing being called. It's ridiculous that players are supposed to "adjust to the refs" each games. Do the rules change from game to game? No. It's just these idiots who want some of the spotlight on them. Players know the rules and practice within said rules everyday. There should never be a huge swing in the way the rules are implied from game to game.

• Love
Reactions: Zaphod_B
Watching part of North Carolina Miami game, nice to see officials call fouls, hip checks, moving screens...not allowing any of grabbing etc, letting players

So, you either get a Wisconsin type of game where the officials let it turn into a rock fight and it looks like two wrestling teams trying to play basketball, or the officials call everything, slow the game down to a game in the 40's, which results in a rock fight and looks like two wrestling teams trying to play basketball.......

Part of this is the fact that Purdue runs a low post, half court offense which requires the other team to play a lot of defense. Often times that defense is going to get physical and the refs simply can't call a foul every trip down the floor.

We need to start recruiting football players like Kramer and Craft if B1G games are going to be officiated like that.
Disagree. I think Painter needs to move away from the low post offense. Recruit more athletes and score in transition.

Coaches have access to video with great slicing and dicing capabilities. Does Painter send clips of what is happening to Edey to league offices ? Fouls were a big factor in the loss but missing 12 WIDE OPEN threes in a row also were a factor. If the latter keeps happening, Purdue will not go far.
Northwestern shot 18 percent from 3 and beat the number one team. Let that sink in.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Disagree. I think Painter needs to move away from the low post offense. Recruit more athletes and score in transition.
We understand the type of system that you prefer to watch. It seems odd that you would harp on that during the success of this season. I know, you think success in the ncaa tournament depends on a different approach. Holtman has recruited a whole team of exceptional athletes. Some of the best in the BIG we were told preseason. Doesn't always work out with that approach either.

That doesn’t work with that type of officiating. When you can grab and hold, quickness and skill is negated. Size and power is rewarded.

If the B1G is going to be BennettBall, we need to assemble a 90s Knicks style team with a bunch of Craft/Kramer/Andy Kowske/Nojel Eastern/Mike Kelley types.

That doesn’t work with that type of officiating. When you can grab and hold, quickness and skill is negated. Size and power is rewarded.

If the B1G is going to be BennettBall, we need to assemble a 90s Knicks style team with a bunch of Craft/Kramer/Andy Kowske/Nojel Eastern/Mike Kelley types.
Baylor was kind of that way when they won it all. Big, physical types.

We understand the type of system that you prefer to watch. It seems odd that you would harp on that during the success of this season. I know, you think success in the ncaa tournament depends on a different approach. Holtman has recruited a whole team of exceptional athletes. Some of the best in the BIG we were told preseason. Doesn't always work out with that approach either.
Painter has pretty much run the offense through the low post for the last what, 10-12 years? What's the result been in the tourney. A S16 ceiling.
Interestingly, when he didn't have a low post offense and his big (Haarms) was more of a stretch 4, is when he had his best shot at a FF. Maybe this year will be different (maybe not).

It'll be an interesting argument that if Purdue doesn't make the FF but sat at No1 for more weeks than any other team, whether that's considered a successful or failure for the season.

Reactions: wallyboiler79
Baylor had 2 guards who were both really athletic and could create their own shots. They were more guard oriented than big oriented. Their bigs were there to play D and rebound, not necessarily go to for scoring.

Baylor had 2 guards who were both really athletic and could create their own shots. They were more guard oriented than big oriented. Their bigs were there to play D and rebound, not necessarily go to for scoring.
NBA guys like that aren’t going to want to come play BennettBall in the B1G, when they can go play free flowing NBA type ball in the ACC or PAC-12.

Reactions: Erock_94
I would agree, that’s at least a huge part of it.
If you watch ACC basketball, in general, the teams are more athletic, play a more up tempo, offensive focused style. Not many teams like WI, NU, Rut that want to muck it up and turn it into a 46-45 wrestling match. In the ACC, they mostly want to outscore you, versus prevent you from scoring.

There are several reasons why the B1G hasn't won a title in 20+ years. I believe the main one is style of play which to me includes the way games are called. Those of us that watch a lot of basketball outside of the B1G see the differences.

I have gotten to the point that I watch very little B1G if PU isn't involved or directly effects us. It just isn't a fun style to watch. There is better basketball out there and the record in the tournament shows that.

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
I watched a few minutes of an SEC game and there were no armbars on the big man or hand checking from the guards on top. It was more free flowing.

Reactions: SKYDOG
You must have forgotten a player named Trevion Williams, who was the AA dominant low post player on that team. Haarms was his back-up and was not playing and NBA-type center roll.

I loved the OSU kansas game. They blew some pretty big calls to help kansas. But it didn't look like they were trying to hurt eachother physically. Two great teams imo

Not really... They really only played 8 guys. 3 of them were 6-8, 6-9 and 6-10 but the other 5 were 6-2, 6-3, 6-3, 6-4 and 6-5. Their top 4 scorers were all guards and they started 3 guards. Winning a national championship has been proven to take great guards.

Not really... They really only played 8 guys. 3 of them were 6-8, 6-9 and 6-10 but the other 5 were 6-2, 6-3, 6-3, 6-4 and 6-5. Their top 4 scorers were all guards and they started 3 guards. Winning a national championship has been proven to take great guards.
Guards are what win in the tourney.

Alabama at Tennessee tonight at 7:00. For those looking for something outside the B1G, this should be a good one. Two physical, athletic teams.

Reactions: TX4GB
There are several reasons why the B1G hasn't won a title in 20+ years. I believe the main one is style of play which to me includes the way games are called. Those of us that watch a lot of basketball outside of the B1G see the differences.

I have gotten to the point that I watch very little B1G if PU isn't involved or directly effects us. It just isn't a fun style to watch. There is better basketball out there and the record in the tournament shows that.
I agree w/ your 2nd paragraph, I thought I might be one of the few. It just isn't fun to watch in fact will not watch nw - iu. I enjoy watching Creighton play or some of the BIG12 games

ADVERTISEMENT