ADVERTISEMENT

Rothstein: A surprise Big Ten team could make a run to the Final Four (link)

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...g-ten-team-could-make-a-run-to-the-final-four

Maryland, Iowa, Michigan State, and Indiana have all received significantly more attention than Purdue this season, but that doesn't mean Matt Painter's squad can't put it all together when things matter most.

In a season highlighted by parity, Purdue stands out as an off-the-radar team that could make a run because of its experience, depth, and ability to control the paint.

The Boilermakers' interior trio of A.J. Hammons, Isaac Haas, and Caleb Swanigan is as good a front-court triumvirate as there is in college basketball and once this team gets outside the Big Ten, that could be a major difference maker.

Hammons had been an enigma for most of his career, but now he's playing like somebody who knows he's only got a few months left in his college basketball career.

The 7-foot senior had 19 points, 13 rebounds, and eight blocks in Tuesday's overtime win over Michigan State, all while exuding the type of grit and determination that Matt Painter has been asking him to show throughout his entire four years in West Lafayette.

His presence is the main reason why the Boilermakers could wind up as the four or five seed that comes out of nowhere next month.

Reactions: Jamboiler
I am a lifelong Boiler fan. I'm not a hater or a troll...but I am not buying into the hype again this season. The problem with this team is we could just as easily lose in the opening round of the tourney.

Reactions: gr8indoorsman
I am a lifelong Boiler fan. I'm not a hater or a troll...but I am not buying into the hype again this season. The problem with this team is we could just as easily lose in the opening round of the tourney.

I'm not predicting it but I acknowledge that this team is capable of that type of run. And yes, also capable of getting upset in round 1.

That can happen to any team this year. There is no one team that stands out & it's been proven this year more than any, that on any given night...

Why not just enjoy a team that, while chaotic, is exceedingly fun to watch? We have good camaraderie, we don't have ego problems, & the tools are there to beat anyone in the country. Think about how this team differs from the one we had just two years ago.

I love this team!

If we play well for 40 minutes (instead of 24 minutes), I think a deep run in the tourney is possible. Then again, if we play one of those games where we shoot 3 for 25 from the arc, it will be 1 and done!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT