ADVERTISEMENT

Ross-Ade

Jul 15, 2017
How long until we sell out on a regular basis? What is likely the next phase regarding renovations?

How long until we sell out on a regular basis? What is likely the next phase regarding renovations?
Actually sent an email to Bobinski a few weeks ago about an idea I had for them to think about when doing the South Endzone Renovation. I suggested removing that lower parking lot directly behind the scoreboard and creating a lower-level Purdue All Sports HOF that people could visit at any time. It could be tied in to the stadium and be used for events/catering/weddings/etc just like the press box is already. This is the response I got back:

"Appreciate your note and thinking about the Ross-Ade South Endzone project. Your idea is timely--it’s our intention to re-engage with a design team in the next few months to review program elements and possibilities for the project and we’ll make sure this gets included in the conversation. The biggest challenge we have is trying to keep the scope of the project from becoming so overwhelming that we can’t realistically manage the economics in any reasonable time horizon—hoping we can come up with a concept that meets our needs and is financially viable.
Thanks again for being in touch."
Boiler Up!

Great email to get back as he wasn't dismissive or negative at all like I some times got back from Burke. I think Bobinski realizes that there needs to be some advancement made with the south end zone because it really is a sort of sore spot but he isn't just going to throw money at the problem. When looking at the grand scheme of the football program, the south end zone really only matters to the fans and not so much to the coaches and players beyond aesthetics of the field. I believe painting the scoreboard black was a stop-gap for a few years to help it blend in with the stadium but will likely be torn down during the course of a renovation. It's old and outdated and won't fit in to what is likely to be built.

With the football performance center being completed and really addressing most issues, I think it would be a great idea to move the Training Table (athletics food) in to that are and allow it to serve a dual purpose of feeding athletes and providing catering/boxes for game day.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the game day locker rooms was next then the South Endzone. Or, have they already put in the game day locker rooms?

Actually sent an email to Bobinski a few weeks ago about an idea I had for them to think about when doing the South Endzone Renovation. I suggested removing that lower parking lot directly behind the scoreboard and creating a lower-level Purdue All Sports HOF that people could visit at any time. It could be tied in to the stadium and be used for events/catering/weddings/etc just like the press box is already. This is the response I got back:

"Appreciate your note and thinking about the Ross-Ade South Endzone project. Your idea is timely--it’s our intention to re-engage with a design team in the next few months to review program elements and possibilities for the project and we’ll make sure this gets included in the conversation. The biggest challenge we have is trying to keep the scope of the project from becoming so overwhelming that we can’t realistically manage the economics in any reasonable time horizon—hoping we can come up with a concept that meets our needs and is financially viable.
Thanks again for being in touch."
Boiler Up!

Great email to get back as he wasn't dismissive or negative at all like I some times got back from Burke. I think Bobinski realizes that there needs to be some advancement made with the south end zone because it really is a sort of sore spot but he isn't just going to throw money at the problem. When looking at the grand scheme of the football program, the south end zone really only matters to the fans and not so much to the coaches and players beyond aesthetics of the field. I believe painting the scoreboard black was a stop-gap for a few years to help it blend in with the stadium but will likely be torn down during the course of a renovation. It's old and outdated and won't fit in to what is likely to be built.

With the football performance center being completed and really addressing most issues, I think it would be a great idea to move the Training Table (athletics food) in to that are and allow it to serve a dual purpose of feeding athletes and providing catering/boxes for game day.

This is a terrific reply from Bobinski and a nice change from the previous regime. It doesn't take much to listen to and be nice to your customers. Bobinski is secure enough about his competence that he does not get irritated with the paying customers.

What if we just took a wrecking ball to everything that was built prior to 2003 and built a modern version of Autzen stadium integrated with the pavilion. Is the main horseshoe itself still worth building around? The seats are worn, the entire north end zone is too far from the field, and how long before major concrete repairs are required?

What if we just took a wrecking ball to everything that was built prior to 2003 and built a modern version of Autzen stadium integrated with the pavilion. Is the main horseshoe itself still worth building around? The seats are worn, the entire north end zone is too far from the field, and how long before major concrete repairs are required?
I thought they should have torn down Ross Ade and built a new stadium where the IM fields are located right behind the Co-Rec along with an attached football complex. The stadium would be right in the middle of campus and traffic would flow easily from the new 231S and 231N to connect to 52 and 65.

Reactions: Mullah
The length of time depends on this year’s product I believe. I could see us starting next year selling out regularly, if we improve again this year. Next year, we will have an experienced offense and the new defense this year will be better next year. Along with some exciting recruits, Karlaftis, Rice, hopefully Bell, etc., that will just make the team that much more marketable.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I haven't seen any recent articles on it but this article from 2017 talked about adding the game day locker rooms first because we need to raise the capital for the big South Endzone Project. We just raised $1,685,851.00 from the JPC members. We probably just need $200 Million plus more! Tic.

"An updated game day locker room inside Ross-Ade Stadium. At least that’s athletic director Mike Bobinski’s plan. How fast Bobinski can fulfill this goal is the question."

"Improving and upgrading the stadium in manageable and reasonable phases is part of Bobinski’s long-term plan. Instead of tackling the entire project at once, creating the new game day locker room helps the program in the short term."

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...ootball-facility-projects-upcoming/479847001/

Reactions: Mullah
I haven't seen any recent articles on it but this article from 2017 talked about adding the game day locker rooms first because we need to raise the capital for the big South Endzone Project. We just raised $1,685,851.00 from the JPC members. We probably just need $200 Million plus more! Tic.

"An updated game day locker room inside Ross-Ade Stadium. At least that’s athletic director Mike Bobinski’s plan. How fast Bobinski can fulfill this goal is the question."

"Improving and upgrading the stadium in manageable and reasonable phases is part of Bobinski’s long-term plan. Instead of tackling the entire project at once, creating the new game day locker room helps the program in the short term."

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...ootball-facility-projects-upcoming/479847001/
$200 million would likely build an entirely new stadium if it was available to Purdue. I kind of wish they would have done that instead of rehabbing Ross Ade but that time has come and gone for likely another 25-30 years. Hopefully I can win a billion dollar lottery some time and get my name on the stadium.

$200 million would likely build an entirely new stadium if it was available to Purdue. I kind of wish they would have done that instead of rehabbing Ross Ade but that time has come and gone for likely another 25-30 years. Hopefully I can win a billion dollar lottery some time and get my name on the stadium.
If you would be willing to share those winning number combinations sometime, it would be greatly appreciated. I know my wife and kids would appreciate it too.

To me, a better idea than lousy South end zone seating is to build an upper deck to the East sideline. While a grad student at Michigan State, I sat in the upper deck, and I loved the view of the field. Despite what one might think, you could easily see the entire field, yet feel very much a part of the hoopla and excitement. An added bonus is that you would have a great view of the empty seats in the middle of the West stands, as those who pay enormous fees for these prime seats sit inside the press box, consume mixed drinks, and eat non-bons.

To me, a better idea than lousy South end zone seating is to build an upper deck to the East sideline. While a grad student at Michigan State, I sat in the upper deck, and I loved the view of the field. Despite what one might think, you could easily see the entire field, yet feel very much a part of the hoopla and excitement. An added bonus is that you would have a great view of the empty seats in the middle of the West stands, as those who pay enormous fees for these prime seats sit inside the press box, consume mixed drinks, and eat non-bons.
I think the second deck was a poor idea by Burke. Before you add seats, you have to show an ability to sell out every game no matter the opponent for multiple years. I’d rather money be dumped to upgrades (WiFi, video boards, experiences, player development tools, etc) rather than the stadium.

Reactions: Purdue11
It’s called home field advantage mainly due to the home teams fans causing communication problems on the sideline and on the field. Half the fan noise escapes that south end zone until a permanent structure is built there to finish the stadium as one building. I believe it is now obvious the upper deck project is still very much on the table. If it were not, the new stadium lighting wouldn’t need to be so high or built concave, affording more space. That is just my opinion and it will stil be many years before said upper deck it is built. I’d hope to see construction begin on the end zone immediately following this coming season.

Reactions: pboiler18
It’s called home field advantage mainly due to the home teams fans causing communication problems on the sideline and on the field. Half the fan noise escapes that south end zone until a permanent structure is built there to finish the stadium as one building. I believe it is now obvious the upper deck project is still very much on the table. If it were not, the new stadium lighting wouldn’t need to be so high or built concave, affording more space. That is just my opinion and it will stil be many years before said upper deck it is built. I’d hope to see construction begin on the end zone immediately following this coming season.
I doubt the south end zone gets started after this coming season. They are revisiting plans for it this summer and after spending the money on the performance center along with needing to greatly update the game day locker rooms, I'll bet the south end zone doesn't get started until after the 2020 season at the earliest. My guess is they'll try to pocket some of the B1G Network/Fox Sports/ESPN money over the next few years to put towards the project.

2020 sounds about right as a best case scenario. It will take 18 months to concept/design, create construction docs and get approved at the govt level.

I do think the east side needs something added to even-out the look of the stadium a bit. Doesn’t have to be a 2nd deck but maybe just some sort of design mixed in with those light poles that adds some height to rival the press box.

Reactions: LonestarBoilerFan
I doubt the south end zone gets started after this coming season. They are revisiting plans for it this summer and after spending the money on the performance center along with needing to greatly update the game day locker rooms, I'll bet the south end zone doesn't get started until after the 2020 season at the earliest. My guess is they'll try to pocket some of the B1G Network/Fox Sports/ESPN money over the next few years to put towards the project.
I assume the game day locker rooms will be part of the south end zone project.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I think the second deck was a poor idea by Burke. Before you add seats, you have to show an ability to sell out every game no matter the opponent for multiple years. I’d rather money be dumped to upgrades (WiFi, video boards, experiences, player development tools, etc) rather than the stadium.

I don’t disagree with you. But I think the idea was transferring seats with a crappy view (south end zone) to seats with a good view (upper deck on east stands). So not necessarily a net gain in capacity.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
...I suggested removing that lower parking lot directly behind the scoreboard and creating a lower-level Purdue All Sports HOF that people could visit at any time...

I hate to give them kudos, but I recently attended an academic event in the south end zone facility at IU. I'm not sure what all they have there, but there is a museum of sorts along with a event space overlooking the field. Similarly, Alabama starts campus tours from a visitors center in the stadium.

Of course there is typically plenty of parking by a stadium (other than 6 Saturdays in the fall). It's a pretty good way to get more use out of an athletic facility.

I hate to give them kudos, but I recently attended an academic event in the south end zone facility at IU. I'm not sure what all they have there, but there is a museum of sorts along with a event space overlooking the field. Similarly, Alabama starts campus tours from a visitors center in the stadium.

Of course there is typically plenty of parking by a stadium (other than 6 Saturdays in the fall). It's a pretty good way to get more use out of an athletic facility.
Heck, why not put in a restaurant, bar, or a hotel in there !!??

Heck, why not put in a restaurant, bar, or a hotel in there !!??

The WestZone Club at Clemson provides an all-inclusive pregame buffet and appetizers at halftime, personal locker with iced cooler (for your favorite adult beverages) and cups, mixers and ice provided in the locker area. No hotel yet, but they've pretty much got the restaurant and bar covered. I doubt it's any different at places like Alabama, Ohio State or Southern Cal.

Big money donors expect their perks!

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT