ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Mount Shooting School...

Do Dah Day

All-American
Nov 8, 2015
Jordan Mount shared a link to the group: Indiana High School Basketball Fans.

I say it every year that its my grandpas last year doing camps but here he is at 71 doing another round teaching a new generation how to shoot. I've seen it my whole life so I'm not too impressed anymore but it's incredible to watch the rocket rewind time to put up some silky smooth jumpers and teach the art of shooting. I'm leaving the link to his camps which are all in Lebanon the first day he shoots in front of the campers for an hour to demonstrate. If you are a kid, parent, an Indiana High School basketball fan, ESPN, or none of the above you don't want to miss this.

http://www.rickmountshootingschool.com

Surely he's not still knocking down jumpers at 71. I went out a couple of years ago with my son and grandson and couldn't even get it to the rim. And Mount is 7 yrs older than me.

Surely he's not still knocking down jumpers at 71. I went out a couple of years ago with my son and grandson and couldn't even get it to the rim. And Mount is 7 yrs older than me.
EDITED FOR BRAIN LAPSE - he hunts and fishes a lot. Uses his legs. He doesn't elevate as well or knock 'em down from 30' .... but the ones he shoots all go in. And he still loves falling out of bounds in the corner baseline.

Last edited:
He's not quite the "Splendid Splinter" anymore, but he hunts and fishes a lot. Uses his legs. He doesn't elevate as well or knock 'em down from 30' .... but the ones he shoots all go in. And he still loves falling out of bounds in the corner baseline.
I think you have Mount confused with Jimmy Rayl.

Since you obviously know Rick, can you provide the answer to a question. The Purdue vs UCLA basketball championship was before my time. All I know is the final result and box score. My question is, going into that game, was it expected to be closer, or was UCLA the far better team and expected to win? Was there something that happened before or during the game that altered our strategy? Or was it more of Alcindor just dominated everybody that year? Does Rick ever tell stories of his college days?

Since you obviously know Rick, can you provide the answer to a question. The Purdue vs UCLA basketball championship was before my time. All I know is the final result and box score. My question is, going into that game, was it expected to be closer, or was UCLA the far better team and expected to win? Was there something that happened before or during the game that altered our strategy? Or was it more of Alcindor just dominated everybody that year? Does Rick ever tell stories of his college days?
I haven't talked with Rick in several years. We hunted several times during the 70's and I sponsored some of his clinics during the '80s and '90s. He tends to be a private guy. The Richie time period was touchy. Best to talk about squirrels and pheasants and small mouth bass. He hasn't spent any time talking about his college days to me. Bavis was hurt in the NCAA game ... and they were damn good.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and RowdyB
Interview with Rick talking about PU days

Rick on shooting from a few years ago.

A good interview about shooting

I haven't talked with Rick in several years. We hunted several times during the 70's and I sponsored some of his clinics during the '80s and '90s. He tends to be a private guy. The Richie time period was touchy. Best to talk about squirrels and pheasants and small mouth bass. He hasn't spent any time talking about his college days to me. Bavis was hurt in the NCAA game ... and they were damn good.

Pretty much the same Purdue team played Alcindor's UCLA team down to a last-second shot (by Bill Sweek of all people) a year earlier in the Mackey opener. And the Bruins were great: 88-2 and three NCAA championships in Alcindor's three seasons.

That said, we had a heck of a team that year too with Mount, Gilliam, Keller et al. Mount made his first two shots, then missed 14 straight. With Bavis out, reserve center Jerry Johnson was eaten alive by Alcindor.

Jordan Mount shared a link to the group: Indiana High School Basketball Fans.

I say it every year that its my grandpas last year doing camps but here he is at 71 doing another round teaching a new generation how to shoot. I've seen it my whole life so I'm not too impressed anymore but it's incredible to watch the rocket rewind time to put up some silky smooth jumpers and teach the art of shooting. I'm leaving the link to his camps which are all in Lebanon the first day he shoots in front of the campers for an hour to demonstrate. If you are a kid, parent, an Indiana High School basketball fan, ESPN, or none of the above you don't want to miss this.

http://www.rickmountshootingschool.com
Anyone know if any Purdue players in the past 10 years have received shooting lessons from Rick Mount? If not, I would be curious to know why, because top players do get private lessons to strengthen their game.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Anyone know if any Purdue players in the past 10 years have received shooting lessons from Rick Mount? If not, I would be curious to know why, because top players do get private lessons to strengthen their game.
Good question and wonder if part of it has to do with the icy relationship Mount had with Purdue for so long.

Good question and wonder if part of it has to do with the icy relationship Mount had with Purdue for so long.
The icy relationship had a lot to do with two main factors:

1. His treatment in his post college days. He was really rubbed the wrong way by Burke, which should come as no surprise considering there are multiple athletes who have expressed the exact same sentiment about Burke after their playing careers were over. For some reason, I want to say Gary Harris' mom expressed some type of similar feelings at some point after Gary was at MSU...but I could be confusing that for something else.

2. Richie's treatment while at Purdue under Keady. I think Rick thought Richie should have really been playing more frequently than he did under Gene. He played in 17 games his first season but then only played in 2 the next season. I know there was some hurt pride on RIck's own admission at some point I have heard about. Rick has incredible pride about himself and I think seeing Rich struggle a bit when he thought he should have gotten more time drove a bit of a wedge between the two sides.

I think the bobble head promo a few years ago and then the awesome banner in Lebanon that was put up really smoothed over a lot of the feelings on both sides. I know Rick was taken aback with his return to Mackey for the bobble head night...wish we could make him a bit more prominent in the program as a 'legacy coach' who could come in and work with the shooters. Would be nice to make some of the big names 'legacy coaches' as well to help them feel closer to the program and make it even more of a family environment. Wouldn't hurt to have some of these legends feel welcome inside the locker room and practice court as long as the egos are checked at the door.

In the early-80's, Rick Mount was offered by GK to be an assistant, contingent on him finishing course work to graduate. For some reason, Mount was offended by that. Seems like a minimum requirement.

GK then later extended an olive branch by recruiting the young Mount (probably wished he never had). When the kid rarely played, then transferred, Mount wasn't around for years.

In the early-80's, Rick Mount was offered by GK to be an assistant, contingent on him finishing course work to graduate. For some reason, Mount was offended by that. Seems like a minimum requirement.

GK then later extended an olive branch by recruiting the young Mount (probably wished he never had). When the kid rarely played, then transferred, Mount wasn't around for years.

I remember Keady encouraging Zo to get his degree so that he could coach. Mount was at Purdue for at least 4 years. I can't believe he had very many classes to complete to finish his degree.

I remember Keady encouraging Zo to get his degree so that he could coach. Mount was at Purdue for at least 4 years. I can't believe he had very many classes to complete to finish his degree.
Just some trivia --- "Mount never received a national player of the year award. He finished behind UCLA's Lew Alcindor and LSU's Pete Maravich."

there's a lot more out there - like what is the shot called that Rick made to beat Marquette in the the last two-seconds of OT to send us to the final four?

A LOT of answers to a lot of questions in this article.

“I’m a very private person,” is how he starts. “I’m not an outward guy to make a lot of friends. That might have been something.”

https://eu.indystar.com/story/sport...rdue-hero-rick-mount-mending-fences/94682876/

Please remember, this is the mid 1960s - Vietnam, JFK, MLK, RFK ... and Lebanon is a small town, and Rick was just another basketball junky in the most basketball state .. until he wasn't. No AAU, no elite teams, no big city courts. My friends and I drove to Memorial Park many summer evenings to play ball. Rick was always there with the twins and others, players from other towns drove to play. His HS played Crawfordsville and Tipton, Elwood .. .not Crispus Attucks or Marion. Rick loves hunting and fishing .. times when he is only with a couple of people he knows well...

Last edited:
Just some trivia ---

there's a lot more out there - like what is the shot called that Rick made to beat Marquette in the the last two-seconds of OT to send us to the final four?

I am not sure what you are looking for regarding a name for the shot Mount hit. I was sitting in the stands at the Purdue end between the circle and the time line opposite the team benches in the eighth row. Mount got the ball at the top of the circle, right side. He dribbled past a screen set by Jerry Johnson on the right side of the key, rose up for a jump shot, and as John deCamp would say, swish!

I am not sure what you are looking for regarding a name for the shot Mount hit. I was sitting in the stands at the Purdue end between the circle and the time line opposite the team benches in the eighth row. Mount got the ball at the top of the circle, right side. He dribbled past a screen set by Jerry Johnson on the right side of the key, rose up for a jump shot, and as John deCamp would say, swish!
At the time, it was referred to as the "leaping lofter." For those who watched Rick a lot, his leap and high arch were commonplace, but for the national media, not so much.

I was about 6 rows from the top even with the free-throw line in the PU crowd. Those damn stands really swayed. McGuire throwing his plaid coat is etched in my mind.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
From what I imagine (pieced together with what I read), it sounds like DJ's dad David might have known Rich from playing against each other in school (Crawfordsville/Southmont/North Montgomery) are just down the road from Lebanon), and David reached out to Rick through Rich. It doesn't look like something arranged between Purdue and Rick...

From what I imagine (pieced together with what I read), it sounds like DJ's dad David might have known Rich from playing against each other in school (Crawfordsville/Southmont/North Montgomery) are just down the road from Lebanon), and David reached out to Rick through Rich. It doesn't look like something arranged between Purdue and Rick...
yes

At the time, it was referred to as the "leaping lofter." For those who watched Rick a lot, his leap and high arch were commonplace, but for the national media, not so much.

I was about 6 rows from the top even with the free-throw line in the PU crowd. Those damn stands really swayed. McGuire throwing his plaid coat is etched in my mind.

Thanks Triple D. I don't recall ever hearing that.

I also think RM was turned down for CC job because he didn't have a degree.

That is rather sad. It took my mom 28 years, but she completed her BS in Nursing from UW. I earned my BS in Information Systems at age 42 from USF in the 90's. I've taught at several junior colleges where the average age of students was 33+. Today, there are a lot of non-traditional students going to school . I have to believe Rick was close to completing his degree. That degree would have opened a lot of opportunities for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT