ADVERTISEMENT

Reserve Les the fishbowl at Harry's NOW...why are we being picky?

Jan 1, 2005
I'm laughing that we are being picky...I kind of think back to some of my days at Purdue when my friends (not me) - used to say "those girls aren't hot enough" - as we played cribbage and searched for the Apartment party we could go to that may have a girl at it.

FOR THE LOVE OF PURDUE PETE...If A GUY LIKE LES MILES WILL LISTEN TO US - WE NEED TO TAKE THE PURDUE BAND, GOLDEN GIRL, THAT BIG DRUM, THE BOILERMAKER SPECIAL AND RESERVE HIM THE FISHBOWL AT HARRY'S NOW!!!!

I know little about Les Miles - other than he coached at LSU for many years - honestly - that's good enough for me. I listened to him the day after he was fired on the Dan Patrick show (great program) - and I thought he sounded great. Clearly - they had paid him not to say anything bad - but he was all about the kids.

Les Miles alone - brings name recognition to Purdue. I think he would be looked at like in the same breath as Harbough and Meyer. I'm not saying he will be that good - what I am saying is "his press conference at Big 10 media day will see the light of day on ESPN". Also - I think having his name - will get us some extra pop in the media. If he does well - he will be on shows like the DP show telling the story about Purdue.

Who cares if he is old. Look at what Bill Snyder has done in his old age. If we could get 5-7 years out a guy like Les Miles, get us back to actually winning games and playing in a bowl game - then I'm all in.

Frankly, just about anyone would be an upgrade over DH2 coaching wise. What we need most right now is an influx of talent. There are two basic hires we could make to attract recruits: (1) an energetic, tireless, charismatic younger coach (Fleck) (2) An accomplished household name (Miles). Honestly I'm fine with either one and longevity is not a concern of mine. The younger coach could just as easily move on after a few years. Recruit and develop depth and get the program back to the point where we could attract the type of coach who won't touch this program in its current state.

You'll love Miles if you loved Danny Hope's clock management.

Guy was a good coach about 6 years ago. The game has passed him by at this point. He retired on the job there and they were tired of it and fired him.

We have to be careful about who we hire as our next coach. Just anybody and it doesn't fix our talent situation. We need a guy who's going to recruit lights out AND run a good scheme. That's not going to be Les Miles. There's a reason he got fired. He's not the Les Miles that won national championships. He's the Les Miles that would have struggled to win 7 games at a power like LSU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT