ADVERTISEMENT

Replay Review - Iowa

mreman1220

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2007
I have deleted a few beers before typing this, so apologies for the quality in advance of this edition of Replay Review.

QBs – Aidan O’Connell started this game a little uneven. Of the 5 throws in the first drive, I counted only one “accurate” throw. Wright and Durham both made nice catches adjusting to high and low throws respectively. He then overthrew Thompson on a sideline throw and tried a tightly covered Anthrop on third down leading to a punt. He really settled down in the second drive going 4/5 and all 4 completions being accurate throws. Most of the throws are of the short variety but they allowed Aidan to gain confidence. From there he started throwing some dimes. Those over the shoulder throws to Bell were damn near perfect. The TD pass to Bell was a beautiful ball. Was very impressed with the deep sideline throw to Thompson. O’Connell had to shed a sack and make that throw under heavy duress and managed to put it only where Thompson could get it.

I know some people will question playing Plummer and Burton. I don’t think subbing a QB out for a play or two here and there is a big deal. It’s basically the same as having O’Connell hand off two plays in a row. It’s not going to mess with his rhythm. I start to have an issue with playing two QBs when the starter sits an entire series. Plummer had a few nice runs that I think were vital. That first down run by Plummer for 13 yards was great read option execution by Plummer. Burton didn’t do too much but I was glad to see him not take too big of risks to make a play in the little time he played. Was really mature of him to throw away that TD pass play that was never there.

RBs – Solid day for Doerue. His option run on third down was a huge conversion. Was certainly made possible by some nice blocks by Wright and Long but he had to squeeze between a couple tackles. His biggest impact was blocking though. There were a couple plays where Iowa brought a LB and Doerue picked it up with great blocks. One would have absolutely been a sack but Doerue gave time for O’Connell to hit Wright on a 2nd & 10 first down conversion.

Downing didn’t have a crazy statistical day but that 3rd down conversion of his was huge. O’Connell was forced to check down to him when Durham was covered tightly. Downing made the CB miss and pushed the LB for the first. Great play.

WRs – Bell obviously was incredible. He was so badly in Hankins head that in the 4th quarter, Hankins just drifted off into no man’s land to keep Bell in front of him. This allowed Bell to get an easy first down catch. As for the others, another solid day for Wright including a couple catches that weren’t the most accurate throws. Also great to see Wright be such a willing blocker. That big 3rd down conversion by Doerue on the option was made possible by a great block by Wright on the CB.

Sheffield’s route running is very crisp. He had several in-and-out routes in which the DB or LB didn’t stand a chance. Purdue’s second TD drive simply doesn’t happen without Sheffield. On a third and short Sheffield ran a nice quick route to give O’Connell an outlet while under heavy pressure. Three plays later he got another big third down conversion on a quick hitch route getting just enough for the first. He capped the drive off catching that underneath rub route for the TD.

Purdue wanted to hit Thompson on the hitch and go route so badly. One was executed to perfection with O’Connell giving the pump fake. Thompson was briefly held though. The second attempt was the 2nd & 10 attempt at the endzone. The Iowa corner read it better to contest it though. His catch on that desperation throw by O’Connell.

TEs – Durham was largely used as a check down and in the short passing game as a receiver but had a big day as a run and pass blocker. The two biggest was a block on the 13 yard read option run by Plummer and a beautiful block on the DE on that 60 yard bomb to Bell. On the passing play Durham went into motion and kept the DE in front of him to give O’Connell time to unwind the pass.

Another rough day for Garrett Miller. He blew a block on a run attempt in the red zone that led to a TFL on Doerue. The play put Purdue in a third and long situation that Purdue couldn’t convert.

OL – Overall a great day by the OL. Purdue often got the ball out of O’Connell’s hand quickly but there were several plays where O’Connell just sat back because he had time to throw. Long had a rough stretch right at the beginning of the 4th. His hold on the Sheffield jet sweep was tough because he didn’t need to do it. That DE wasn’t catching Sheffield. He got called for another hold 4 plays later. In between the two holds he gave up heavy pressure to O’Connell. The play worked out though because G. Miller was interfered with. He also got beat pretty badly on that deep sideline jump ball catch by Thompson.

Holstege had mostly a good day. Aside from a missed block that forced an early throw by O’Connell he was effective. One of his biggest blocks was on that screen pass to Wright on Purdue’s second offensive play. The receivers mostly blew their blocks but Holstege ran up to give Wright a big block to get the first. He also sprung Burton on a read option and Doerue on decent 4-6 yard gains.

I didn’t see many mistakes out of Hartwig, Witt or E. Miller. Witt had one run play where he got beat and Doerue got hit for no gain but was great other than that. Eric Miller in particular was great. He really has improved greatly within this past year. O’Connell was only sacked once but that was more Iowa just drawing up a good blitz that included a DE stunt. It was such a chaotic play I don’t blame the OL for missing the block as it was 5 on 5 with no help from a TE or RB.

Overall it was great to see the offense open up. Brohm drew up plays that allowed O’Connell to throw for the sticks on third and long instead of some LOS nonsense that has no chance. I think that was a big reason why O’Connell got into a groove throughout the game and just kept feeding Bell.

Defense

DL – Karlaftis is a beast. That is all. You can tell that he has been working on his hand work. He dispatches OTs so easily just using his hands. Crazy. Another understated great game from Lawrence Johnson. He gets great jump at the snap despite being 300 lbs. He and Deen were big reasons why those back to back Petras sneaks didn’t work in the 4th quarter. It’s so much fun watching Deen and Johnson because they both play with so much energy. Deen is quickly becoming a very disruptive pass rushing DT. He got the sack but should have gotten a sack thanks to similarly nice move but Petras threw it away while being spun to the ground. Thought Jenkins had his best day so far. Still has a little ways to go but took advantage of attention going to others. His first TFL in this game was due to a bizarre blocking decision by Iowa. He pretty much came free on the play. He did do a good job pushing Petras back on that 4th and short QB sneak attempt. Petras might have gotten it but Jenkins didn’t quit.

LBs – Really thought Douglas had a nice understated day as well. It is crazy how fast he can diagnose a play and shoot the gap the RB wants. Goodson had to adjust several runs because Douglas had blown up the gap he was supposed to run through. He also did a great job absorbing blocks for Alexander or Grant to clean up the tackle.

Alexander was mostly active in pass coverage. Didn’t make any huge plays but did a good job limiting several underneath plays to RBs and TEs to 2-4 yards. Plays that don’t jump out at people but big when you are forcing a team to 3rd and 4th downs. Not a big day for Graham as he was in pass coverage more often than not in this game but that goal line play. He read it like a freaking book. Saw the receiver go into motion and took a couple steps back. At the snap he just sorta drifted into the flat while keeping his eye on Petras. It was like he knew the play call. Just didn’t catch it lol.

DBs – Glad to see Allen have a good week. He had a rough couple games against Illinois and Minnesota. You could tell Petras wanted to go deep a few times but I can’t help but think Allen’s coverage was why he didn’t. The first pick was a really nice undercut of LaPorta. That takes some agility to pull off. His second landed in his lap but hey pad those stats. Grant had another great day in run support. He and Alexander always seem to converge on the RBs that squeak through the DL at the same time. He also had that big deflection on Iowa's 3rd and long attempt in the 3rd quarter. His lone mistake was a terrible tackle attempt on the long KR by Kelly Martin. Reverted back to some bad habits from his freshman year by dropping his head to make a big hit, only to bounce off without effect.

I know Allen got Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week but I really think Mackey deserves more recognition for what might have been the best day at CB we have seen in a long time. Petras only threw his direction 4 times. The first he broke up and Douglas picked off. Petras didn’t throw his way again till well into the 4th quarter and Mackey had good coverage but Petras managed to sneak it in. The third attempt was his interception and the 4th was a meaningless hitch route on Iowa’s last possession. Mackey also had a huge TFL on Goodson on 3rd & 6 during Iowa’s first possession of the 2nd half. If he misses that Goodson gets the first down easy and possibly much more.

Brown got off to a rough start. He was in soft coverage on Iowa’s first play of the game that resulted in that long 38-yard play. He quickly recovered though and made a couple nice tackles in run support.

Special Teams – Won’t dwell here because it is 11pm and I am almost out of Bell’s Octoberfest. Fineran missed a gimme which was wild to see after his hot start. Not too worried about it. Kickers will miss if they have to attempt 12 FGs in the first 6 games. Ansell had rough statistical day but often had to kick in the wind. His last few punts had to happen fast as well because Iowa was going all out for the block.

Van Eeckeren had a few kicks short of the goalline. Two were into the wind so I am not too worried about those but he did have a short one the other day.

Some gaffs in the return game. Brothers and Downing completely whiffed on the PR that nearly resulted in a TD. Thankfully Durham managed to make a crazy shoestring tackle while getting blocked. Grant had that bad tackle attempt that gifted Kelly Martin a nice long KR.

Not too worried about all this. Kickers and punters were going into the wind or rushed and the coverage issues are easy fixes.

Fun game! Hope we see more!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News