ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Class Rankings

Not the biggest fan of the coach or the scheme but the talent that’s been brought in lately is pretty undeniable. No excuses left for poor performance. The coach has bought time with his recruiting. Need results on the field now.
This is where we differ in opinion.......Just because a player came from an SEC school does NOT automatically make him a better player than the players we lost. Stars are also not talent. They are estimates of talent perceived. When the players PROVE that they have talent THEN we have talent. Have not seen that yet but hope to.

Just a reminder that we are picked to finish LAST in the BIG 10.........sometimes the sports writers get that wrong but often they get it right. Add our extremely tough schedule and the prediction becomes plausible.

You all will eventually jump off of the Walters bandwagon at some point. I hit that point earlier than most of you.

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
This is where we differ in opinion.......Just because a player came from an SEC school does NOT automatically make him a better player than the players we lost. Stars are also not talent. They are estimates of talent perceived. When the players PROVE that they have talent THEN we have talent. Have not seen that yet but hope to.

Just a reminder that we are picked to finish LAST in the BIG 10.........sometimes the sports writers get that wrong but often they get it right. Add our extremely tough schedule and the prediction becomes plausible.

You all will eventually jump off of the Walters bandwagon at some point. I hit that point earlier than most of you.

Estimates of talent perceived.. lol gtfo troll

Reactions: tbird2017 and z_one

We've improved the overall personnel of this team more that just about anyone in the B1G. IN the portal we lost 1 major difference maker, a nice speedy receiver, maybe 3 marginal guys you'd have rather kept for veteran depth. They've added improved talent all over the field. Walters has had to completely turn the roster over and he has done so. Denying this makes no sense whatsoever.

We've improved the overall personnel of this team more that just about anyone in the B1G. IN the portal we lost 1 major difference maker, a nice speedy receiver, maybe 3 marginal guys you'd have rather kept for veteran depth. They've added improved talent all over the field. Walters has had to completely turn the roster over and he has done so. Denying this makes no sense whatsoever.

No no, talent isn't talent until it's talent. And sportswriters are predicting us last in the B1G, so you should just hop off the Walters bandwagon now. He is clearly not a good coach, just look at the difficult schedule. Why would he do that? He should know not to make that schedule.

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18 and z_one
Disagree. We had 3 great players returning and 2 left in scourton and Burks (Thieneman being the 3rd). We lost several other returning starters including nearly our entire experienced WR room. I think we improved at DB and potentially could have a good OL. All the other guys have potential but none have proven anything on the field, annd the potential we have picked up from sec in past has had mixed and never great results, all lottery tickets.

Disagree. We had 3 great players returning and 2 left in scourton and Burks (Thieneman being the 3rd). We lost several other returning starters including nearly our entire experienced WR room. I think we improved at DB and potentially could have a good OL. All the other guys have potential but none have proven anything on the field, annd the potential we have picked up from sec in past has had mixed and never great results, all lottery tickets.

Burks was far from great - had one good game against Fresno State for about 25% of his total year's yards, which was barely above 600. Had 2 games with more than 5 catches, only the aforementioned game above 100 yards receiving. I would rather have him than not, but he wasn't a Rondale Moore out there (not even close).

Wide out can't be worse this year than last, even without Burks.

Burks was far from great - had one good game against Fresno State for about 25% of his total year's yards, which was barely above 600. Had 2 games with more than 5 catches, only the aforementioned game above 100 yards receiving. I would rather have him than not, but he wasn't a Rondale Moore out there (not even close).

if Losing Deion Burks is insurmountable… we’re in trouble…

Burks was absolutely not a great player. Come on. He averaged like 40 yards a game outside of the season opener. that was his only 100 yard game, and like 86 came on his first catch of the season when like 7 guys inexplicably whiffed on the tackle. His drop rate was really bad as well. He's fast and can make some plays, but great is a ridiculous thing to say. The other WRs we lost, give me a break. Talk about JAGS.

Burks was absolutely not a great player. Come on. He averaged like 40 yards a game outside of the season opener. that was his only 100 yard game, and like 86 came on his first catch of the season when like 7 guys inexplicably whiffed on the tackle. His drop rate was really bad as well. He's fast and can make some plays, but great is a ridiculous thing to say. The other WRs we lost, give me a break. Talk about JAGS.

I would rather have Burks than not. But he is no longer here so it doesn’t matter. Our 2023 receivers had good hands. Receivers like Yaseem rarely dropped balls. The issue for them was about getting separation and getting open.

Last year our main focus was Burks. Opposing DBs take Burks out of the game, we were hamstrung.

The comments are correct. Our 2024 receiving room is young and unproven. We will not know what we have until they take the field. What we do know is that our 2024 receivers are taller and faster.

I assume CJ Smith will be faster than Burks because of his “Olympic Type” speed.
Leland Smith our 6’5 receiver with 4.4 speed.
The coaches had Edrine tabbed as our WR1 last year before his season ending injury. We get to finally see what the coaches saw last year.
Dixon-Veal and Tibbs took a big leap in development and should be a presence this season.
Morrisette, Sowinski, Kam Brown should be a steady possession receivers like Yaseem was.

And a lot of young hungry receivers to step up. I see our offense spreading the ball around to all sorts of receivers. Opposing DBs can not just shut one receiver down.

That is why I think we are in better position than last year. But they are all unproven until they are not.

It's not like we weren't picked to be near the bottom before Walters coached a single game last season.

Now why do you think that was?

Reactions: z_one

Uh he was second team all big ten. If you don’t think he was great last year you are clearly stat watching. He was our only playmaker wr and was double teamed frequently.

For all you folks that think we will be so much better, look at our schedule and tell me what 5 games you think we are favored in? I think we can win 5 but our only 3 winnable homes games are nebraska, northwestern, and indiana state and it will be hard to get 2 wins in the road. If we get 5 wins including indiana I would be super happy.

For all you folks that think we will be so much better, look at our schedule and tell me what 5 games you think we are favored in? I think we can win 5 but our only 3 winnable homes games are nebraska, northwestern, and indiana state and it will be hard to get 2 wins in the road. If we get 5 wins including indiana I would be super happy.

The games are not played on paper. It is played on the field. We will not know what any of the teams will look like when the season starts. Will see what summer and fall camps bring. There could be season ending injuries that hurt the team. When we lost Edrine last year it definately hurt our WR production. Transfers might not work out, the Wisconsin fan base is holding their breath that Tyler Van Dyke will work out.

If we start the first 3 games of the season 2-1, I would be happy. Ecstatic if we start 3-0.

The rest of the season, who knows. When Nebraska plays Colorado, we will see if Riola lives up to the hype. We will see what type of team we have when we play ND. Can Oregon St rally losing their coach. Is Cignetti the real deal at IU or all talk? Can Braun continue the 2023 Northwestern magic. Will Penn State struggle at Ross Ade like they did in 2022. We don’t know. We shall see.

Reposting this video where Travis thinks we can get to 6 wins.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Winnable games:

Indiana State
Oregon State - Fist year HC. Complete roster overhaul
Nebraska - Least likely of these, but it's at home. They haven't been consistent.
Michigan State - New HC. Roster overhaul.
Northwestern - Would have won last year if we had Card.
Indiana - IT'S INDINIA!!

I think Walters can/should win 5 of these. 4 is a disappointment. 6+bowl would be great.

I think there's an outside chance we get ND in their trap game after our bye. But that depends how their games 1 and 2 go and how much we improve between 1 and 2 during the bye. Puncher's chance, so I hope the team keep swinging.

Reactions: z_one
Winnable games:

Indiana State
Oregon State - Fist year HC. Complete roster overhaul
Nebraska - Least likely of these, but it's at home. They haven't been consistent.
Michigan State - New HC. Roster overhaul.
Northwestern - Would have won last year if we had Card.
Indiana - IT'S INDINIA!!

I think Walters can/should win 5 of these. 4 is a disappointment. 6+bowl would be great.

I think there's an outside chance we get ND in their trap game after our bye. But that depends how their games 1 and 2 go and how much we improve between 1 and 2 during the bye. Puncher's chance, so I hope the team keep swinging.
There's never been a Purdue season in recent memory where we've won every game we "could/should" win. Maybe a season or two under Tiller. Certainly not under Brohm, or Hope, or Hazel.

Going 4/6 in those games would be fairly consistent historically. Of course, we do have a long history of winning one game we shouldn't so maybe?

I don't think 4 is a disappointment. It's stagnation perhaps but that's a possibility when you have back to back super tough schedules with a newish staff.

I'm more focused on year 3. That's the year where I'm going to start expect progress. 6 wins minimum.

Reactions: tbird2017 and z_one
Uh he was second team all big ten. If you don’t think he was great last year you are clearly stat watching. He was our only playmaker wr and was double teamed frequently.

I watched him dive for balls that he could have just ran under, have a drop rate of about 9% (worse than Milton Wright), and saw him not impact games frequently. He's a big play guy who rarely made big plays. He was the ONLY offensive player at Purdue with legit speed (outside of the RBs) so he got more attention than he deserved

I'm more focused on year 3. That's the year where I'm going to start expect progress. 6 wins minimum.
Where exactly are the 6 wins going to come from in 2025?

Ball State W
Notre Dame L
Michigan L
Minnesota L (it is an away game)
Northwestern W (This could easily be loss)
Illinois W
Indiana W
Ohio State L
Rutgers W (This could easily be a loss)
USC L
Washington L

Best case scenario is 5-6

Ball State W
Notre Dame L
Michigan L
Illinois W
Indiana W
Ohio State L
USC L
Washington L

Minnesota. So what if it's an away game

Ball State W
Notre Dame L
Michigan L
Illinois W
Indiana W
Ohio State L
USC L
Washington L

Why only 11 games?

The 2025 class is still being assembled so rankings will change. Of course, the size of the class also determines the rankings besides the quality of the recruits. When signing day comes we will see where Purdue stands, and the rankings of the class probably even then change.
Signing day doesn't matter anymore. It's all dependent on who shows up on the field on opening day.

Reactions: dayhr11
I don’t care about “commits”. They’re worthless.

A really “dumb statement” would be, “Charlie Jones won’t get drafted”… hmmm … who here is dumb enough to have said that ???
It wasn’t me. And that must mean there is somebody here dumber than me? Don’t tell chi chi

Easy HUD, I and others would absolutely agree with your assessment on overall improvement of personnel, but that position makes it harder for CRW to win only 4-5 games and keep his job.....Some even say that the players CRW is raking in only,alittle better and not great.....

Did it ever dawn on you that MAYBE some of those 30 kids were encouraged / told to enter the portal?
Even IF 15 of the 30 were asked to leave there is No scenario where with 15 departures Walters did a "good job of getting kids to stay" as you have asserted.

Even IF 15 of the 30 were asked to leave there is No scenario where with 15 departures Walters did a "good job of getting kids to stay" as you have asserted.

There is no scenario where the recruiting classes of 2020, 2021, and 2022 with national rankings of 32, 76 (yikes), and 38 couldn't even have 15 kids that weren't B1G caliber players?

Ok troll

I didn’t assert anything, other than that you don’t have a clue.

He just flipped a 2025 receiver from Louisville to Purdue. If I remember correctly their head coach has a pretty good eye for WRs…

JaMarcus Sheppard was the reason we had such a good WR room, and then he left and all of a sudden our WR room was one of the worst in the B1G.

The follow-up WR coach, who did not appear to develop anyone nor recruit well, is still with BrohmCo

JaMarcus Sheppard was the reason we had such a good WR room, and then he left and all of a sudden our WR room was one of the worst in the B1G.

The follow-up WR coach, who did not appear to develop anyone nor recruit well, is still with BrohmCo
Sheppard was excellent but it wasn’t just him. He left for Wash in early 2022 and wasn’t on the staff during one of our best seasons under Brohm. Kid also has offers from Miami and KY so I’ll trust it’s a nice pickup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT