ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Reax: Brohm post-scrimmage

Stacy_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2004
Not sure there was all that much coming out of a scrimmage we couldn't watch so had to generically ask questions about, but I suppose some of Brohm's comments that could find the most traction are what he said about the quarterbacks.

Again, we haven't seen these guys since the first three days, so it's tough for me to offer context, but Brohm said Blough is struggling against pressure — I'm not sure how you don't struggle against pressure — and that he liked Sindelar's pocket presence. The obvious difference here is Sindelar is 6-foot-4 and Blough is, barely, 6-foot. Sindelar has an ability to see over guys and not need throwing lanes created for him, and being a solidly built dude, he probably is more apt to stand tall in there to get drilled. Now, I think Blough deserves tons of credit for being a tough guy despite his size — he obviously took a significant pounding last year — and I think he has much better mobility than Sindelar. But if the coaches are telling the QBs, "Stay in there, make the throws," then it could be easy to see why Sindelar could be better-suited for that in terms of body structure alone. I still think Blough is the starting quarterback — there's no reason to think otherwise, considering he's still getting the first first-team reps and more of them than Sindelar — but it's clear this staff likes things about Sindelar that Blough simply cannot be/have/do. I personally think Blough's knowledge of defenses and experience of playing in games helps him a bunch and is a clear advantage. But Sindelar technically has been in games — but never in great circumstances, like he and I talked about and I wrote about earlier this camp.

The most concerning piece of the post-scrimmage talk was that Markell Jones and D.J. Knox did not participate. One could argue those are the team's most talented backs. And they weren't able to be evaluated in a live scrimmage situation. Not good for a lot of reasons. Jones has plenty to prove to this staff after a shaky spring, and Knox has plenty to prove coming off an ACL and from a fighting-for-the-starting-role perspective. I like Richie Worship, but I don't think he can be a lead back. But if him and Lankford-Johnson were/are the only healthy true starter-type options today — apparently Fuller is banged up, we've heard it may be a nagging hip issue — then that changes how people feel about the general RB group, I think.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News