ADVERTISEMENT

Reasons for inadequacy

GravyTrainBoiler

All-American
Feb 20, 2002
I used to complain to friends that the reason Purdue had such a tough time against zone defenses was because Painter refused to play a zone. If you don't have zone in your defensive repertoire, the best you're going to do in practice is emulate a zone in a half assed manner. Since zone has been added to Purdue's defensive strategy, we play "better" against a zone. Still need improvement, but it's better.

More than once this season, Purdue has been hard pressed to get the ball across half court against a man-to-man or a zone press. Again, we don't have the press as an integral part of our defensive strategy. Until we do, we're going to struggle against a zone. Any good assistant who reviews film of Purdue is going to notice this immediately.

Personally, I don't know why teams don't press us more! I'm glad they don't, but I'm surprised.

In the end, this all circles back to the criticism I have levied for the past 2 - 3 seasons; so, I'm not going to belabor that. Most, if not all, of you know where my opinion and criticism lies. So, I just wanted to point this out ... food for thought folks.
This post was edited on 2/27 11:30 AM by GravyTrainBoiler

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News