ADVERTISEMENT

Ray Edwards

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008
What are your general thoughts on ray Edwards? Not that he’s in the news or anything; I just thought about him the other day and wondered if other people had the same memories.

I think of him negatively, for whatever reason. I remember him saying some derogatory things about tiller. I was super pumped about him freshman year, and he had so much potential, but didn’t seem to quite live up to it.

Reactions: ChuckJr
When he wanted to play, he was the best player on the field.

I used to have a negative impression, but that 2005 team was so messed up, i dont really have a thought either way on him. He hasnt done anything to draw negative attention to himself since he left that i recall. I think he and Pollard have made amends with the school.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Big play Ray could bring it, but he also had an attitude that manifested in a strange way in 2005 with what seemed like a 7 game benching. If it wasn't for that moment though, Rob Ninkovich may never have had a shot at a solid year for Purdue and furthermore a great career in the NFL.

Reactions: yogi10
Big play Ray could bring it, but he also had an attitude that manifested in a strange way in 2005 with what seemed like a 7 game benching. If it wasn't for that moment though, Rob Ninkovich may never have had a shot at a solid year for Purdue and furthermore a great career in the NFL.
Half Rob’s career sacks came against iu. Lol

Half Rob’s career sacks came against iu. Lol
Weird, the butterfly effect of Big play Ray and IU had on Rob’s shot at the next level.
Rob seemed to be beloved by Robert Kraft, Bill Belichick and Patriots fans. He should capitalize with a book on his no DIV I, Community college to to NFL stardom. His experiences and the tenacity it took to overcome all odds is impressive.

Weird, the butterfly effect of Big play Ray and IU had on Rob’s shot at the next level.
Rob seemed to be beloved by Robert Kraft, Bill Belichick and Patriots fans. He should capitalize with a book on his no DIV I, Community college to to NFL stardom. His experiences and the tenacity it took to overcome all odds is impressive.
Youre missing him bouncing between the saints and dolphins before ending up in NE. He was damn near out of the league.

Matt Light's story about him during his first camp is funny.

I was a TA for a class that Anthony Spencer was in during the fall of '05. I remember Edwards having all the hype coming into the season but Spencer & Ninkovich ended up being the ones holding it down.

In retrospect, it's really impressive for that an underperforming '05 team had 3 NFL D-ends with relatively lengthy careers on the roster at the same time and only separated by a year of class.

And FWIW, Spencer was just the nicest kid. Really soft spoken and cool. Definitely didn't act like a BMOC or anything, at least in that class.

Edward's did get busted for PEDs in the NFL. Think he was suspended 4 games. Other than that, I dont really have an opinion of him either way. He was probably the highest rated d-lineman we got during the Tiller years, although those much lower ranked had better college and pro careers.

I was a TA for a class that Anthony Spencer was in during the fall of '05. I remember Edwards having all the hype coming into the season but Spencer & Ninkovich ended up being the ones holding it down.

In retrospect, it's really impressive for that an underperforming '05 team had 3 NFL D-ends with relatively lengthy careers on the roster at the same time and only separated by a year of class.

And FWIW, Spencer was just the nicest kid. Really soft spoken and cool. Definitely didn't act like a BMOC or anything, at least in that class.
Spencer played through a lot of injuries in 2005. He started every game though. Edwards was benched in favor of Ninko.

Edward's did get busted for PEDs in the NFL. Think he was suspended 4 games. Other than that, I dont really have an opinion of him either way. He was probably the highest rated d-lineman we got during the Tiller years, although those much lower ranked had better college and pro careers.
We had a few highly ranked DL. Edwards, DVD, and Baker off the top of my head. Baker should have been moved to OL.

That 2005 team was one of Tiller’s most talented teams top to bottom, but Tiller said he should have suspended Pollard or kicked him off the team In the training camp. It just went down from there. Still remember the Orlando Sentinel ranking us #1 in the entire country preseason.

Youre missing him bouncing between the saints and dolphins before ending up in NE. He was damn near out of the league.

Matt Light's story about him during his first camp is funny.
That is why he should have a book offering! LOL
I remember him getting cut from those two and being put on practice squads as well. Weathering the storm of rejection and staying with it to fulfill a dream is impressive. A lot of people would pack the bags and begin a new career. I do not like the Patriots nor Bill Bellichick, but know Rob Ninkovich fit his style quite well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT