ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking B1G arenas

Do Dah Day

All-American
Nov 8, 2015
1. Mackey Arena

Between the low-slung, domed aluminum roof and the sheer number of students packed into both Paint Crew sections, Purdue has the best home-court advantage in the Big Ten. Certainly the loudest. The wins and (not that many) losses back it up. The Boilermakers are in their 57th season at Mackey and boast an all-time record of 697-148 — a winning percentage of 0.825.

1. Mackey Arena

Between the low-slung, domed aluminum roof and the sheer number of students packed into both Paint Crew sections, Purdue has the best home-court advantage in the Big Ten. Certainly the loudest. The wins and (not that many) losses back it up. The Boilermakers are in their 57th season at Mackey and boast an all-time record of 697-148 — a winning percentage of 0.825.

Nice list. The only real surprise to me was the Kohl Center at 9. As hard as it has been for opponents to win there over the years, I was expecting to see it near the top.

The Tomb is underrated for the defeaning silence effect on shot preparation.

Also - Boilers may have to deal with this Tuesday night......

200.webp

200.webp

Can't stand hearing the drones there shout ....iu, iu, iu, iu, iu..... So borish and simpleminded. I find myself hating hearing it, and chanting in my head, "Sucks" after each iu.

Last edited:
Can't stand hearing the drones there shout ....iu, iu, iu, iu, iu..... So borish and simpleminded. I find myself hating hearing it, and chanting in my head, "Sucks" after each iu.
I point out that to Kim every game. No other place do you hear such a chant...and for so long during a game. I start thinking about my tax dollars paying for that. Sadly, for whatever reason the mic is too close. It is not that I want to hear the guy doing the game necessarily, because many times I really don't hear them due to focusing on the game, but that monotone is not much different than cavemen grunting at each other.

It reminds me of a couple of days detasseling corn where it is one tassel after another eating away at any thought and being dumber for doing such. I did that for a day and a half, but IU does it all game and every game and you have to wonder how many brain cells are lost and when considering the number to start with , it is concerning if it they become contributing members of society...able to function in any relative complex situation...with meaningful thought quite different than a job held.

I point out that to Kim every game. No other place do you hear such a chant...and for so long during a game. I start thinking about my tax dollars paying for that. Sadly, for whatever reason the mic is too close. It is not that I want to hear the guy doing the game necessarily, because many times I really don't hear them due to focusing on the game, but that monotone is not much different than cavemen grunting at each other.

It reminds me of a couple of days detasseling corn where it is one tassel after another eating away at any thought and being dumber for doing such. I did that for a day and a half, but IU does it all game and every game and you have to wonder how many brain cells are lost and when considering the number to start with , it is concerning if it they become contributing members of society...able to function in any relative complex situation...with meaningful thought quite different than a job held.
In Benton County you would have been laughed out of the county if you could only last a day-and-a-half. I didn't have you pegged as a lightweight!!!😁

Last edited:
1. Assembly Hall(Indiana)
2. Mackey(Purdue)
3. Breslin Center(Michigan State)
4. Crisler Center(Michigan)
5. State Farm Center(Illinois)
6. Kohl Center(Wisconsin)
7. Carver Hawkeye(Iowa)
8. Value City(Ohio State)
9. Williams Arena(Minnesota)
10. Xfinity Center(Maryland)
11. Pinnacle Bank(Nebraska)
12. Bryce Jordan(Penn State)
13. Louis Brown(Rutgers)
14. Welsh Ryan(Northwestern)

1. Assembly Hall(Indiana)
2. Mackey(Purdue)
3. Breslin Center(Michigan State)
4. Crisler Center(Michigan)
5. State Farm Center(Illinois)
6. Kohl Center(Wisconsin)
7. Carver Hawkeye(Iowa)
8. Value City(Ohio State)
9. Williams Arena(Minnesota)
10. Xfinity Center(Maryland)
11. Pinnacle Bank(Nebraska)
12. Bryce Jordan(Penn State)
13. Louis Brown(Rutgers)
14. Welsh Ryan(Northwestern)
Gasoline, meet fire......

I've been to some, far from all. My rankings:

1. Mackey Arena - duh
2. A$$ Hall - was there last year for our game. Pretty amazing atmosphere TBH.
3. State Farm Center
4. Welsh-Ryan Arena - it's really a lot better building since the renovation
5. Carver-Hawkeye Arena - blah, going again Saturday
6. Crisler Arena - kind of a dump

Reactions: tjreese

I asked my pharmacist if she was a Boiler - she said yes and I kept her. I asked my Veterinarian if she was a Boiler, she said yes and I kept her. I asked my attny if he was a Hoosier. He said yes and I began looking for a new attny.

In Benton County you would have been laughed out of the ounty if you could only last a day-and-a-half. I didn't have you pegged as a lightweight!!!😁
Oh I was. I saw corn in my sleep. Walking wasn't as bad, but the driver was going too fast when riding. It was his field. ;) My high school girlfriend lasted all summer every summer. Nice tan lines, but I had a preference for the untanned sections. ;) I was definitely a light weight !!!! ;)

200.webp
Yeah, people are waayyyyy too close in that gym. Even high school gyms have as much room on the side lines

I asked my pharmacist if she was a Boiler - she said yes and I kept her. I asked my Veterinarian if she was a Boiler, she said yes and I kept her. I asked my attny if he was a Hoosier. He said yes and I began looking for a new attny.
My urologist for the cancer is a Purdue grad. I didn't know at the time. I just called and asked for the smartest and that was who I got. Like my dentist...Purdue basketball gets some talk time ( He started in engineering) When I went in for the biopsy he had his Purdue hat on. His friend another Purdue grad he went to school with did my vasectomy, but he retired and how I got down to Indy. The surgeon for my hip was an IU person, but both his parents were Purdue grads and he just went for the big bucks...I understand.

You can have a choice in the professional areas and in some of those cases the people are fine. You have no choice if out on the road and you try to get a quick bite to eat...then you are stuck!

• Love
Reactions: Do Dah Day

Oog a booga ... oog a boooga ...

• Haha
In Benton County you would have been laughed out of the ounty if you could only last a day-and-a-half. I didn't have you pegged as a lightweight!!!😁
Benton County memories ... some good ... some not so much!!! Putting up hay would rank toward not so much, but the midday meal was damned good.

My urologist for the cancer is a Purdue grad. I didn't know at the time. I just called and asked for the smartest and that was who I got. Like my dentist...Purdue basketball gets some talk time ( He started in engineering) When I went in for the biopsy he had his Purdue hat on. His friend another Purdue grad he went to school with did my vasectomy, but he retired and how I got down to Indy. The surgeon for my hip was an IU person, but both his parents were Purdue grads and he just went for the big bucks...I understand.

You can have a choice in the professional areas and in some of those cases the people are fine. You have no choice if out on the road and you try to get a quick bite to eat...then you are stuck!
Fortunately, I haven't need hi-level professionals ... other than trial attorneys .... but that's another story

• Love
Oh I was. I saw corn in my sleep. Walking wasn't as bad, but the driver was going too fast when riding. It was his field. ;) My high school girlfriend lasted all summer every summer. Nice tan lines, but I had a preference for the untanned sections. ;) I was definitely a light weight !!!! ;)
While you were wimping out I spent two summers at the Joan of Arc canning factory in Fowler. 60-85 hours a week. Lots of 7AM to 11PM days. I could do at 16 and 17 what I've never had the desire to do since.

While you were wimping out I spent two summers at the Joan of Arc canning factory in Fowler. 60-85 hours a week. Lots of 7AM to 11PM days. I could do at 16 and 17 what I've never had the desire to do since.
I couldn’t detassel, but I could dig post holes all day and then football practice. I buried telephone cable a summer and had some long days, but probably never got over 60 hours.

For me detasseling while riding was too boring and I wasn’t mentally tough enough to take it. It was like being in a locked room with some IU fans and discussing something of importance..and I couldn’t get out and one would mumble and then another would mumble as I saw one tassel after another. It was horrible!

• Haha
Reactions: Do Dah Day
I spent 12 hours/day seven days/week pouring concrete into the grain towers in Wolcott ... illegal as hell ... great money ...

Yeah. A lot of us worked dangerous jobs for extreme hours as teens. It shaped our work ethic. Too bad kids today are so overprotected.
Try doing topo surveys and popping manhole tops and climbing in to inspect and get drops some kinda fun

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT