Bullwhip Griffith

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 31, 2005
Peru IN
Just watching it rain so thought this could kill some boredom

7. Illinois-Good win with the exception of Bloughs injury

6. Ohio-Crowd was electric and big plays, but game was over by half

5. Minnesota-Rain delay stunk but Purdue scoring 15 in less than 90 seconds was fantastic

4. Indiana-Final score was close but getting up 21 late to secure Bucket was fantastic

3. Iowa-Kept bowl hopes alive with a handful of big plays

2. Missouri-Pounding an SEC team at their place

1. Arizona-First bowl win in years and giving RichRod an L in his last game as a head coach

5. Minnesota-Rain delay stunk but Purdue scoring 15 in less than 90 seconds was fantastic

4. Indiana-Final score was close but getting up 21 late to secure Bucket was fantastic

1. Arizona-First bowl win in years and giving RichRod an L in his last game as a head coach
I agree soundly with your assessment, sir!

I would flip Iowa over Missouri.

I would put Missouri at #5 and IU at #2. When Purdue played Missouri they had just fired their defensive coordinator and looked rather disorganized! Once organized, they proved they were a talented team.

I place the IU victory as #2 because so much was riding on that game. We needed a win to go to a bowl game as did IU. With everything on the line, we came out with all cylinders clicking and despite whatever the score looked like, we owned that game. It was a must win game and we won it!

I keep Arizona at #1 as it was a bowl victory against a worthy opponent. And it's nice to end the season with a bowl victory

Says a lot about our OOC schedule seeing Illinois as our easiest opponent. No Georgia Southern or Charleston Southern to be found.

Reactions: pboiler18
Hard to really distringuish between 4 wins for me:

IU
Missouri
Arizona
Iowa

These four have significant impacts for different reasons but honestly I might say the Missouri game ended up being the one to solidify that what Brohm was preaching would work. If Purdue has played that way the rest of the year, they would have grabbed 9 regular season wins (Nebraska, UM, UL). When I’m looking at the most impactful for how the season went, that is it.

The IU game was huge because it was a Bucket win for bowl eligibility and it wasn’t as close as the score indicated. The Iowa game was a shocker given Iowa’s trouncing if OSU a few weeks prior but Iowa is known to have epic meltdowns.

Arizona was big because it was the springboard the program needed to go in to spring camp and then the summer recruiting cycle to show what can be done.
Ranking them:

1: Missouri
2: IU
3: Arizona
4: Iowa

I'd keep Missouri pretty high. That felt like a turning point game to me, similar to when Tiller beat Notre Dame. I know Missouri was lost, but it sent a message that the program was on the right track.

Reactions: Cleanface
I would go with

1 Iowa (I think most thought bowling was out of reach with the game @ Iowa...hoping this game still impacts recruiting with Kizer, Bell, Tracy, etc. now recruits can stay in Indiana instead of going to nowheresville Iowa City).
2 IU (Bucket was so important to instate recruiting, but we were favored by gametime)
3 Missouri (helped set the winning mindset and create belief. Margin of victory places Mizzou over Zona, IMO)
4 Arizona (tough call vs Mizzou)

Ranking by excitement.

5. Missouri. 1st back to back wins in forever. Fun to beat down an SEC team at their place.
4. Minnesota. Mahoungou catch and run, Jones Juke TD and Bentley with the pick six. Then the Purdue crowd screaming "ROW THE BOAT! ROW THE BOAT! "
3 The bucket and a bowl. So special.
2 Ohio. 1st Brohm win, under the lights, chrome helmets, double reverse flea flicker.
1 Arizona - Great back and forth game. Lots of excitement and drama. Fake kneel. I could not stop screaming when Mahoungou caught that TD!

That Mizzou stomping was something else. Hard for me to not pick that #1.

I was just stunned. First time I was beaming proud to be a Purdue football fan in a LOOOOONG time. We were the talk of CFB world that weekend. "Purdue did WHAT to Mizzou?!?!? Did you see that?? Purdue!?!"

Set a great tone for the season, and the sea-change in our expectations and enthusiasm.

Reactions: B1Gboilermaker
IU #1 by a wide margin (sadly). It got you a bowl game, a bowl victory, and the recruiting momentum you are enjoying.

Number 2 is light years away.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: rgarlitz
IU #1 by a wide margin (sadly). It got you a bowl game, a bowl victory, and the recruiting momentum you are enjoying.

Number 2 is light years away.

I have to agree. Winning the bowl game was nice, and it was a very fun game to watch. This is all moot without winning the Bucket and instead IU is running roughshod on the crappy Arizona defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT