ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterback

I don't know, but last night the QB for Southern Alabama was Chance Lovertich. I'm afraid if I was an announcer, I wouldn't be able to say his name without giggling uncontrollably. :) :) :) :)

It'll come down to Burton and Plummer. AOC is an incredibly weapon to have in the event of a string of injuries but he benefited from a vastly improved OL and skill players getting their legs underneath them at the end of the year.

I'm going to say it ends up being Burton because I think he can drive the ball well into tight spaces and they can run the read option a bit more effectively with him. That aspect was really effective for Plummer against Nebraska before he went down with the injury and he was grabbing huge chunks of yards. I also wouldn't be surprised if it was Plummer because both are pretty similar beyond Burton's increased athleticism.

Well maybe don’t call running plays for non dual threat quarterbacks.

I understand your point, but don't completely agree.

Drew was mobile, but certainly not a "dual threat" QB. He and Tiller feasted on defenses sleeping on his ability to scramble and run, whether it was called or not.

Many times.

It's football. Gotta be able to play the game, and do what's asked/demanded by the game situation.

Drew was mobile, but certainly not a "dual threat" QB. He and Tiller feasted on defenses sleeping on his ability to scramble and run, whether it was called or not.

Many times.

It's football. Gotta be able to play the game, and do what's asked/demanded by the game situation.
I totally agree with this.

Many times.

I agree but, after Sindelar got hurt by running in the Nevada game and Sipe had injury issues then Plummer got killed by a poor line and then ran him on called runs. I don’t see it as the same situation as when Brees played. Tiller wasn’t calling running plays for Brees. Brohm was calling running plays for guys not accustomed to running the ball.

Reactions: krf3632
Tiller wasn’t calling running plays for Brees.
That’s flat out incorrect. An important part of the Tiller/Chaney spread offense was mixing in the QB draw to keep defenses honest and pick up some cheap first downs in passing situations. Brees had good vision and knew how to avoid hard/awkward hits. Second leading rusher on the team his senior year.

Last edited:
I agree but, after Sindelar got hurt by running in the Nevada game and Sipe had injury issues then Plummer got killed by a poor line and then ran him on called runs. I don’t see it as the same situation as when Brees played. Tiller wasn’t calling running plays for Brees. Brohm was calling running plays for guys not accustomed to running the ball.

I hear you, but football is a violent game.

QBs need to scramble, and be able to run.

If they're high D1 players, they're "accustomed" to running. If they aren't, they should play at a lower-level place. Like IU. :p

That’s flat out incorrect. An important part of the Tiller/Chaney spread offense was mixing in the QB draw to keep defenses honest and pick up some cheap first downs in passing situations. Brees had good vision and knew how to avoid hard/awkward hits. Second leading rusher on the team his senior year.
That's absolutely correct. I remember times when Brees ran for multiple first downs in games via a called QB draw. You see this in the NFL quite often as well.

My memory is shot lol. I went to every game and it didn’t seem he ran the ball that much. Good call on your part.

Reactions: Purdue85
Well maybe don’t call running plays for non dual threat quarterbacks.
Well.... Sindelar was hurt rolling out of the pocket . Plummer was hurt as he scrambled to run after the pocket collapsed. Sipe retired due to bad back. Where exactly are the “ called” running plays???

Dude, you watch the games? Sindelar was hurt - concussion- against Vandy, not Nevada, but came back. The injury that put him out was rolling out of the pocket Against Minnesota . Same with Plummer , he scrambled when the pocket collapsed. Neither of their injuries were on “ designed” running plays.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Brees was underrated as a runner. Ran for many 1st downs and kept plays alive with his feet. Anyone remember he went helicopter mode ala john Elway vs ND? Tiller liked to have the QB run. Even Orton had draw plays every game.

Dude, you watch the games? Sindelar was hurt - concussion- against Vandy, not Nevada, but came back. The injury that put him out was rolling out of the pocket Against Minnesota . Same with Plummer , he scrambled when the pocket collapsed. Neither of their injuries were on “ designed” running plays.
Yes I’ve been to a few games. Was at the Nevada game and been to about 200 home games. Sorry to have made you upset. Have a good day!

Reactions: Purdue85
Yes I’ve been to a few games. Was at the Nevada game and been to about 200 home games. Sorry to have made you upset. Have a good day!
That’s awesome. I was at Nevada too. If you were there....then, uh, when exactly did you see Sindelar get hurt???? I’m glad you have been to so many games. Should probably actually watch them, because everything you stated didn’t happen. Have a great day.

Sindelar was injured and ended career in the Minny game on the same play that Rondale got hurt. In fact, the reason Sindelar got hurt is that he was looking to throw to Moore and Moore went down with injury and as Sindelar held ball, he got sacked and hurt. Worst outcome of a single play - ever!

Purdue will play the old single wing offense and snap the ball directly to a RB, since they still don't have a true Big10 QB. Brohms recruits at QB have not done anything since he has been here.

Purdue will play the old single wing offense and snap the ball directly to a RB, since they still don't have a true Big10 QB. Brohms recruits at QB have not done anything since he has been here.

I don't know how you can tell we don't have a "true" B1G QB>

Not sure what that means, since this will be the first time he'll be going into the season without a really solid QB on the roster from the prior regime.

Last year's backup (his first recruited QB) looked reasonably solid (for a first year player) before the season-ending injury.

Might want to give them an opportunity to show what they have before writing them off as not being a "true" B1G QB.

Plummer is brohm's first QB recruit and he was a RS Frosh last year? You expect Brohm to start a true freshman, or even a redshirt freshmen unless it was absolutely necessary? That's a whole lot of stupid.

Drew’s career rushing yardage was 900 yards and his senior year total of 522 would have easily led last year’s team in ground yardage.

Doubtful he would have had 500+ last year, what with the OL challenges.

Brees was blessed with an incredibly talented OL, and was only sacked 10 times in 2000, for -59. Last year we were sacked 28 times for -212.

Reactions: SKYDOG and JRowdy20
Doubtful he would have had 500+ last year, what with the OL challenges.

Brees was blessed with an incredibly talented OL, and was only sacked 10 times in 2000, for -59. Last year we were sacked 28 times for -212.

It was said he was not an effective runner which was bogus. Who can forget the end zone dive against Notre Dame in 1999?

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
It was said he was not an effective runner which was bogus. Who can forget the end zone dive against Notre Dame in 1999?

I haven't gone back through the entire thread, but I'm not sure that's true, destewart.

I brought up Drew. If you go back and look at my point, I made the case that Drew was a QB who destroyed teams with his legs, but wasn't considered a "dual threat" QB (more of a "pro-style"). He most certainly could run, and was extremely effective at it, which was my point.

Brohm never mentions Paul Pieri at all in his presser - are we going to see a transfer here soon? Sounds like Alaimo is already in front of him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT