ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterback U per espn

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Four letter network's last shred of credibility... gone

Granted, they only considered post 1998 era, but where would you rank Purdue with notable players: Drew Brees, Kyle Orton, Curtis Painter, David Blough?

1. USC
Notable players: Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez, Sam Darnold

2. Oklahoma
Notable players: Jason White, Sam Bradford, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray

3. Oregon
Notable players: A.J. Feeley, Joey Harrington, Marcus Mariota, Justin Herbert

4. Texas
Notable players: Major Applewhite, Chris Simms, Vince Young, Colt McCoy

5. Florida State
Notable players: Chris Weinke, Christian Ponder, EJ Manuel, Jameis Winston

6. Louisville
Notable players: Chris Redman, Brian Brohm, Teddy Bridgewater, Lamar Jackson

7. Auburn
Notable players: Jason Campbell, Cam Newton, Nick Marshall, Jarrett Stidham

8. Florida
Notable players: Jesse Palmer, Rex Grossman, Chris Leak, Tim Tebow

Texas A&M
Notable players: Jerrod Johnson, Ryan Tannehill, Johnny Manziel, Kellen Mond

10. Ohio State
Notable players: Craig Krenzel, Troy Smith, Terrelle Pryor, J.T. Barrett, Dwayne Haskins

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...which-schools-produce-most-talent-position#QB

Based off brees success alone Purdue should be on that list. Orton was a serviceable QB in the NFL as well. Painter was bad but around for longer than many on the list.
Auburn, Oklahoma and USC are the only schools with a case better than the boilers

Edit. I didn't read what the standard was for this list but generally ESPN is going for pro values in my perception. Not going to bother clicking on it

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
If you remove bias, i don't think we should be ahead of any of the schools listed. I don't really think we even have an argument against any of them.

Our list is nothing to scoff at, but it's not top 10.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
Based off brees success alone Purdue should be on that list. Orton was a serviceable QB in the NFL as well. Painter was bad but around for longer than many on the list.
Auburn, Oklahoma and USC are the only schools with a case better than the boilers

Edit. I didn't read what the standard was for this list but generally ESPN is going for pro values in my perception. Not going to bother clicking on it
They didn't really go into specifics on their methodology, but mention weighting things like all conference and all american status. This, of course, gives preference to the blue bloods. Jason White was a mediocre QB, but played on an awesome team. Kyle Orton would have been an all american on any of these 10 programs.

Reactions: Lee3370
They didn't really go into specifics on their methodology, but mention weighting things like all conference and all american status. This, of course, gives preference to the blue bloods. Jason White was a mediocre QB, but played on an awesome team. Kyle Orton would have been an all american on any of these 10 programs.
Jason White won a Heisman...

It favors blue bloods in the sense that they can reload on talent more frequently, which will lead to more All-American type players.

Orton would've had more accolades his senior year if healthy, but we don't need to revisit that story.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
Does not surprise me. There was a video 3 to 4 days ago that said Moore was the most overrated hyped player in college football by this one writer. How could a freshman All American his freshman year get this designation you ask by this “expert”?

Teams were not used to him last year, so they had not figured out a way to defend him. That will change this year supposedly due to us having no protection for him to be as productive this year. Meaning we basically have no other offensive talent to keep teams from concentrating 100% of their efforts in stopping him, double and triple teaming him. I found that funny, because I seemed to remember games where he was double and triple teamed, and he still got his numbers.

I thought about posting the video a few days ago, but it pissed me off so much I couldn’t do it.

Where any of them starting SB champs? Do any of them even come close to Bree's numbers? I guess they missed the point. Michigan should be top 10 as well. As well Purdue holds a bunch of records per college QB in the NFL.

Where any of them starting SB champs? Do any of them even come close to Bree's numbers? I guess they missed the point. Michigan should be top 10 as well. As well Purdue holds a bunch of records per college QB in the NFL.

They outline it in the article. It's about college achievement predominantly. Brees is a great #1 on our list, but the list tapers down significantly after. Orton was hurt and missed out on accolades his senior year. Mix and match the rest of our list, it doesn't belong here.

If we're basing it purely off stats or Super Bowls, Purdue isn't in this conversation either.

I love my boilers, but use some common sense here.

Jason White won a Heisman...

It favors blue bloods in the sense that they can reload on talent more frequently, which will lead to more All-American type players.

Orton would've had more accolades his senior year if healthy, but we don't need to revisit that story.
Heisman is perennially the most over-rated award in all of sports and rarely goes to the best player. Remember Chris Weinke won it over Drew Brees. Nuff said. Classic case of the guy on the better team, not the better player, winning the award. If Jason White was a good QB he wouldn't be running a shoe store right now. He's closer to Al Bundy than Drew Brees in terms of topping out in his football career.

This list makes zero sense to do now. Normally I understand if you are creating a "click-bait" list where we do not know what will happen with each's future - but in this case we do. Aside from a handful of guys on this list, this looks more like a list of guys that underperformed when compared to each's college achievement (s). So to create a list where you do not factor in each NFL career is laughable. Good job ESPN, nailed it.

He was part of the reason they were mediocre
Respectfully disagree. In the late Tiller years, Big Ten defenses had adjusted to his offense and without great athletes at the WR position and without an offensive line that could stand up to the big boys, Painter often had little time to throw and no one to throw it to. Talent differential became the norm as we started to only beat teams we could out-muscle and out-talent. As seen by the numbers against less talented teams, when CP had time to throw and open receivers he was lethal. Here's the rub.. when you play for OSU, OU, Alabama, etc. almost all of your games are against less talented teams. You always have plus match ups around you.

I'm not saying Painter was on Brees' level, not close. But look at the guys on these lists. A bunch of system QB's and guys who benefitted from having all day in the pocket to throw. We're talking about the #3 guy on the Purdue list. He was not nearly 'mediocre' enough to drag Purdue off a top 10 or even top 5 QB list.

Respectfully disagree. In the late Tiller years, Big Ten defenses had adjusted to his offense and without great athletes at the WR position and without an offensive line that could stand up to the big boys, Painter often had little time to throw and no one to throw it to. Talent differential became the norm as we started to only beat teams we could out-muscle and out-talent. As seen by the numbers against less talented teams, when CP had time to throw and open receivers he was lethal. Here's the rub.. when you play for OSU, OU, Alabama, etc. almost all of your games are against less talented teams. You always have plus match ups around you.

I'm not saying Painter was on Brees' level, not close. But look at the guys on these lists. A bunch of system QB's and guys who benefitted from having all day in the pocket to throw. We're talking about the #3 guy on the Purdue list. He was not nearly 'mediocre' enough to drag Purdue off a top 10 or even top 5 QB list.
His tenure coincided with a winless streak against ranked teams that ended the year after he left. That isn’t a coincidence

Curtis Painter is criminally underrated. He played for some really mediocre teams, but put up over 11,000 career yards and 67 TD's. Those are better numbers than most of the guys listed above.
He also played all 4 years and threw 46 interceptions (1.0 per game). Let's paint the full picture. He was solid, but not a name that pulls weight in any relation to that ESPN article.

Career stats don't paint a full picture. Dwayne Haskins only threw for 5396 yds, 54 TD's and 9 Int's. Does not mean he and OSU should be below Painter/Purdue.

Last edited:
Heisman is perennially the most over-rated award in all of sports and rarely goes to the best player. Remember Chris Weinke won it over Drew Brees. Nuff said. Classic case of the guy on the better team, not the better player, winning the award. If Jason White was a good QB he wouldn't be running a shoe store right now. He's closer to Al Bundy than Drew Brees in terms of topping out in his football career.
Not a Sooner fan at all. Not a Jason White fan per se, but the Heisman does have “ some” meaning right? He also was a consensus All american, won Davey O’Brien award, won Maxwell Award, won Big 12 POY award, and a few other things. Not a scrub. Like him or not.

Reactions: 1ndyBoiler
His tenure coincided with a winless streak against ranked teams that ended the year after he left. That isn’t a coincidence
His tenure coincided with the late Tiller years. That isn't coincidental either. The offense was figured out, defenses got more speed, pressed our wideouts more. Yeah, we beat OSU the next year with a great defensive game plan focused on stopping Terrell Pryor. We also got shut out by Wisconsin, went 5-7, and lost to a mediocre NIU team. There's probably no convincing you, but IMO he was our best QB since Orton. No, he didn't beat ranked teams, but he didn't lose to MAC teams either. Something we didn't appreciate until he was gone. And the fact that he stuck around as an NFL backup for a few years puts him on par with half the guys on that list.

I guess at the end of the day, we are the cradle of QB's. Slice the time period however you want, Purdue should always be mentioned in any article about colleges that produce the best QB's. To exclude Purdue in a time period that specifically includes one of the best QB ever to play the game is a slap in the face.

Reactions: 70boiler
I guess at the end of the day, we are the cradle of QB's. Slice the time period however you want, Purdue should always be mentioned in any article about colleges that produce the best QB's. To exclude Purdue in a time period that specifically includes one of the best QB ever to play the game is a slap in the face.

Painter had better wr talent than brees or orton. A better running back than brees and couldn’t must one win against a ranked team. Better than average qbs aren’t limited by those around them.

First off thanks for making me defend ESPN here. This list is fine. It’s like some of you want, check that, need something to bitch about. Jeebus.

The article was QBs after ‘98 and about college performance. Drew, went to the Rose Bowl and won the Big Ten and third in the Heisman. I was on the 25th row 50 yard line in Pasadena. Even in a loss, best sports memory of my life. Kyle was 1-3 in Bowl games with 1 1st all B1G honors - but he laid our season on the 40 yard line. Curtis... umm won the Motor City Bowl vs Central Mich? After that? Yeah.

Despite all that, some not only thought it an outrage that our QB list that included David Blough, DAVID BLOUGH, wasn’t deemed top ten worthy but pointed to Jason White as mediocre and proof that OU(?!?) wasn’t worthy. You know, the guy that won a Heisman, and was a runner up the next year. On 1 leg. Played for two National Championships. That guy.

I swear, we have some of the most whiny, insufferable fans. A minority to be sure but a faction nevertheless; like the clowns saying Auburn was running up the score - before the half.

For as often as we like to hold ourselves up as intellectual superiors we sure do look like dumbasses a lot.

First off thanks for making me defend ESPN here. This list is fine. It’s like some of you want, check that, need something to bitch about. Jeebus.

The article was QBs after ‘98 and about college performance. Drew, went to the Rose Bowl and won the Big Ten and third in the Heisman. I was on the 25th row 50 yard line in Pasadena. Even in a loss, best sports memory of my life. Kyle was 1-3 in Bowl games with 1 1st all B1G honors - but he laid our season on the 40 yard line. Curtis... umm won the Motor City Bowl vs Central Mich? After that? Yeah.

Despite all that, some not only thought it an outrage that our QB list that included David Blough, DAVID BLOUGH, wasn’t deemed top ten worthy but pointed to Jason White as mediocre and proof that OU(?!?) wasn’t worthy. You know, the guy that won a Heisman, and was a runner up the next year. On 1 leg. Played for two National Championships. That guy.

I swear, we have some of the most whiny, insufferable fans. A minority to be sure but a faction nevertheless; like the clowns saying Auburn was running up the score - before the half.

For as often as we like to hold ourselves up as intellectual superiors we sure do look like dumbasses a lot.

that post sure helped.

Purdue had three starting QBs in NFL at one point in time. Just a few years ago, Purdue had two former Purdue QBs starting in college football. Not to mention that Brees is arguably the greatest NFL QB of all time.

The problem that skews the argument is that Hope was in way over his head and the Haze is the worst D1 coach in recent memory. So you can ignore the cradle of QBs in the past, if you want, because of the years listed in the argument. But I expect Purdue to return to the list of QBU. And why wouldn’t they? They have a former QB and one of the best offensive minds in football.

If Sindelar has a great year he could get drafted. I expect Plummer to get it done as well. He has the size and arm talent to get it done. With all the WR talent, I don’t think it’s too far away from Brohm landing a top 5 QB.

I think the list should have zero effect on Purdue fans understanding that the Hope and Haze year’s were a tremendous setback and the Morgue set the football program back 15 years. Tiller has QBU back and Brohm will as well.

Who is this ESPN you speak of?

"Extremely Stupid People Network"

I haven't watched or listened to those talking heads or train wreck of a channel for at least 5 years now.

Horrible....rather go to an insurance seminar.

No, the problem seems to not be with the OP, but with people who, instead of turning a topic like this into a simple, civil conversation on a slow football news period (or just simply passing it over), choose to call fellow Purdue fans names instead. At least amidst your rant you sort of touched on an actual point about the criteria, albeit in a needlessly contentious fashion, about the weighting of team accomplishments and media awards vs. stats and pro careers. IMO the team accomplishments are great, but at the college level the QB has much less influence on the success of the team than it does at the pro level. You have to evaluate these guys in context of who they played for and what supporting cast they had around them, and then see how they do at the next level on a more even playing field. For example, Drew never won more than 8 games in college. Does that make Jason White or Sam Bradford a better QB?

Last edited:
No, the problem seems to not be with the OP, but with people who, instead of turning a topic like this into a simple, civil conversation on a slow football news period (or just simply passing it over), choose to call fellow Purdue fans names instead. At least amidst your rant you sort of touched on an actual point about the criteria, albeit in a needlessly contentious fashion, about the weighting of team accomplishments and media awards vs. stats and pro careers. IMO the team accomplishments are great, but at the college level the QB has much less influence on the success of the team than it does at the pro level. You have to evaluate these guys in context of who they played for and what supporting cast they had around them, and then see how they do at the next level on a more even playing field. For example, Drew never won more than 8 games in college. Does that make Jason White or Sam Bradford a better QB?
They aren't better than Drew, that should be obvious, but Painter/Blough/Elliot/Sindelar/even Orton etc are not somehow comparable to a Jason White because they played on worse teams.

They aren't better than Drew, that should be obvious, but Painter/Blough/Elliot/Sindelar/even Orton etc are not somehow comparable to a Jason White because they played on worse teams.
Fair point. So OU maybe keeps #2 on the list based on the shoe salesman putting up big numbers and winning the Heisman (while being on a team coached by Bob Stoops, Brent Venables, Bo Pelini, Kevin Sumlin, and Chuck Long.. and playing alongside HOF Adrian Peterson, 3 NFL draft pick receivers, and 4 NFL draft pick offensive linemen). Still think you can fit Purdue in there somewhere if the criteria is less skewed toward team success.

As someone else mentioned, with this list containing a lot of recent players, the jury is still out on a lot of these guys whether their college success stands on its own merits or to what extent they were a product of the system or the talent around them.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsaus
Realize Orton had by definition a decent NFL career. I am to believe a guy who couldn’t sniff an NFL job was better than a guy who started in the League on was on rosters for 11 years? What kinda of crazy is that line of thinking?

Here, I fixed this for the lazy folks over at ESPN. Brees has only added to it:

A Wall Street Journal article on November 18, 2012, pointed out that 'Purdue may be the ultimate Quarterback U. Since the 1970 merger (between the AFL and NFL), quarterbacks from Purdue have started 724 NFL games, easily the most of any major-conference program.' After Purdue QBs' 724 NFL games, the next best schools were the University of Washington (623 starts), Miami (573), University of Southern California (547) and Notre Dame (543).[1]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterback_U

Look, Oklahoma isn't #2 on this list because of Jason White. He's just one of the 4 QBs they chose to list. Just like if someone else did the list and put Purdue #5 or whatever, it wouldn't be because of Curtis Painter or David Blough. You can make arguments for or against Purdue versus several of the schools on this list, but in the end it's an opinion, something everyone has. An clearly NFL usage is not a factor, or else we'd probably see Michigan, Tennessee and California in there instead of Texas A&M for one.

Reactions: 1ndyBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT