ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue's Secondary has me Worried

Jul 30, 2019
I think that the biggest challenge is the defense and the secondary in particular. The secondary weakness was really exposed in the Auburn game.
It had been bad all season but it truly collapsed in the bowl game. I'm sure that other teams know this will attack Purdue's secondary directly.
Some of the worst players that were in the secondary are gone now (Blackmon in particular stands out) but the players that returned were still part of a unit that did not perform well.
I'm waiting to see if they start RS Freshman and True Freshman or just bring back the same players again.
I think that the secondary could make or break the whole season.

Who do you think will start in the secondary and how will the unit perform overall?

I think that the biggest challenge is the defense and the secondary in particular. The secondary weakness was really exposed in the Auburn game.
It had been bad all season but it truly collapsed in the bowl game. I'm sure that other teams know this will attack Purdue's secondary directly.
Some of the worst players that were in the secondary are gone now (Blackmon in particular stands out) but the players that returned were still part of a unit that did not perform well.
I'm waiting to see if they start RS Freshman and True Freshman or just bring back the same players again.
I think that the secondary could make or break the whole season.

Who do you think will start in the secondary and how will the unit perform overall?

Have to remember 3 things:

1. Kenneth Major, our #1 CB did not play in that game because he was injured leading up to the game
2. We were down basically 3 starting DL due to injury or suspension. We got 0 pressure or even threat of pressure on a good Auburn QB.
3. We brought in some absolute studs at the CB and S positions in this class. Might take a year or two for them to get where they need to be but the Secondary will be much better through the future.

I don't really see any way that Graham and Grant aren't starting as True FS this year as Safeties.

Last edited:

1. Kenneth Major, our #1 CB did not play in that game because he was injured leading up to the game
2. We were down basically 3 starting DL due to injury or suspension. We got 0 pressure or even threat of pressure on a good Auburn QB.
3. We brought in some absolute studs at the CB and S positions in this class. Might take a year or two for them to get where they need to be but the Secondary will be much better through the future.

I don't really see any way that Graham and Grant aren't starting as True FS this year as Safeties.
I dont think Mosley will get passed. Holt puts a premium on experience and the secondary needs someone back there that can direct traffic. If we go nickel base, then i could see both starting.

I dont think Mosley will get passed. Holt puts a premium on experience and the secondary needs someone back there that can direct traffic. If we go nickel base, then i could see both starting.
I think he and Major are the guys with any chance at job security. I love what I see athleticism wise from Cam Allen. He's my pick to start at CB eventually....id say next year.

I think he and Major are the guys with any chance at job security. I love what I see athleticism wise from Cam Allen. He's my pick to start at CB eventually....id say next year.
I think Smiley starts opposite Major with Mackey backing them both up.

I'm excited for our rookies in the secondary, but if more than 1 starting spot is taken by them, it means the incumbents (plus Ball/Trice) didn't improve at all and are a near liability. I don't expect that to be the case. And I hope that isn't the case.

Reactions: krf3632

Mosley will have to play his tail off if he wants to keep his job as a starter. Trice, Graham, and Grant all have physical tools that put them ahead of Mosley. If he makes mistakes and doesn’t have his old man game on point, those hungry young guys will pass him with a quickness.

Major is the one with his spot most likely locked in (IMO). Plays a physical style and was very impressive in his opportunities.

Smiley was very good, but in a nickel/safety role. Not sure how he will be as a CB. Luckily he is physical, so if the pass rush takes the jump up as we all hope, he could keep that second CB spot. If Mackey can’t crack the lineup this year, I don’t see it getting any easier as Beverly and Allen were highly sought after and Max Melton looks like he could be the real deal as well.

I think Grant is good enough to jump Mosley, but he will have to work very hard at learning the playbook to do that. Having an experienced safety like JT made all the difference the past 2 years. Not sure how a new face can do that, but maybe Trice can do that and Grant can just be the athletic freak we haven’t had back there for a while.

Mosley will have to play his tail off if he wants to keep his job as a starter. Trice, Graham, and Grant all have physical tools that put them ahead of Mosley. If he makes mistakes and doesn’t have his old man game on point, those hungry young guys will pass him with a quickness.

Major is the one with his spot most likely locked in (IMO). Plays a physical style and was very impressive in his opportunities.

Smiley was very good, but in a nickel/safety role. Not sure how he will be as a CB. Luckily he is physical, so if the pass rush takes the jump up as we all hope, he could keep that second CB spot. If Mackey can’t crack the lineup this year, I don’t see it getting any easier as Beverly and Allen were highly sought after and Max Melton looks like he could be the real deal as well.

I think Grant is good enough to jump Mosley, but he will have to work very hard at learning the playbook to do that. Having an experienced safety like JT made all the difference the past 2 years. Not sure how a new face can do that, but maybe Trice can do that and Grant can just be the athletic freak we haven’t had back there for a while.
Grant plays the position jt did. So does trice. Their competition is bt

Graham is the one that would jump Mosley. For now, I think they’re comfortable with him in the nickel role

It's also worth noting that Auburn's WR speed was unlike anything else that we faced last year (including Ohio State) or will likely face this year (caveat: I don't know about PSU or TCU WR's speed). And with 3 starting DL and a starting LB out, as well as a starting safety, they had to play up for run support versus Auburn. That was a perfect storm recipe for disaster and an anamoly.

Last edited:
I'm completely ignoring the results of the Auburn game. Injuries were a major problem and Auburn played up to their potential vs how they played earlier in the season. The Auburn team was full of high level recruits and we were essentially playing them with our backup D line. The Purdue D we'll see on the field this year will be a significant upgrade in talent and depth vs last year.

I'm completely ignoring the results of the Auburn game. Injuries were a major problem and Auburn played up to their potential vs how they played earlier in the season. The Auburn team was full of high level recruits and we were essentially playing them with our backup D line. The Purdue D we'll see on the field this year will be a significant upgrade in talent and depth vs last year.
Most all teams we play this year will look at that game film for weaknesses to exploit. DL must generate a rush & keep fingers crossed that Lorenzo Neal will be healthy and ready to go. If DL struggles, we'll have our carcasses picked and cleaned a few times this year.

Reactions: purduepat1969
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT