ADVERTISEMENT

Top 3 Items to Beat PSU

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
Well, it is the first game of the season coming up in 3 days. This is an important game, because we are going to have a national audience in prime time. We open against a BT opponent, and a win here and we could enter October without a loss.

In my opinion, the top 3 key items that we have to execute on for Thursday's game for us to win is as follows:

1. OL line play
We need to give time for O'Connell to throw and find his reads. We know he is not a scrambler, so the pocket is going to have to be kept open. We don't have a Moore/Bell, so he is going to have to spread the throws around. Also, we are never a huge running threat, but if we could get a 100 yards (or close to) game in running yards, that would be huge for the passing game.
2. Eliminate the big play
We have to eliminate the big plays for PSU. The defense did a great job last year of helping our offense by getting key stops when needed. We have to pressure their QBs, because our secondary can do some good things, but they can get exposed easily, if the other QB has too much time to survey the field.
3. Win the turnover battle.
We have to create turnovers on defense. We had too many times last year, when we had an INT or fumble develop, and we were not able to get the turnover, we dropped the INT in the hands, weren't able to get the fumble, etc.

-On a side note, I do think the addition of the Iowa transfer is going to help our Special Teams tremendously this year. I also like that we finally got rid of our Special Teams coach too. I think Special Teams might finally be a strength this year, which I have not said for a while.

To point #2, I wish Trice and Brown hadn't held out of camp. Going to be rusty on Thursday night, which leads to blow coverages.

I like our chances for a 3 pt win. Thinking it should be close.

Would really like to see PU go up by 11-14 by early 3rd Qtr and throttle them by 4th Qtr to put a nail in Franklin's coffin at PSU. Don't think it will happen, but would be nice to have a cruising victory of 21 points on Black Out night on National TV.
BTW, I'm going to this game. Went out to find black shorts this past weekend. Was hard to find this time of year up here in WI since we only get what seems like 4 weeks of summer up here. Got a dark gray pair, but will remain in the hunt for a black pair before giving up and going to Amazon.com

key matchup: PSU experienced defensive backfield covering Purdue's unknown WR group.
Who will emerge at AOC's favorite WR target?
Can Purdue exploit the PSU weakness in their D (LBs) using the TE and RB in the passing game.
Will the Purdue OL be able to create running room.

Can the Purdue DL bottle up the run (should be able to) and force PSU to throw.
Will PSU be able to pop a couple of big plays against rusty DBs coming off injury?

Reactions: DAG10
Well, it is the first game of the season coming up in 3 days. This is an important game, because we are going to have a national audience in prime time. We open against a BT opponent, and a win here and we could enter October without a loss.

In my opinion, the top 3 key items that we have to execute on for Thursday's game for us to win is as follows:

1. OL line play
We need to give time for O'Connell to throw and find his reads. We know he is not a scrambler, so the pocket is going to have to be kept open. We don't have a Moore/Bell, so he is going to have to spread the throws around. Also, we are never a huge running threat, but if we could get a 100 yards (or close to) game in running yards, that would be huge for the passing game.
We have to eliminate the big plays for PSU. The defense did a great job last year of helping our offense by getting key stops when needed. We have to pressure their QBs, because our secondary can do some good things, but they can get exposed easily, if the other QB has too much time to survey the field.
We have to create turnovers on defense. We had too many times last year, when we had an INT or fumble develop, and we were not able to get the turnover, we dropped the INT in the hands, weren't able to get the fumble, etc.

-On a side note, I do think the addition of the Iowa transfer is going to help our Special Teams tremendously this year. I also like that we finally got rid of our Special Teams coach too. I think Special Teams might finally be a strength this year, which I have not said for a while.
Eliminate the big play won’t be easy. We will stop the run well but the speed of their backs and upside receiver will be hard to deal with without a receiver getting lost somewhere. Unless you rush the passer with 4 which I don’t think we will do.

I’ll be there too. It looks like Bruce the Piano Man will be at Slayter Hill before the game. I wonder if the basketball team will have an open scrimmage. There should be a ton of prospects this week even though it is a Thursday night game.

Reactions: Poprudy
To point #2, I wish Trice and Brown hadn't held out of camp. Going to be rusty on Thursday night, which leads to blow coverages.
Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the secondary. Maybe Trice and Brown will be OK. But not getting many reps would seem to be a concern...

1. OL line play

All valid points/good calls.

I keep trying to talk myself into believing that Purdue can/will win, but, I am admittedly having a difficult time. Part of that is just because this is the type of game that Purdue has laid an egg in a handful of times...but, they have risen to the occasion in others, which, goes to my point of trying to talk myself into believing that they can/will win.

Purdue, on paper, just does not seem to match up well in this one...the OL is probably my biggest concern, both in terms of being able to generate any sort of running game, and, to protect O'Connell. The only place I feel like Purdue may have a genuine advantage is in the passing game, but, PSU has a solid secondary...they are going to blitz a ton likely...and, while Purdue has quantity at WR, whether they have quality remains to be seen, and, they lack THE guy that they have had for the last 4/5 years unfortunately that was simply better than anyone else on the field.

I am not overly impressed with Franklin...to the point that I am more concerned about them having hired Diaz.

I am excited nonetheless and look forward to the game, and, the season starting...should be a beautiful night and will undoubtedly be a great atmosphere at the outset...hopefully Purdue can capitalize on that, as, it will only get better if they do.

How Purdue adjusts to the pressure a Manny Diaz defense applies will be critical.
Purdue OL is most important position group in this game. I need to see the improvement to believe it. PSU 24-20

How Purdue adjusts to the pressure a Manny Diaz defense applies will be critical.
Purdue OL is most important position group in this game. I need to see the improvement to believe it. PSU 24-20
Could not agree more...frankly, if they don't, no way that it is as close as you have predicted.

Could not agree more...frankly, if they don't, no way that it is as close as you have predicted.
History of openers have not been our friend and PSU has outmatched us 15-3-1. Go against the grain as it is time for Purdue and Brohm to take our next step forward, and Purdue has shown they can put together equally good game plans. The time for the tide to turn is now.

Penn State has slipped a bit under coach Franklin. Manny Diaz shouldn't make us shiver since he was hired/fired many times. i'm sure he is good, but great takes quite a leap. Miami got the hell kicked out of them by WI in 2017 and 2018 during his tenure. This was with Mark Richt as head coach and Manny Diaz as D.C.

For these reasons, I'm going 28-24 Purdue win. Would not surprise me if Purdue gets additional points in 4th Qtr for a larger point differential since Black Out and National game.

Purdue OL was actually pretty good in pass pro last season, so I'm not sure how much improvement needs to be seen in that area. They gave up fewer sacks per pass than most teams in the conference and Aidan was able to complete >70% of his passes.

It's the lack of push in the run game that has been the Achilles heel.

Reactions: purduepat1969
History of openers have not been our friend and PSU has outmatched us 15-3-1. Go against the grain as it is time for Purdue and Brohm to take our next step forward, and Purdue has shown they can put together equally good game plans. The time for the tide to turn is now.

Penn State has slipped a bit under coach Franklin. Manny Diaz shouldn't make us shiver since he was hired/fired many times. i'm sure he is good, but great takes quite a leap. Miami got the hell kicked out of them by WI in 2017 and 2018 during his tenure. This was with Mark Richt as head coach and Manny Diaz as D.C.

For these reasons, I'm going 28-24 Purdue win. Would not surprise me if Purdue gets additional points in 4th Qtr for a larger point differential since Black Out and National game.
Love the confidence and your thoughts...like say, I am not there yet, but, I sure hope that you are right...I could totally see that, but, I am just skeptical...been let down so many times in the past...Purdue has struggled to beat PSU to the same extent (if not more) than it has Wisconsin.

I am excited for the game regardless...I am just not at a point where I feel that Purdue will win...certainly feel like they could, and, absolutely hope that they do, but, I am not sold yet that they will...especially with the concerns about the OL.

Purdue OL was actually pretty good in pass pro last season, so I'm not sure how much improvement needs to be seen in that area. They gave up fewer sacks per pass than most teams in the conference and Aidan was able to complete >70% of his passes.

To me, the biggest question mark in the game is whether our receivers can get separation from a pretty good PSU secondary. And if we don't run the ball at all, it's gonna be a long night...

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the secondary. Maybe Trice and Brown will be OK. But not getting many reps would seem to be a concern...
Worry more about penn state being multifaceted .. it’s not that our secondary isn’t good enough to cover their receivers head up. It’s that If you go to an alignment where you put defenders in position to keep the pass from getting behind them, it’s hard to also stop their backs and Clifford pulling it.

If you are a Purdue football fan, watch this video...please. Who's next?

Believe Aidan O'Connell has already put himself into this category with some performances already in the books. I.E. 1st NW game of his career and TN bowl game coming from behind and keeping pace to finish.

Last edited:

Agree on both, for the most part at least...pass protection was not good at all in ND game...pass protection was brutal in Wisconsin game...those were two of the most physical opponents that Purdue played, and, they were decidedly overmatched in both.

The inability to have success in short yardage situations hurt more than anything.

If nothing else, this group has experience...but, their performance has generally been average at best...if they can be above average in pass protection, and, at least average in the running game, they should be ok.

The inability to establish the run can be overcome a bit at least with the passing game...short passes...quick passes...bubble screens...all are sufficient.

I admittedly have concerns about the OL not just struggling physically with PSU up front, but, especially with respect to picking up blitzes.

Reactions: AgainstDaWind
To me, the biggest question mark in the game is whether our receivers can get separation from a pretty good PSU secondary. And if we don't run the ball at all, it's gonna be a long night...
Miller was going to be missed regardless, but, he might be more missed in a game like tomorrow night.

If you are a Purdue football fan, watch this video...please. Who's next?

Believe Aidan O'Connell has already put himself into this category with some performances already in the books. I.E. 1st NW game of his career and TN bowl game coming from behind and keeping pace to finish.
More work to do to achieve Cradle status, with only 15 starts, but he should get there. Would be hard to put him above Blough based on current body of work.

More work to do to achieve Cradle status, with only 15 starts, but he should get there. Would be hard to put him above Blough based on current body of work.
True. Stay healthy this year. Get 8-4 or better and keep some solid statistics and he'll be in that discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT