ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue's last Ross-Ade sellout?

Alan_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette
With presumably (and approximately, too) 12,000 seats left as of yesterday, that used to be in the olden days of ticket marketing an insurmountable hill to climb in a week. But with online sales, and no need to go to the ticket window, (and the fact that Purdue sold 13K seats the week of the Ohio game, it shows it is possible). Yes, tickets are 3x more than what they were for Ohio, but it is Homecoming and it has become a game worthy of national attention. Heck, one could easily argue it is the biggest home game at Purdue since the Ohio State game in 2007 (Purdue was 5-0 and ranked No. 23 at the time).

If you are thinking of getting tickets, I wouldn't wait until the last moment.

So when was the last Purdue sellout in Ross-Ade Stadium? Officially, it was for Coach Joe Tiller's final game, a 62-10 win over Indiana on Nov. 22, 2008, when 63,107 showed up. I would argue, and I have no proof or data to support my point so feel free to disregard, that that was a little bit of a sentimental sellout, but it was declared one still the same. The two sellouts prior to that came a year earlier when crowds of 65,497 and 65,250 were announced in the above-mentioned game against Ohio State and Notre Dame. Purdue was beaten soundly by the Buckeyes 23-7 on a nationally televised Saturday night game on Oct. 6, 2007, and easily handled Notre Dame and a hapless Irish team coached by Charlie Weis, 33-19 on Sept. 29, 2007.

A final note or two: I couldn't have been more wrong about the speed that Purdue fans have come back. I just didn't see even the remote possibility for a sellout for much further down the road. It is a credit to pent-up demand, yes, but also to the hope that the Three Bs: (Coach Jeff) Brohm, (athletics director Mike) Bobinski and (and Board of Trustees chair MIke) Berghoff have given this program.

Note: Take time to watch our interview with Berghoff from Friday's "Gold and Black LIVE." It is segments 2 and 3. He was really interesting.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News