ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Wide Receivers

Dec 14, 2023
This article sums up everything I said this summer about our wide receiver room and why our 2024 room is an improvement from the 2023 room.

2024 Predicted Depth Chart (When Everyone is Healthy)
Boundary - C.J. Smith - 6’3”, 195

Field - Jahmal Edrine - 6’3”, 215

Slot - Jayden Dixon-Veal - 6’0”, 190 or Kam Brown - 6’1”, 185 or Andrew Sowinski - 6’0”, 205

2023 Season Opening Depth Chart
Boundary - Deion Burks - 5’11, 195

Field - Abdur-Rahmaan Yasseen - 6’2”, 200

Slot - TJ Sheffield - 5’11, 190

Not only is the 2024 WR room bigger, they are faster.

Link to the article:

we added several very talented players via the portal. they didn't do much last year at their previous school, but they also didn't have much of an opportunity either.

Leland Smith is 6’4 220 lb with verified 4.4 speed.
CJ Smith is 6’3 195 lb. Do not know his verified speed, but know he is faster than Dieon Burks.

Freshmen Wide Receivers
Article mentions Tra’Mar Harris 6’1 180 lb but at Fall Camp, a lot of people have been talking up Shamar Rigby 6’5.

I like to see Donovan Hamilton 6’5 develop into a strong perimeter.

Last edited:
we added several very talented players via the portal. they didn't do much last year at their previous school, but they also didn't have much of an opportunity either.

Wole. Regardless of their experience, we now have NFL sized receivers that Harrell likes to work with in his system.

The main point of the article is that the 2023 receivers did not fit the system. The new receivers has the size and speed Harrell is looking for.

Tibbs a big target and a year older. Morrisette. The freshman Rigby with size and speed. Last year's WR group was a joke. We’re much better there now.

Tibbs a big target and a year older. Morrisette. The freshman Rigby with size and speed. Last year's WR group was a joke. We’re much better there now.

I really like Yaseem. He rarely dropped a pass that came his way. But as the article states, he was not durable.

Edrine perimeter, Burks slot, and healthy Yaseem, the offense could have looked much different in 2023.

Reactions: pboiler18
Walters and Harrell promised “basketball on grass” and now they have the guys to run it. I’m optimistic that results will follow.

I was making this point in another post. Basketball on grass may return as Purdue gets back to a pass early and often mentality.

Add to that a mobile QB and two hungry and capable running backs, the offense has potential to effective.

Reactions: BB62 and cillerdo
Walters and Harrell promised “basketball on grass” and now they have the guys to run it. I’m optimistic that results will follow.

I was making this point in another post. Basketball on grass may return as Purdue gets back to a pass early and often mentality.

Add to that a mobile QB and two hungry and capable running backs, the offense has potential to effective.
Harrell has always run the ball much more than most “Air Raid” style offenses. Fine with me as I think Mockobee is the most talented RB we have had in ages.

OL needs to protect better, need to zone run more, WRs need to catch in traffic better.

If that happens we can win 6-7

Reactions: SKYDOG

They promised basketball on grass? Intro presser? I don’t recall.

Yet a walk-on is projected to start at slot.

Yet a walk-on is projected to start at slot.

I assume you are referring to Sowinski. Where are you seeing in the article that Sowinski is projected to start? Maybe read the article?

He will be in the mix with other receivers. Tibbs would be good slot and most likely starting slot. (Tibbs started slot in the Spring game).

The article states we have more depth and we will most likely use several receivers throughout the season.

They promised basketball on grass? Intro presser? I don’t recall.

The article mentions the basketball on grass promise. Not sure which presser.
Most likely they were saying that this offense will have a passing identity.

I assume you are referring to Sowinski. Where are you seeing in the article that Sowinski is projected to start? Maybe read the article?

He will be in the mix with other receivers. Tibbs would be good slot and most likely starting slot. (Tibbs started slot in the Spring game).

The article states we have more depth and we will most likely use several receivers throughout the season.
I am. It says or for him to start and H&R also mentioned he would likely start in another article. I hope everyone is right about the WRs Im having a hard time getting excited about them

I am. It says or for him to start and H&R also mentioned he would likely start in another article. I hope everyone is right about the WRs Im having a hard time getting excited about them

Which WR were you excited about in 2023? I think Burks benefited from Edrine’s injury. CRW would have been in a tough place starting Burks over veterans like TJ Sheffield at slot had Edrine been our #1.

Question. If CJ Smith was in our 2022 high school recruiting class, how excited would you have been?

We never got to see Card’s full potential last year. Only flashes.
Like this Purdue team, he has been dismissed and forgotten. I like to see Card flex his muscles this year with this receiving group.

Next Saturday we find out.

Last edited:
Which WR were you excited about in 2023? I think Burks benefited from Edrine’s injury. CRW would have been in a tough place starting Burks over veterans like TJ Sheffield at slot had Edrine been our #1.

Question. If CJ Smith was in our 2022 high school recruiting class, how excited would you have been?

We never got to see Card’s full potential last year. Only flashes.
Like this Purdue team, he has been dismissed and forgotten. I like to see Card flex his muscles this year with this receiving group.

Next Saturday we find out.
Burks, Sheffield, ARY.

You all are holding double standards. We had guys with great potential and didn’t perform and you discount them. Then you want to talk about what an improvement it will be to have guys with great potential and didn’t perform transfer in. I understand georgia was tough to crack the lineup, but it’s the principal of the matter. We will likely have a walk-on, a meh sophomore, and some low 3-star transfers as biggest contributors at WR.

Burks, Sheffield, ARY.

You all are holding double standards. We had guys with great potential and didn’t perform and you discount them. Then you want to talk about what an improvement it will be to have guys with great potential and didn’t perform transfer in. I understand georgia was tough to crack the lineup, but it’s the principal of the matter. We will likely have a walk-on, a meh sophomore, and some low 3-star transfers as biggest contributors at WR.
Burks, Sheffield, and ARY maybe had potential out of high school. Not going into last year.

GBI is saying Smith, Edrine, and Dixon-Veal are probably starting at WR. You keep telling yourself sowinski is though.

This article list sowinski as an or with two other guys you seem to be ignoring. But also mentioned tibbs there. So you are ignoring 3 of 4 guys the article says can play slot.

I admit I'm lukewarm about this year's receivers. I see a lot of talk, some on this board and some from genuine articles, that lead one to believe it will be improved. I liked the main corps we had last year, but half the problem was that we couldn't keep them healthy. I think Edrine is an X-factor simply from the expectation standpoint because he didn't play last year (or very little?). But we were also waiting for ARY and Rice to get healthy for several years and they never did. Sheffield was always a problem from the attitude standpoint but he was very talented.

We will see September 14th, not next Saturday. Hopefully next Saturday is a warm up game.

Burks, Sheffield, and ARY maybe had potential out of high school. Not going into last year.

GBI is saying Smith, Edrine, and Dixon-Veal are probably starting at WR. You keep telling yourself sowinski is though.

This article list sowinski as an or with two other guys you seem to be ignoring. But also mentioned tibbs there. So you are ignoring 3 of 4 guys the article says can play slot.
And most of our transfers everyone is gushing about had potential out of high school and it’s almost too good to be true they were so good they chose to come to Purdue despite our poor track record last year with WRs? They’re lottery tickets at best. I’m hoping we win with a couple.

H&R had an article earlier this year that said sowinski is expected to start and every website you Google for our depth chart says it. I’ve been consistently saying I hope they are wrong and one of these studs gets the nod. Walters likes big guys so maybe he will play Tibbs as a starter like spring game and all these other sites are discounting him since he is too tall to be a slot?

I admit I'm lukewarm about this year's receivers. I see a lot of talk, some on this board and some from genuine articles, that lead one to believe it will be improved. I liked the main corps we had last year, but half the problem was that we couldn't keep them healthy. I think Edrine is an X-factor simply from the expectation standpoint because he didn't play last year (or very little?). But we were also waiting for ARY and Rice to get healthy for several years and they never did. Sheffield was always a problem from the attitude standpoint but he was very talented.

We will see September 14th, not next Saturday. Hopefully next Saturday is a warm up game.

Sept 14 is a long way away. If you want to make your conclusions after the ND game. That is fine.
Indy State is a warm up game and gives us some ideas about who will be our starters and what Harrell wants to do with the receivers.

I understand that we will have vanilla formations for the Indy State game,

And most of our transfers everyone is gushing about had potential out of high school and it’s almost too good to be true they were so good they chose to come to Purdue despite our poor track record last year with WRs? They’re lottery tickets at best. I’m hoping we win with a couple.

H&R had an article earlier this year that said sowinski is expected to start and every website you Google for our depth chart says it. I’ve been consistently saying I hope they are wrong and one of these studs gets the nod. Walters likes big guys so maybe he will play Tibbs as a starter like spring game and all these other sites are discounting him since he is too tall to be a slot?

I would trust sources who have actually been to practices and seen who was getting the 1st team reps. Drew who wrote this article was at practices. Sam King and Nate Baird has given some insight about which receivers were getting the 1st team rep. And they have been at practices.

Those who have not been at practices, their guess is as good as ours.

It is unfortunate that the 2023 receivers did not work out. As I previously posted, Yaseem is a good receiver when healthy. Burks stepped up when Edrine was injured.

As for the 2024 receivers, where I agree with the article is that Harrell is looking for specific size and speed in receivers. We had slot receivers trying to fill the perimeter role last year out of necessity.

Maybe you are right and the 2024 receivers do not have the quality to go up against Big Ten DBs, but Harrell should be given the chance to run this offense with the receivers that fit with what he is looking for. The size and speed he is looking for.

You are correct. It is a little bit of a gamble taking the Georgia guys as they are unproven. Edrine had a nice freshman season. BTN Tour Bus was impressed by the WR room.

Reminds me of the former four star ND transfer who ran sub 4.4. Washed out. Hope I’m wrong.

Reminds me of the former four star ND transfer who ran sub 4.4. Washed out. Hope I’m wrong.
We’ve had a ton of wr transfers, not much luck if you don’t county jc/cc. We had a head scratcher kick returner named Charlie jones That surprised everyone.

We’ve had a ton of wr transfers, not much luck if you don’t county jc/cc. We had a head scratcher kick returner named Charlie jones That surprised everyone.

And let’s not forget Tyrone Tracy. WR transfer turned RB.

We are not at practices so we have to rely on what the beat reporters sees.

Dub said he saw good things from Edrine at camp. Yes he transferred from FAU. But players are allowed to develop.
Several beat reporters thinks Edrine will be our #1.

And let’s not forget Tyrone Tracy. WR transfer turned RB.

We are not at practices so we have to rely on what the beat reporters sees.

Dub said he saw good things from Edrine at camp. Yes he transferred from FAU. But players are allowed to develop.
Several beat reporters thinks Edrine will be our #1.

BTN Tour bus was raving about the WR room. Gives me hope it could be solid. If they are and the run game can be solid again, this offense could be really good.

Harrell has always run the ball much more than most “Air Raid” style offenses. Fine with me as I think Mockobee is the most talented RB we have had in ages.

OL needs to protect better, need to zone run more, WRs need to catch in traffic better.

If that happens we can win 6-7
Mock had a big time fumbling problem last year, probably cost us a game or two. I think Walters will have a very short leash on that with Reggie Love proven and sharing snaps.

A NFL WR coach would be salivating over our size at WR, We need to see if they can create separation and actually catch the ball.

You are correct. It is a little bit of a gamble taking the Georgia guys as they are unproven. Edrine had a nice freshman season. BTN Tour Bus was impressed by the WR room.
If they were good enough for Georgia, then they're more than good enough for Purdue. Coaches need to find a way to tap into that size and talent.

And lead the B1G in catches per NCAAF 25

I do not understand the logic that this Wide Receiver room is bad if Sowinski a “walk on” rises to the top and start. Walk Ons are allowed to develop and take starting roles.

Is our RB room poor because Mockabee was once a walk on? AOC could not have been a walk on. I think Charlie Jones came in as a walk on?

I think a lot of receivers will compete for the slot receiver position. If Sowinski rises to the top and gets it. Good for him.

FYI. Sowinski and Card were roommates last year. Had build good rapport. That could help.
As it did for AOC and Charlie Jones when they were here.

Mock had a big time fumbling problem last year, probably cost us a game or two. I think Walters will have a very short leash on that with Reggie Love proven and sharing snaps.

A NFL WR coach would be salivating over our size at WR, We need to see if they can create separation and actually catch the ball.

2023 IU game, it was glaring how much bigger the IU receivers were to our defensive backs. McCulley had several jump balls on our corners.

Nebraska has a tall receiver in Jamal Banks. And they are converting their tall/fast incoming freshman Tight End to receiver because of his speed.

Size and speed at receiver will count for something this year at the B1G.

2023 IU game, it was glaring how much bigger the IU receivers were to our defensive backs. McCulley had several jump balls on our corners.

Nebraska has a tall receiver in Jamal Banks. And they are converting their tall/fast incoming freshman Tight End to receiver because of his speed.

Size and speed at receiver will count for something this year at the B1G.
Thought they were making him a WR this year because he wasn’t big enough to play TE yet?

Reactions: cillerdo
If they were good enough for Georgia, then they're more than good enough for Purdue. Coaches need to find a way to tap into that size and talent.
But they weren't good enough for Georgia. That is why the transfered to Purdue.

• Haha
Reactions: z_one
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT