ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. Minnesota: Predictions & Game Thread

We hang with them for the first half. In the first 5 minutes of the second half, we jump 12 points ahead. After that they close the lead to 7-5 points but can't quite catch us. Then they begin to foul us and we pull out a 10 point win. 75-65.

The dark side of me thinks that maybe this is an upset-weekend with both leaders going down. Makes me worry a bit.

Some thoughts, courtesy of the Journal & Courier:

"- One game after allowing 18 offensive rebounds to Penn State, Purdue now faces a team ranked even higher among Big Ten Conference teams in second chance opportunities. Murphy alone averages 3.4 offensive rebounds per game, and Oturu adds three more. Purdue is fortunate to have a point guard capable of leading it in rebounds (Nojel Eastern), but suffers somewhat from the fact that he so often does.

- (Big Tre) Williams' tour of Big Ten big men continues against Murphy, who is flat-out one of the best defensive rebounders in the country. When Williams played at Penn State he was very good, collecting 10 points on 5 of 6 field goal shooting and five rebounds with a pair of blocks. But he also only played 17 minutes due to foul trouble, pushing his fouls caused per 40 minutes to 7.4. Purdue has other options at the 5, but in some matchups Williams is the best one, and he doesn't do them any good on the bench.
"

Also, Eric Curry was hurt last year, but he did some damage in his frosh season against the Boilers......it gives the Golden Gophers another formidable presence in the front-court.

I expect another battle and hard fought game....Minnesota looks like a solid tournament team and has been somewhat overlooked outside of conference circles. I wouldn't be surprised if this comes down to the last 5 minutes or so.....and no lock for the Boilers to come out on top. However, I think the Boilers have enough to get this one.

Boiler Up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

Reactions: Schnelk and indyogb
We hang with them for the first half. In the first 5 minutes of the second half, we jump 12 points ahead. After that they close the lead to 7-5 points but can't quite catch us. Then they begin to foul us and we pull out a 10 point win. 75-65.

The dark side of me thinks that maybe this is an upset-weekend with both leaders going down. Makes me worry a bit.
plus remember they beat us at Mackey recently.

Watching warmups and Wheeler has barely hit the rim on his outside shots. When he plays as a set shooter, he could be a 40% shooter from behind the arc. He won’t be able to be a player who comes off screens but pairs well with Hunter and Eastern who can pull his defender in help and have a set shot.

Well, the Pollyanna in me says the Team knows it’s theirs for the taking (Conference Title)if they play like they are more than capable and that they are masters of their own fate. The Good Guys win this one!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT