ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Maryland Game Thread

Maryland won this game through some great plays. They out played us, period. We played well enough to win it, but Maryland made more plays.
Purdue didn't make good offensive decisions when they were up 6 or 7 to put it out of reach for the final minutes. Switch to keep them from turning to the bucket and the hit 3s. They shot behind the arc well and some bad decisions gave Purdue a L. Too many turnovers that needn't happen in the first half or Purdue might have won by 12 to 15 if they started forcing things by being down.

Youngsters that didn't play as smart as they will down the road. Definitely a wimnable game

IT, Morton only ones hitting 3’s tonight. Oh, 1 from Newman but needed more.
His perimeter defense could've been the difference. He's not great at guarding the drive but pretty good at guarding the perimeter.

Reactions: TX4GB
A lot of blame to go around on this loss. Painters use of timeouts at the end. Why not throw a pass to half court and call the last timeout. At least you get a shot. Substitution was terrible. We played long stretches with no shooters on the floor. Ivey YOU ARE NOT CARSEN. Terrible decisions late in the game. Bo calls a game deciding foul through 5 players. He couldn’t even see the play. He is a mac official. The travel that he called in the first half should preclude him from ever doing another Purdue game.

Really dumb to do the baseline pass with nobody guarding the inbound as well.
Two things
1 guessing Matt thought they would change it up after the timeout and Matt called it in the huddle
2 the triggerman had a couple of reads and you like that person to have been through some wars and trust a good decision is made. Those with experience were Tre Aaron and Eric. Don't turn it over needlessly and play smart and that last play doesn't happen. There is no single play that beat Purdue. There were a series of things that added up to an L

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Tough loss, we'll have those, big game on Saturday, must win! Not enough Newman and too much Thompson late. Thompson is a useful player, however, he can't be overplayed in big games, that's not on him, on Painter. Also, I'm sorry, Wheeler needs to be a 5 minute a game, 10th man on this team.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
he didn't. the first was just a tip on the catch. that happens all the time.
Just watched the replay and it definitely was a double dribble. Just a very awkward double dribble. Never should’ve been that position in the first place. Horrible last three possessions we just didn’t play like we wanted to win

Take thompson out and they don't score on every possession from the 7 to 2 minute mark.
Correct, his size really kills us especially on the defensive side of the ball when opponents are taking advantage of it and it really showed tonight. Not saying we lost because of it but it sure didn’t help because they killed us when they took advantage of him. His shooting has helped at times but not enough to keep him in games when we need defense. It wouldn’t surprise me if Morton takes his minutes next year once he figures it out.

Correct, his size really kills us especially on the defensive side of the ball when opponents are taking advantage of it and it really showed tonight. Not saying we lost because of it but it sure didn’t help because they killed us when they took advantage of him. His shooting has helped at times but not enough to keep him in games when we need defense. It wouldn’t surprise me if Morton takes his minutes next year once he figures it out.
Their guards are physical and used to scoring in the paint. IT just has trouble against physical players when the play is allowed. He does pose a threat to spread the court and a double off of him will not happen. I also trust him to hit FTs, but physical play can overwhelm him a bit.

Tough loss, we'll have those, big game on Saturday, must win! Not enough Newman and too much Thompson late. Thompson is a useful player, however, he can't be overplayed in big games, that's not on him, on Painter. Also, I'm sorry, Wheeler needs to be a 5 minute a game, 10th man on this team.
No reason to be sorry because you aren’t wrong! I like the kid but he plays himself out of games all the time! I don’t see him playing many minutes next year unless something drastically changes.

No reason to be sorry because you aren’t wrong! I like the kid but he plays himself out of games all the time! I don’t see him playing many minutes next year unless something drastically changes.
For the record I hope him, Dow, and everyone return, that will be a helluve 13 man roster if all buy in. I think we see Dow retire and Wheeler transfer, like I said all should be welcomed back at least for next year.

Their guards are physical and used to scoring in the paint. IT just has trouble against physical players when the play is allowed. He does pose a threat to spread the court and a double off of him will not happen. I also trust him to hit FTs, but physical play can overwhelm him a bit.
Most guards in the Big10 are physical so it wasn’t just this game that showed Thompson lacks strength and size. I’m sure Painter was trying to play it safe on the other end of the floor by leaving him in but I’m sure he’d be the first person to tell you that he should of put Newman back in earlier to help on the defensive side of the ball. We needed defensive stops more than we needed Thompson on offense.

Most guards in the Big10 are physical so it wasn’t just this game that showed Thompson lacks strength and size. I’m sure Painter was trying to play it safe on the other end of the floor by leaving him in but I’m sure he’d be the first person to tell you that he should of put Newman back in earlier to help on the defensive side of the ball. We needed defensive stops more than we needed Thompson on offense.
no problem with Brandon going in since I like him as much as any freshman. Some guards are not as physical in the lane as those...even the last basket with Tre in there Still, there is a place for IT. I never did get the feeling that Purdue was in the groove on O like Maryland. I didn't see Purdue stopping them just due to their streaks behind the arc and their ability to drive one on one. I remember telling Kim Purdue needs a stop here and one more score and another stop and then to not turn it over and hit Fts to win this. All that said, if Purdue doesn't turn it over needlessly, Purdue probably wins. If Purdue gets beat by a team that is just not exceptional, it is usually due to not handling heat on the perimeter as teams jump those passes and defend the arc a lot.

There were a lot of faults in this game and no single person was enough to lose and believe me....Matt is replaying several things over, not that he believes he made horrible decisions, but that he maybe could have done other things that bought a few more points...but then again you give Maryland a good 10 points in gimme points the first half and didn't bury them when you could ;)

Needed to drive sooner. 3 people guarding him - with enough time, could have passed it out.
several possessions through the game were started for no apparent reason around 8 to 9 seconds to go

Reactions: Boilermb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT