ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Purdue-TCU: Pre-game thoughts and GoldandBlack.com game thread

Tom_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Staff
Jan 16, 2002
Gonna be a beautiful night for football in bucolic West Lafayette, Ind.!

Tonight's visit from TCU drips with intrigue. Eager to watch the battle of wits between Jeff Brohm and Gary Patterson.

And will Elijah Sindelar play tonight? I'm think we'll see No. 2 under center. But, stay tuned.

Let's prime the pump with my three keys to victory for Purdue.

1. Pass, pass, pass … and then pass some more. Purdue is No. 3 in the nation in passing (466.0 ypg). And, chuckin’ the pigskin looks to be the way the Boilermakers are gonna have to play on offense if they want to win in 2019. TCU’s defense will provide an ample test. Getting a lead would be good—it always is, right? But, especially vs. TCU, as it would force the Horned Frogs to pass and try to match Purdue’s points.

2. More turnovers. Purdue was minus-five in turnover margin last year. This season, the Boilermakers are minus-five again. Purdue has generated just one turnover this season. Winning the turnover battle is one of the trademarks for having a successful season. Purdue needs to generate more turnovers. This would be a good time to start.

3. Manufacture a run game. Some how, some way, Purdue needs to find a way to run the ball. Perhaps that comes in the form of jet sweeps, a short-passing game … whatever. The Boilermakers need to keep an aggressive TCU defense off balance and open room for their passing game.

Oh, and here are my picks to click ....

Offense: WR David Bell. We have seen the freshman expand his role each week. Look for him to break out vs. TCU. Bell probably will start, as Jared Sparks may be out. With TCU focused on Rondale Moore, Bell may have double-digit catches tonight.

Defense: LB Cornel Jones. He just makes plays. We saw it last year. But, he also lacked discipline at times. Jones says he has matured. Good. Purdue will need him to excel as he replaces Markus Bailey. Look for Jones to deliver a big game.

Share your thoughts ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News