ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue roster/game details from 50/51 or 54/55?

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
Looking for a friend who's dad played for Crown Point HS, got a schollie offer for Washington but walked on at Purdue. He can't remember if he played just out of HS or after he got back from Korea, I'm thinking the latter. He was talking to one of his uncles this last week who remembers seeing him play in a BT game on TV, so I'd assume he made the roster at some point...or did walk ons play back then? Only there a year and a half (so 2 football seasons) before he had to go back home and take care of the family business. I'm Googling but not finding what I'm looking for. any help would be appreciated.

Good luck searching, it's now almost impossible for some things as the excellent search engine AltaVista no longer exists, and most others now are only concerned with steering you in the direction of advertisers. I remember a search a few years ago for a hotel in Germany but could never get their actual website after 2 hours of trying, but numerous other places that would book a room for you there. I couldn't even find their website through the chain of hotels they belonged to.

Having some experience a few years ago trying to dig up information from the early 1960s for football, the Purdue football website did have some information, but I ended up by finding the information I wanted from an article in a small Indiana town's paper. So you might try looking at your local paper, hopefully it still exists and they have entered things in a website. I would call there if they still exist and inquire of them if they have such information, and if not, where you might have the best luck finding it. Also, perhaps the local library may have a competent computer person that knows how to do computer searches. When I worked at NASA in the distant past, I could waste days trying to do a computer search, but discovered that the librarians could find things in seconds as they knew the best terms to use. What a difference using a different word that has the exact same meaning can make!

Reactions: Tommaker
Good luck searching, it's now almost impossible for some things as the excellent search engine AltaVista no longer exists, and most others now are only concerned with steering you in the direction of advertisers. I remember a search a few years ago for a hotel in Germany but could never get their actual website after 2 hours of trying, but numerous other places that would book a room for you there. I couldn't even find their website through the chain of hotels they belonged to.

Having some experience a few years ago trying to dig up information from the early 1960s for football, the Purdue football website did have some information, but I ended up by finding the information I wanted from an article in a small Indiana town's paper. So you might try looking at your local paper, hopefully it still exists and they have entered things in a website. I would call there if they still exist and inquire of them if they have such information, and if not, where you might have the best luck finding it. Also, perhaps the local library may have a competent computer person that knows how to do computer searches. When I worked at NASA in the distant past, I could waste days trying to do a computer search, but discovered that the librarians could find things in seconds as they knew the best terms to use. What a difference using a different word that has the exact same meaning can make!
I had similar challenges trying to find info on a basketball player from the 50s and a roster, and that was a prolific team and the player was in our hall of fame and still tough to find (never found roster or team photo just individual stuff). Good luck!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT