ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue ranks #41 in expenses for football recruiting

Colleges That Spend the Most on Recruiting Football Players (yahoo.com)

Wisconsin is an anomaly rating higher than Purdue in spending little money recruiting. Some other Big 10 schools spend a lot compared to Purdue, like Minnesota and Nebraska. This may be one reason for Purdue's not doing well the last two years.
Purdues 2020 class was pretty damn good. The 2021 class left a little to be desired, but the floor is higher than any class Brohm has brought in, just no top end talent compared to the other classes outside of yanni. Small class hurts rankings. Diaco did no favors either. Recruiting isn't an issue.

Purdues 2020 class was pretty damn good. The 2021 class left a little to be desired, but the floor is higher than any class Brohm has brought in, just no top end talent compared to the other classes outside of yanni. Small class hurts rankings. Diaco did no favors either. Recruiting isn't an issue.

real eye opening when notre dame fans said he flat out didn’t recruit lol.. wow

Colleges That Spend the Most on Recruiting Football Players (yahoo.com)

Wisconsin is an anomaly rating higher than Purdue in spending little money recruiting. Some other Big 10 schools spend a lot compared to Purdue, like Minnesota and Nebraska. This may be one reason for Purdue's not doing well the last two years.
It is a part of it, but, so is coaching turnover, a lack of some success with respect to wins/losses and no bowl game, the lack of some national attention that had been garnered, and, that bad loss to Auburn did damage as well.

Reactions: Fugs
It is a part of it, but, so is coaching turnover, a lack of some success with respect to wins/losses and no bowl game, the lack of some national attention that had been garnered, and, that bad loss to Auburn did damage as well.
The Auburn loss? Recruits are smarter than fans

Reactions: Fugs and PUQBMan.
I am really at a loss how an exhibition game mattered to recruits
Recruit or otherwise, anybody that saw/watched that game saw just how far Purdue was still from being even remotely legitimate on a national scale...and, anybody that may have missed it was made aware of it by other schools in the recruiting process.

It may have been an exhibition game, but, it set Purdue back and I don't know how anyone at all could realistically suggest otherwise.

Recruit or otherwise, anybody that saw/watched that game saw just how far Purdue was still from being even remotely legitimate on a national scale...and, anybody that may have missed it was made aware of it by other schools in the recruiting process.

It may have been an exhibition game, but, it set Purdue back and I don't know how anyone at all could realistically suggest otherwise.

It can easily be spun as early playing time to be had. Did the next class suck? I don’t think so. You sound like as much of a “fan” as fugs

The Auburn loss? Recruits are smarter than fans
Keep telling yourself (and others) that if you like, but, not only not always the case, but, probably less often the case than not.

If you don't feel like Purdue being embarrassed did not hurt recruiting at all, so be it...and you may be right I guess, but, I have a hard time believing that it helped them in any way certainly...not as if guys have been flocking there following it.

It can easily be spun as early playing time to be had. Did the next class suck? I don’t think so. You sound like as much of a “fan” as fugs
The next class was largely completed already...look at the class after though and ask the same question.

As if I am concerned about someone with the moniker of "BC" fanatic questioning any sort of fandom of me or others.

Yeah, it could be spun that way, but, it is only relevant to guys worried about playing time somewhere else, and, the best guys do not worry about such things. I am sure that it was spun that way, but, it could have been spun that way for this year certainly as well, and, again next year also...if they continue to struggle as they have, it will be easy to sell that every year as there won't be anything else to sell, and, that is when you end up with guys that are too worried about having to compete elsewhere to play, or, guys that are second-tier (or less).

Finally...Purdue has LONG been able to offer early playing time as a carrot...and, it has rarely translated to any success, much less sustained success, as a program unfortunately...more importantly, to me, and, I have to think to potential interested recruits, it would be far easier to sell a win against Auburn in a bowl game than early playing time as something enticing.

Last edited:
expenses can be directly related to where a team actively recruits. UW has been historically low because they have several pipelines to the Illinois / Chicago schools, and they recruit their local area for linemen. They don't go very far from the midwest to recruit players, therefore their cost is down. In the past, Purdue has recruited in Florida, Texas, and a few places in California. As Purdue increased their in state recruiting, their expenses went down. Notre Dame and Alabama recruit athletes from all over the country. i would expect their expenses to be high. Florida, Texas and California schools costs are probably low because they can concentrate on instate athletes.

yes, losing to Auburn might have affected the interest of recruits from the Florida area. But it probably also affected recruiting of instate players as well. It had more of an impact on actual commitments than the expense of recruiting.

I have said many times, Purdue could build a tremendous team if they just concentrated on players from the Illinois/indiana/Michigan/Ohio/Wisconsin region. The same is true with basketball. Purdue doesn't really need those players from Texas and Florida if it were able to get the best from indiana< Michigan and Ohio.

as for class size, it should have no baring on expenses. just because a team signs less than 20 players does not mean it should be recruiting fewer players.

a factor to remember. This is the cost of recruiting, not how effective your recruiting is. if you are in the center of a hotbed of talent, your recruiting expenses should be low. Purdue basketball recruiting expenses should be really low. Hit chicago, the SPiCE AAU circuit and indiana, Michigan and louisville, and you should be able to create a top 20 recruiting class without having to span the globe looking for talent.

and look at how many unofficial visits purdue receives.

expenses can be directly related to where a team actively recruits. UW has been historically low because they have several pipelines to the Illinois / Chicago schools, and they recruit their local area for linemen. They don't go very far from the midwest to recruit players, therefore their cost is down. In the past, Purdue has recruited in Florida, Texas, and a few places in California. As Purdue increased their in state recruiting, their expenses went down. Notre Dame and Alabama recruit athletes from all over the country. i would expect their expenses to be high. Florida, Texas and California schools costs are probably low because they can concentrate on instate athletes.

yes, losing to Auburn might have affected the interest of recruits from the Florida area. But it probably also affected recruiting of instate players as well. It had more of an impact on actual commitments than the expense of recruiting.

I have said many times, Purdue could build a tremendous team if they just concentrated on players from the Illinois/indiana/Michigan/Ohio/Wisconsin region. The same is true with basketball. Purdue doesn't really need those players from Texas and Florida if it were able to get the best from indiana< Michigan and Ohio.

as for class size, it should have no baring on expenses. just because a team signs less than 20 players does not mean it should be recruiting fewer players.

a factor to remember. This is the cost of recruiting, not how effective your recruiting is. if you are in the center of a hotbed of talent, your recruiting expenses should be low. Purdue basketball recruiting expenses should be really low. Hit chicago, the SPiCE AAU circuit and indiana, Michigan and louisville, and you should be able to create a top 20 recruiting class without having to span the globe looking for talent.

and look at how many unofficial visits purdue receives.
So Purdue didn’t really need Carsen Edwards? GTFOH. You just can’t help yourself with your idiotic pontifications.......

Reactions: JRowdy20
So Purdue didn’t really need Carsen Edwards? GTFOH. You just can’t help yourself with your idiotic pontifications.......
You have zero reading comprehension! And your knowledge of Purdue recruiting history is zilch! Carson was not Painter’s first choice. People with inside info knew that. He was his third choice!
This entire thread was about the expense of recruiting! My point was that if Purdue had recruited only players from Indiana, Michigan , Ohio and Illinois, they could save a lot on recruiting expenses!

And the truth is it would have resulted in a lot lower recruiting expenses! Carsen was great, but I have to believe a team comprised solely of Indiana’s 5 best players would have been even better! And just think of instead of recruiting Dow, Purdue would have signed the best center in Indiana?

as I said, this thread is about the expenses of recruiting, not the actual recruiting! And it’s very clear if Purdue were able to sign the best of their state, their expenses would drop, and they’d still have a great team!

how much did it cost Purdue to recruit George and Yanni? How much would it have cost to recruit Cronk and Anthrop? Think of the savings if we had signed the QB from Indiana instead of the two from California!

as I said this thread is about saving money! It’s your choice to stick to the subject or do your typical post and bad mouth me! Your choice!

You have zero reading comprehension! And your knowledge of Purdue recruiting history is zilch! Carson was not Painter’s first choice. People with inside info knew that. He was his third choice!
This entire thread was about the expense of recruiting! My point was that if Purdue had recruited only players from Indiana, Michigan , Ohio and Illinois, they could save a lot on recruiting expenses!

And the truth is it would have resulted in a lot lower recruiting expenses! Carsen was great, but I have to believe a team comprised solely of Indiana’s 5 best players would have been even better! And just think of instead of recruiting Dow, Purdue would have signed the best center in Indiana?

as I said, this thread is about the expenses of recruiting, not the actual recruiting! And it’s very clear if Purdue were able to sign the best of their state, their expenses would drop, and they’d still have a great team!

how much did it cost Purdue to recruit George and Yanni? How much would it have cost to recruit Cronk and Anthrop? Think of the savings if we had signed the QB from Indiana instead of the two from California!

as I said this thread is about saving money! It’s your choice to stick to the subject or do your typical post and bad mouth me! Your choice!
You’re clueless. Without C-A-R-S-E-N (not Carson) who basically helped will us to a win vs Tennessee along with Cline, we don’t get to the Elite Eight. His performance in the Elite Eight made Purdue attractive to higher-level talent. Painter showed he can coach higher-level talent and make them into spotlight players. Without that, we probably don’t get Ivey. I also think Morton saw the potential.

The focus of any P5 program is to win games. WGAF about recruiting expenses in the bigger scheme of things, especially when you have 1/2 or more of the state of IN who always try to push recruits towards IU and away from Purdue. Painter should try to get the best talent he can regardless of where they’re from. Getting Ivey, Furst, Kaufman, and Loyer from IN is always a good thing. So is getting players like Morton, Carsen Edwards, Brown from Philly, Iwuchukwu (hope we get him or the PF from the Region), Heide. OH kids will naturally choose OSU to start. MI kids will naturally start with UM and MSU. IL kids Illinois, especially from Chicago.

It’s naive to think Painter can just draw a 300 radius around WL and just get whomever he wants. Thankfully, he doesn’t follow your recruiting philosophy (AT ALL).

You are horrible at writing. You post small novels and much of the time what you post is written so incoherently/unclearly that others call you out. You get mad that people call you out - like we’re supposed to divine your actual intent.

55970573.jpg

I think what hurt Purdue more than Diaco was the stupid NCAA shutting down recruiting off campus and kids not getting official/unofficial visits. Purdue not being a bike to get kids on campus really hurts them , because I’ve heard Brohm and staff are great closers.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerN
You are horrible at writing. You post small novels and much of the time what you post is written so incoherently/unclearly that others call you out. You get mad that people call you out - like we’re supposed to divine your actual intent.
Amen! Amen !! Amen!! Preach it. He Needs to go the IU sight , or whatever team he really supports , because it’s not Purdue.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
I think what hurt Purdue more than Diaco was the stupid NCAA shutting down recruiting off campus and kids not getting official/unofficial visits. Purdue not being a bike to get kids on campus really hurts them , because I’ve heard Brohm and staff are great closers.
Yup. This year had everything against them in recruiting and they still had a class with the highest floor yet.

The next class was largely completed already...look at the class after though and ask the same question.

As if I am concerned about someone with the moniker of "BC" fanatic questioning any sort of fandom of me or others.

Yeah, it could be spun that way, but, it is only relevant to guys worried about playing time somewhere else, and, the best guys do not worry about such things. I am sure that it was spun that way, but, it could have been spun that way for this year certainly as well, and, again next year also...if they continue to struggle as they have, it will be easy to sell that every year as there won't be anything else to sell, and, that is when you end up with guys that are too worried about having to compete elsewhere to play, or, guys that are second-tier (or less).

Finally...Purdue has LONG been able to offer early playing time as a carrot...and, it has rarely translated to any success, much less sustained success, as a program unfortunately...more importantly, to me, and, I have to think to potential interested recruits, it would be far easier to sell a win against Auburn in a bowl game than early playing time as something enticing.
Well said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT