11. Iowa
T12. Wisconsin
T12. Nebraska
14. USC
15. Washington
16. Northwestern
17. Penn State
18. Minnesota

I am not trying to cause a troll firestorm. This is a legitimate question.

Is IU really supposed to be that good in theory? I don't honestly keep up with their team, except when we play them, so I don't know much about their off season activity.. However, I don't remember their recruiting class being that high (I might have missed them in the final rankings). Did they add some big transfers?

Including points received:

Standings (first-place votes in parenthesis)
1. Purdue, 572 (20)
2. Indiana, 549 (7)
3. UCLA, 510 (2)
4. Illinois, 458 (2)
5. Michigan State, 448 (1)
6. Oregon, 412
7. Rutgers, 391
8. Ohio State, 369 (1)
9. Michigan, 342
10. Maryland, 263
11. Iowa, 249
T-12 Wisconsin, 212
T-12 Nebraska, 212
14. USC, 196
15. Washington, 158
16. Northwestern, 153
17. Penn State, 87
18. Minnesota, 62

Player of the year

Braden Smith, Purdue (27)

Also receiving votes: Oumar Ballo, Indiana, Ace Bailey, Rutgers (2); Kobe Johnson, UCLA, Payton Sandfort, Iowa (1).

Freshman of the year

Dylan Harper, Rutgers (19.5)

Also receiving votes: Ace Bailey, Rutgers (12.5); Kasparas Jakucionis, Illinois (1).

Transfer of the year

Oumar Ballo, Indiana (17)

Also receiving votes: Great Osobor, Washington, Myles Rice, Indiana (4); Vlad Goldin, Michigan (3); Kylan Boswell, Illinois, (2); Tyler Bilodeau, UCLA, Ja’Kobe Gillespie, Maryland, Saint Thomas, USC (1).

First team

• Braden Smith, Purdue (64)
  • Payton Sandfort, Iowa (48)
  • Oumar Ballo, Indiana (47)
  • Bruce Thornton, Ohio State (34)
  • Dylan Harper, Rutgers (32)

Second team

• Jackson Shelstad, Oregon (30)
  • Ace Baldwin Jr., Penn State (26)
  • Great Osobor, Washington (26)
  • Ace Bailey, Rutgers (25)
  • Dawson Garcia, Minnesota (23)

Also receiving votes

Brooks Barnhizer, Northwestern, Malik Reneau, Indiana (19); Mackenzie Mgbako and Myles Rice, Indiana (13); Kasparas Jakucionis, Illinois (12); Vlad Goldin, Michigan (11); Desmond Claude, USC, Julian Reese, Maryland (7); Dylan Andrews, UCLA (6); Brice Williams, Nebraska (5); Jaden Akins, Michigan State, Kylan Boswell, Illinois (4); Xavier Booker, Michigan State, Kobe Johnson, UCLA (3); Tyler Bilodeau, UCLA, Frankie Fidler, Michigan State, Owen Freeman, Iowa, Ja’Kobe Gillespie, Maryland, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Indiana, Saint Thomas, USC (2); Meechie Johnson, Ohio State, Fletcher Loyer, Purdue, Sebastian Mack, UCLA (1).

Is IU really supposed to be that good in theory? I don't honestly keep up with their team, except when we play them, so I don't know much about their off season activity.. However, I don't remember their recruiting class being that high (I might have missed them in the final rankings). Did they add some big transfers?
Recruiting has nothing to do with it , they have 4 good transfers coming in and paid a lot for them.

Player of the year

Also receiving votes: Oumar Ballo, Indiana, Ace Bailey, Rutgers (2); Kobe Johnson, UCLA, Payton Sandfort, Iowa (1).

Freshman of the year

Also receiving votes: Ace Bailey, Rutgers (12.5); Kasparas Jakucionis, Illinois (1).

Transfer of the year

Also receiving votes: Great Osobor, Washington, Myles Rice, Indiana (4); Vlad Goldin, Michigan (3); Kylan Boswell, Illinois, (2); Tyler Bilodeau, UCLA, Ja’Kobe Gillespie, Maryland, Saint Thomas, USC (1).
The POY and FOY voting makes me chuckle. Harper is voted to win FOY. Ave Bailey 2nd. But then it's Bailey listed on the POY voting and no Harper.

Reactions: pboiler18

Also receiving votes

Brooks Barnhizer, Northwestern, Malik Reneau, Indiana (19); Mackenzie Mgbako and Myles Rice, Indiana (13); Kasparas Jakucionis, Illinois (12); Vlad Goldin, Michigan (11); Desmond Claude, USC, Julian Reese, Maryland (7); Dylan Andrews, UCLA (6); Brice Williams, Nebraska (5); Jaden Akins, Michigan State, Kylan Boswell, Illinois (4); Xavier Booker, Michigan State, Kobe Johnson, UCLA (3); Tyler Bilodeau, UCLA, Frankie Fidler, Michigan State, Owen Freeman, Iowa, Ja’Kobe Gillespie, Maryland, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Indiana, Saint Thomas, USC (2); Meechie Johnson, Ohio State, Fletcher Loyer, Purdue, Sebastian Mack, UCLA (1).
Whoops.

They bought the best available veteran talent. If they had a demonstrated winning culture, they would be picked 1st in the B1G and easily top 10 nationally.

On paper they have a lot of talent, cuz they paid good money to get transfers in.

Outside of that, it's about how well Woody can coach them together and there's still some lingering questions about having enough shooting, which seems to be the running theme every year on Bloomington

Ballo's going to be a beast under center , they "bought" themselves a good team , I guess alums getting restless. TKR I believe will take his game up another level and it's perfect timing. Go CMP lead on coach .

Ballo's going to be a beast under center , they "bought" themselves a good team , I guess alums getting restless. TKR I believe will take his game up another level and it's perfect timing. Go CMP lead on coach .

I saw one of their fans post that in 23 years since RMK was fired, IU has a sub .500 record in conference play. Pretty wild Stat for a program that identifies as a blue blood.

Last edited:
Ballo is a lane clogger and will be a disaster for this team. Ware could shift outside and had an outside shot and opened up the lane for all their non-shooter guards and other bigs like Mgbako and Renau to do their thing. It’s not a good fit. They also were horrible from 3 and their new guards are even worse than xavier, cupps, and gunn. I don’t see how they will improve much as I think Mgbako and Renau will struggle, ware > ballo, and their players aren’t improving from year to year.

How is Rutgers 7th with a first and second team all big ten?

Reactions: BoilerAndy

Player of the year

Freshman of the year

Transfer of the year

Just don’t see how Ballo can be the POTY. I think he’s overrated. But just my opinion.

Ballo is a 5th year Covid senior who is slow and not an actual 7 footer. Drove AZ fans crazy last year with his decisions when he had the ball. He’s a 12 and 10 guy which is good but there’s a reason he’s back for a 5th year.

Ballo is a lane clogger and will be a disaster for this team. Ware could shift outside and had an outside shot and opened up the lane for all their non-shooter guards and other bigs like Mgbako and Renau to do their thing. It’s not a good fit. They also were horrible from 3 and their new guards are even worse than xavier, cupps, and gunn. I don’t see how they will improve much as I think Mgbako and Renau will struggle, ware > ballo, and their players aren’t improving from year to year.
Eh I would say their current guards are much better than X (got blocked by Morton lol) and cupps (should be the sixth man on a MAC team). Agreed with ware>ballo. Ballo won’t bring anyone out, unless he somehow has developed an outside shot in year 5.

I’ve said it before, if Woodson can figure out how to incorporate the 3 more and reach his team how to defend the 3, they’ll be much better.

And yeah, he has yet to develop anyone from year 1->year 3/4. I guess you could say Reneau is that guy right now, so we will see if he is more improved. They have the first half of the season to figure it out since they aren’t playing anyone.

Lol....lane clogger, where's the beef , that's one of things I'll miss with Edey, definitely clogged the lane , but did something 😁

Just don’t see how Ballo can be the POTY. I think he’s overrated. But just my opinion.
Agree. For the 90s Pacer fans out there he's basically Dale Davis. Dale was an automatic 10 and 10 on some really good teams. A very important piece, but if he is best player on team you're probably in trouble.

I personally think Rice or Reneau, heck even Mbacko, have better odds than Ballo on that roster.

Last edited:
I’m actually a little surprised to see Purdue getting this much respect from the media without Edey, Gillis, Jones, and Morton and with no incoming transfers. I personally can definitely see them pulling it off, but on paper, IU has what looks like the most talent. This speaks to what Matt Painter has built and the quality of player that he has in the program.

Picking Purdue 1st is high praise and probably says a lot about Painter's standing in the college basketball world.

Personally, I don't expect Purdue to win the B1G, but I do think the team will be competitive. I'm thinking somewhere between 12-8 and 15-5.

I’m actually a little surprised to see Purdue getting this much respect from the media without Edey, Gillis, Jones, and Morton and with no incoming transfers. I personally can definitely see them pulling it off, but on paper, IU has what looks like the most talent. This speaks to what Matt Painter has built and the quality of player that he has in the program.
The reverse jinx!

Edit: IU always looks like they have a lot of talent 😂 it’s the same old song and dance it’s been for 30+ years. Maybe they’ll finally get to the second weekend, or maybe just concentrate on making the dance first. We will see if money can really buy a good team or not…or maybe just that they need a better coach.

Media poll is in...

1. Purdue(20)
2. Indiana(7)
3. UCLA(2)
4. Illinois(2)
5. Michigan State(1)
6. Oregon
7. Rutgers
8. Ohio State(1)
9. Michigan
10. Maryland
11. Iowa
T12. Wisconsin
T12. Nebraska
14. USC
15. Washington
16. Northwestern
17. Penn State
18. Minnesota
Ohio St and Michigan are top 5. Wisconsin will be in the top 10. Michigan St., can Izzo get back his mojo? Indiana, can Woody stay away from the double digit beat downs? Purdue might have the toughest BT schedule. Indiana might end up with weakest overall schedule in the BT, their non-conf is a joke!

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Ohio St and Michigan are top 5. Wisconsin will be in the top 10. Michigan St., can Izzo get back his mojo? Indiana, can Woody stay away from the double digit beat downs? Purdue might have the toughest BT schedule. Indiana might end up with weakest overall schedule in the BT, their non-conf is a joke!
It’s interesting as another poster commented, that Rutgers is so high. I’d put OSU and Michigan above them and probably even MSU at this point.

Agree. For the 90s Pacer fans out there he's basically Dale Davis. Dale was an automatic 10 and 10 on some really good teams. A very important piece, but if he is best player on team you're probably in trouble.

I personally think Rice or Reneau, heck even Mbacko, have better odds than Ballo on that roster.
This is spot on.

If Ballo succeeds, it will be as an effective complimentary player that affects winning without the ball in his hands. But if IU succeeds, it will be because, for the first time since Yogi Ferrell, they actually have an effective floor leader in Myles Rice.

This is spot on.

If Ballo succeeds, it will be as an effective complimentary player that affects winning without the ball in his hands. But if IU succeeds, it will be because, for the first time since Yogi Ferrell, they actually have an effective floor leader in Myles Rice.
Is Rice a point guard? He did not even register in the top 100 for assists a game! Galloway was a lot better!

Is Rice a point guard? He did not even register in the top 100 for assists a game! Galloway was a lot better!
Rice is absolutely a point guard. Galloway will likely play 25+ minutes per game and split between multiple positions. But Galloway is definitely not a full time pg.

Rice is absolutely a point guard. Galloway will likely play 25+ minutes per game and split between multiple positions. But Galloway is definitely not a full time pg.
Galloway should never have to be on the floor without one of Rice, Carlyle or Cupps. And that's going to be a big positive for him.

Galloway should never have to be on the floor without one of Rice, Carlyle or Cupps. And that's going to be a big positive for him.
Serious question, if Woody wins the conference and makes it to the second weekend, is that enough to keep him off the hot seat for a couple of years?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT