ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue offers 2025 Ohio guard Antione West Jr.

Past history of CMP's new offers sometimes indicated some of old offers interest faded on one side or the other. Wonder if that is still the case in new NIL landscape?
I would agree with this. In the past when you see painter offer someone new, that usually meant he has moved on from someone he was previously recruiting.

He offered Edey when Dickinson was wavering and leaning elsewhere.

Painter was one of the first to recruit Holgrem and provide him an offer. And then painter moved on as did Holgrem.

To be offering scholarships to two different guards in the same week makes me speculate the other guards Painter was recruiting have said no thanks. While we talk a lot about Haralson and Mullins, has Psinter said anything about either player lately?

WHAT DOES PAINTER KNOW THAT WE DONT?! 😂

Gotta mean someone’s out. Hopefully, Mullins since he got that offer from UNC and he’s going to go there so no need to offer him. Or maybe Walker since he’s announcing in 2 days.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I would agree with this. In the past when you see painter offer someone new, that usually meant he has moved on from someone he was previously recruiting.

Painter was one of the first to recruit Holgrem and provide him an offer. And then painter moved on as did Holgrem.

To be offering scholarships to two different guards in the same week makes me speculate the other guards Painter was recruiting have said no thanks. While we talk a lot about Haralson and Mullins, has Psinter said anything about either player lately?
Weird. I've never heard Painter ever talk about an unsigned recruit. Ever. Not Ivey, not Biggie, not any Edwards or Johnson. Hmmm...I wonder why that is? Strange.

He can’t say anything about either player period.
A lot of that speculation was going on when he offered cox out of the blue with Harris or even the rumored switcheroo by Catchings but it was all for nothing. Same with Ivey and Trey Galloway. He probably already knows about Walker as I doubt Walker announces Friday without a firm guarantee from paint. My speciation is some offers are contingent on others not committing, which is common. He might be putting folks on notice to $hit or get off the pot like we expect he did with Trey (and validated by him putting his Purdue stuff on the curb).

I do think CMP was smart to wait until until May if he had new guard offers in mind. Don't think new offers would rock the boat, but on the rare off chance they do, if you are considering them why not wait until after transfer deadline. Painter is just so sharp. Lucky to have him as our coach!

The NCAA settlement + other government goings on has whispers going about that there will be 15 spots for basketball plus revenue sharing up to $20m for players.
So Paint knew this allll along. And seems like Cronin does too. I saw the article on espn referencing football and baseball…but is there somewhere that references basketball? Not trying to challenge you, just was curious to see that info!

So Paint knew this allll along. And seems like Cronin does too. I saw the article on espn referencing football and baseball…but is there somewhere that references basketball? Not trying to challenge you, just was curious to see that info!

Nothing official just random internetters basically.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Then it must be true! --- right? (this is NOT snotty, just supporting how most people use random internetters info ... which often turns out true)

If you scroll down to “scholarship and roster limits” it’s interesting what it talks about with roster caps.

The NCAA settlement + other government goings on has whispers going about that there will be 15 spots for basketball plus revenue sharing up to $20m for players.
But if this is coming, you would expect to see numerous "oversigned" programs.

Reactions: Schnelk
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Thanks, I have been waiting to hear this! I wondered if this might happen. The scholarship limit used to be 15, and the NCAA reduced it because it was felt the blue bloods were stockpiling players. The portal and removal of the transfer redshirt rule has fixed that problem, IMO.

As has been said, UCLA is ... there are just more enlightened coaches than others.
You have to be enlightened to know 15 is more than 13? Seems pretty basic to me. Unless only Purdue and UCLA know this is coming and no one else does which is pretty unlikely.

And one isn't really numerous. There are always a handful of programs oversigned each season for various reasons. It's not even the first time Painter's been oversigned in a season.

My quibble isn't that this couldn't happen, I just find it unlikely that only two coaches have advanced notice or foresight to act on it. I think it more likely we had a different plan in place as did UCLA but once this became a real option, as apparently it now is, then this becomes obviously a better option since we would no longer be oversigned at all.

Last edited:
You have to be enlightened to know 15 is more than 13? Seems pretty basic to me. Unless only Purdue and UCLA know this is coming and no one else does which is pretty unlikely.

And one isn't really numerous. There are always a handful of programs oversigned each season for various reasons. It's not even the first time Painter's been oversigned in a season.

My quibble isn't that this couldn't happen, I just find it unlikely that only two coaches have advanced notice or foresight to act on it. I think it more likely we had a different plan in place as did UCLA but once this became a real option, as apparently it now is, then this becomes obviously a better option since we would no longer be oversigned at all.
The article mentions they could go to roster caps instead of scholarship limits. And yeah I could see Paint knowing about it and probably others didn’t but rather needed to build their teams through NIL for this current year and Purdue may have been in a better position to tak advantage.

But I’ll try and get back to you with more teams. Could have sworn there were more so let me do some digging.

The article mentions they could go to roster caps instead of scholarship limits. And yeah I could see Paint knowing about it and probably others didn’t but rather needed to build their teams through NIL for this current year and Purdue may have been in a better position to tak advantage.

But I’ll try and get back to you with more teams. Could have sworn there were more so let me do some digging.
I guess I can't see why two random schools would know. That's my quibble. Or even just a handful.

I guess I can't see why two random schools would know. That's my quibble. Or even just a handful.
Add Nevada and Houston to the list, as they have 14 too

So, the coaches that are doing this:

Painter
Cronin
Sampson
Alford

Last edited:
Add Nevada and Houston to the list, as they have 14 too

So, the coaches that are doing this:

Painter
Cronin
Sampson
Alford

Hey......All Big Ten, New Big Ten (plus eight), or former Big Ten coaches..... :)

6988be89-ff28-4c81-bad2-9a7b0f15f780_text.gif

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Reactions: Do Dah Day
Thanks. So it looks like it’s more than just “2 random teams” are thinking or know theyll
Be able to have more than 13 and are taking advantage of it without having to pay a bunch for transfers in the portal…seem to be getting ahead of it/using it as a strategy
Sure, it's 14 out of 300+.

With teams not led by experienced coaches thrown in. So, if, this is known it's known by everyone. I don't think the Kennesaw State coach knows more than the OSU coach.

And if it's known by everyone you'd expect at least half to put out more offers. OSU, Michigan, IU... you'd expect the richer schools to go on a portal run, heck you'd expect us to offer a portal match.

I'd also want to know what the recent historical average of oversigned teams in an off-season. Is 14 rare or the norm?

My point was and is not that this couldn't be happening, it's that these teams don't have inside information and that I would think there would be an explosion of teams oversigned or offering more than they currently have.

13 is a practical number of scholarship players. Many teams wouldn’t offer more than this even if they could, we often start the year with 11-12 only ourselves.
Many teams would, and used to do back when it was more.

What makes 13 practical over 14?

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Sure, it's 14 out of 300+.

With teams not led by experienced coaches thrown in. So, if, this is known it's known by everyone. I don't think the Kennesaw State coach knows more than the OSU coach.

And if it's known by everyone you'd expect at least half to put out more offers. OSU, Michigan, IU... you'd expect the richer schools to go on a portal run, heck you'd expect us to offer a portal match.

I'd also want to know what the recent historical average of oversigned teams in an off-season. Is 14 rare or the norm?

My point was and is not that this couldn't be happening, it's that these teams don't have inside information and that I would think there would be an explosion of teams oversigned or offering more than they currently have.
Your presumption is that if coaches were aware of a proposed roster expansion, that they would immediately leap to fill their rosters to the brim. But is that true?

There are alternate strategies that these "unenlightened" coaches are employing. Take John Calipari, who recently stated, "You may think I'm crazy, but I told my staff, I only want to have eight or nine guys, They're leaving anyway and why would I develop a kid for someone else? Why would I do that?"

Coach Cal strategy at Arkansas

Your presumption is that if coaches were aware of a proposed roster expansion, that they would immediately leap to fill their rosters to the brim. But is that true?

There are alternate strategies that these "unenlightened" coaches are employing. Take John Calipari, who recently stated, "You may think I'm crazy, but I told my staff, I only want to have eight or nine guys, They're leaving anyway and why would I develop a kid for someone else? Why would I do that?"

Coach Cal strategy at Arkansas
Yes, my assumption is that some coaches would send out offers they otherwise would have loved to have made but couldn't do before because of the prior limit.

Ya know, like Painter. I didn't say every single coach at every single school. I said more than a rough dozen out of 300+.

And Calipari has his own strategy about a lot of things.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Yes, my assumption is that some coaches would send out offers they otherwise would have loved to have made but couldn't do before because of the prior limit.

Ya know, like Painter. I didn't say every single coach at every single school. I said more than a rough dozen out of 300+.

And Calipari has his own strategy about a lot of things.
I think painter is very well connected as far as the goings on and rules set up and changes. I believe on board of directors for National Association of Basketball Coaches . I believe he felt he knew something was coming.. jmo

I think painter is very well connected as far as the goings on and rules set up and changes. I believe on board of directors for National Association of Basketball Coaches . I believe he felt he knew something was coming.. jmo
I think that’s a great hunch. Also, other coaches probably didn’t, but just employed a different strategy. Painter didn’t play the portal this year due to over signing and is trying a different route by building through his program instead of building a whole new starting 5 through the portal (not sure which strategy will work better in the long run).

Reactions: Do Dah Day
It's national news. We're talking about it on message boards and reporters have been following it.

I'm sorry but I don't buy that Painter or anyone else had secret, advance knowledge of this.

I think, like most seasons, a handful of teams had an off-season oversign situation. They were going to use one of the various prior methods of resolving that. Now, they don't have to.

Painter is using it to make more offers. It may be that plenty of other coaches are making more offers, we just aren't tracking it because they aren't technically in an oversign situation.

Reactions: Schnelk
One scenario is that most coaches felt they didn't need more than 13. Another scenario is that all coaches had heard the change was being considered, but most weren't going to risk oversigning in case the change was not accepted.

Painter said from the beginning that he had a plan. I don't have any reason to think he was being dishonest. This was a possible change that I and others suggested early on. And in the end, it appears to be the solution to the problem.

One scenario is that most coaches felt they didn't need more than 13. Another scenario is that all coaches had heard the change was being considered, but most weren't going to risk oversigning in case the change was not accepted.

Painter said from the beginning that he had a plan. I don't have any reason to think he was being dishonest. This was a possible change that I and others suggested early on. And in the end, it appears to be the solution to the problem.
Yeah he said he had a plan, doesn't mean it was this.

I find unlikely that everyone else was cautious because it might not happen but Painter lept almost a year prior.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT