ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Purdue-Nebraska game thread

Stacy_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2004
Hey, guys. Here in Lincoln, and Purdue's just starting warmups by doing something I haven't noticed before: Working the QBs exclusively with the WRs and no one else is out on the field. The QBs usually throw balls before the game, obviously, but I hadn't noticed it done like this before. May be a tweak.

The biggest deal for today is Jake Replogle is out again (mentioned that in a separate thread earlier), and Brandon Roberts and David Rose also didn't make the trip.

So a quick look at the travel roster shows only seven cornerbacks/nickelbacks here. They include: Hunte, Little, Hayes, Cason, Blackmon, Shuman and Race Johnson. Blackmon and Johnson are walk-ons, Hayes and Shuman are true freshmen and Little is a redshirt freshman who's never played. So I'd expect starters Hunte and Cason to get the bulk of the reps and Blackmon to get all the nickel reps. But we'll see.

In terms of the D-line on the travel roster: There's no Keiwan Jones, who was one of the few subs used in the middle last week. Apparently, the only interior options in reserve today are Watts (who hasn't played in a game yet) and Criddle. Robinson, Panfil and Larkin have been the only ends playing much, but Miles, Henley, Simmons and DeBusk are here.

Ja'Whaun Bentley is here, apparently, per the travel roster but haven't seen him on the field yet. Considering he was allowed to speak with us this week, I'm assuming he'll play today after missing two games with an ankle injury.

Another guy of note on the travel roster: D.J. Knox. To the best of my knowledge, I think this is the only road trip he's made this year. Interesting.

Was told that Gerad Parker's speech — before the team even got to the stadium — had guys crying, it was so emotional. Think the team is really fired up under Parker. Will it mean anything? We'll soon find out.

I'm obviously interested to see what's different offensively and defensively. Would suspect Purdue will try to blitz more — but you'd think they'd have to change their coverage behind that, too. Perhaps the offense will have some tempo, which we haven't really seen this year except in two-minute-type situations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News