ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Purdue-Minnesota game thread

Stacy_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2004
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. — I'm at the stadium two-plus hours early. I should wear more sensible shoes so I can walk around a bit before games on the road. Beautiful day here in Minneapolis, in the 60s and sunny. I love this stadium and its location. They keep building up more stuff around it, too. There are bunch of restaurants right here — Williams Arena and the hockey arena is kitty-corner to it, too — and there's a tram system right here. Super convenient if you're traveling from in town. The stadium is the perfect size and look for this kind of program (and Purdue's, too). (It also has DQ ice cream.)

Couple things of note. I've been told Jake Replogle made the trip, though I haven't seen him yet. I don't think the team has even arrived, so I'll update this once that happens. Not sure if Replogle will play but the fact he's even here is a big deal — and would seem to show signs of significant process from that non-specific head injury. I'm not sure one guy makes Purdue a run-stopping team — hasn't yet, obviously — but having a team's best player back certainly doesn't hurt. And maybe it'll mean Panfil won't have to play every snap at tackle this week. I'm not entirely sure what kind of run game Minnesota prefers, but I'm assuming it's mostly a power scheme, so Purdue's front (and I'm guessing it'll be a "true" front seven today sted of mostly nickel) will need to fill gaps and those LBs will have to not get caught up by those pulling linemen.

Will be interesting to see what kind of offensive approach Purdue employs. I'm not a huge fan of the Wildcat, but I'd assume it shows up today at least a couple of snaps. I'd love for Blough to take more shots down the field than he has the last couple weeks because I think it just opens up the underneath that much more, and especially if Minnesota's CBs are going to try to play press man on the outside, I'd like Yancey to get a couple looks deep. I wouldn't be surprised to see Purdue mix in more tempo this week like it did a bit last week, mostly to get the run game going. Quick snaps without the line potentially being set could help Purdue's O-line get a push, and Markell Jones looked more like himself last week than he had since the shoulder injury. Who will be No. 2, though, with Worship out? If Purdue is going to insist on passing mostly (and I'm not saying that's wrong), I'd prefer to have David Yancey out there because he's probably the best guy in terms of pass pro and as a receiving option. I wouldn't give him any carries — let Lankford do that — but he could spell Jones when Purdue's going to pass it. I would hope it's Lankford ahead of Fuller, who I haven't been particularly impressed with this season. (Including in practice when it was still open for us to watch.)

OK, will have much more from Minneapolis once Purdue arrives and starts warming up. Will Tim Cason be here? Myles Norwood? Are Eddy Wilson and Lorenzo Neal good? Cameron Cermin? All pretty important guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News