ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue lands in-state linebacker

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
COMMIT ALERT: Purdue nets commitment from Homestead (Ind.) outside linebacker Sam Steward.

Steward racked up 94 total tackles, including 16 tackles for loss and 11 sacks last season.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say he's a lock to play the Sam position.

Thank you, thank YEEEEEEW, I'll be here all week!

Oof 2-star talent. Hazell type recruits. Worst class in the Big ~20 as of right now. Wasn't high on the coaching hire in the first place. Feeling much less optimistic now. Hoping for a good season to turn the recruiting around, but with a tough schedule, I think we're looking at another 4-5 wins at best. That probably won't move the recruiting needle.

Thank you, thank YEEEEEEW, I'll be here all week!
letter-kenny-yew.png

Oof 2-star talent. Hazell type recruits. Worst class in the Big ~20 as of right now. Wasn't high on the coaching hire in the first place. Feeling much less optimistic now. Hoping for a good season to turn the recruiting around, but with a tough schedule, I think we're looking at another 4-5 wins at best. That probably won't move the recruiting needle.
Eh, it’s the first two star recruit and you don’t know that he won’t be bumped up.

Recruiting is also cash based to an extent. Give any athletic department a couple million extra bucks and they can improve the class. Even your Hoosiers.

The schedule is something Purdue does to itself. No coach, be it brohm, Walters or the next guy can be held responsible for the AD failing to recognize that with the new big ten, you could have ditched Oregon state and/or ND and still had a tougher schedule than a lot of Joe tillers schedule. A team that goes 4-8 this coming year wouldn’t likely be 6-6 in 1998.

You can’t look at a class with 8 guys rated 5.6 or higher and tell that the influx of legalized payoffs may have something to do with that?

Point being, I agree in retrospect with those who say Walters needs to show massive improvement from some of what we saw last year. If Purdue does go 4-8, his seat should be hot next year regardless, but it better be a 4-8 where losses to schools other than ND, Penn state, Ohio state and Oregon are much closer and the entire feel of the team is much more solidified. Harrell is already on the hot seat to me. I was wrong and others who pointed this out (yes you @pboiler18 ) were right.

But all the things you are talking about.. recruiting difficulties at Purdue on a relative basis and delusional scheduling, are going to be big big problems the day Walters is terminated or quits. Who do you think is coming here to have a meager war chest while also facing schedules made by people who think Purdue is Georgia?

Eh, it’s the first two star recruit and you don’t know that he won’t be bumped up.

Recruiting is also cash based to an extent. Give any athletic department a couple million extra bucks and they can improve the class. Even your Hoosiers.

The schedule is something Purdue does to itself. No coach, be it brohm, Walters or the next guy can be held responsible for the AD failing to recognize that with the new big ten, you could have ditched Oregon state and/or ND and still had a tougher schedule than a lot of Joe tillers schedule. A team that goes 4-8 this coming year wouldn’t likely be 6-6 in 1998.

You can’t look at a class with 8 guys rated 5.6 or higher and tell that the influx of legalized payoffs may have something to do with that?

Point being, I agree in retrospect with those who say Walters needs to show massive improvement from some of what we saw last year. If Purdue does go 4-8, his seat should be hot next year regardless, but it better be a 4-8 where losses to schools other than ND, Penn state, Ohio state and Oregon are much closer and the entire feel of the team is much more solidified. Harrell is already on the hot seat to me. I was wrong and others who pointed this out (yes you @pboiler18 ) were right.

But all the things you are talking about.. recruiting difficulties at Purdue on a relative basis and delusional scheduling, are going to be big big problems the day Walters is terminated or quits. Who do you think is coming here to have a meager war chest while also facing schedules made by people who think Purdue is Georgia?
Hey have you had Flo and Santos pizza? It’s near Soldier Field. Went there a few weeks ago, so good.

What? Walter’s is consistently out recruiting Brohm. Rankings are dumb because Purdue has a smaller class. Idk how solid recruiting makes you feel less optimistic.

I don’t think Harrells seat is hot at all right now. He showed quite a bit of improvement offensively as the year went on with not a ton.

Hasn't recruiting now become second fiddle to the Portal? You can recruit good players, redshirt 'em, get 'em ready for Division I football and then after a year or two they jump into the portal looking for more NIL, more playing time, higher profile program, whatever. I hope Purdue recruits well in the future but nowadays the best way to bring in talent and depth is to work the portal and pony up the NIL.

Hey have you had Flo and Santos pizza? It’s near Soldier Field. Went there a few weeks ago, so good.
Not yet. I’ve heard good things. I may head to Louisville soon. Any recs before I cross the border? Any classic old Indiana spots in your neck of the woods along the lines of workingman’s friend

Reactions: Tommaker
What? Walter’s is consistently out recruiting Brohm. Rankings are dumb because Purdue has a smaller class. Idk how solid recruiting makes you feel less optimistic.
Via the portal, sure. For first run type guys from high school…meh. Not by a ton.

This team will be more talented than any in the past. With the portal though…other teams will think they have the guys too. It’s simply quicker to plug holes with better guys than it was when Brohm was here. Yes, the portal existed but it was far more restricted than it is now. It’s just a few years later but that comparison is truly apples to oranges now.

Brohms done fine at Louisville in the portal. That suggests to me hed have continued to do fine here as well. I think most teams generally do well in the portal. It’s how you plug those guys in that matters. Success is not assured and if we continue to scheme poorly and not adjust we might have better players but will still be running schemes that are easily exploited.

The point to me is that I want Walters to do well. What @BCfanatic2020 was starting to say…if we let go Walters….all hell will break loose. Kids will leave in droves and the new coach will have to start from scratch. Couple that with the fact we’d likely have to hire a unproven coordinator for HC the $4-6mil range…there’s a lot riding on this coach figuring it out.

I hope he does because the alternative is a lot uglier than it was last year. That’s where my frustration lies…we don’t have years and years and years to wait for this coach to figure it out.

Via the portal, sure. For first run type guys from high school…meh. Not by a ton.

This team will be more talented than any in the past. With the portal though…other teams will think they have the guys too. It’s simply quicker to plug holes with better guys than it was when Brohm was here. Yes, the portal existed but it was far more restricted than it is now. It’s just a few years later but that comparison is truly apples to oranges now.

Brohms done fine at Louisville in the portal. That suggests to me hed have continued to do fine here as well. I think most teams generally do well in the portal. It’s how you plug those guys in that matters. Success is not assured and if we continue to scheme poorly and not adjust we might have better players but will still be running schemes that are easily exploited.

The point to me is that I want Walters to do well. What @BCfanatic2020 was starting to say…if we let go Walters….all hell will break loose. Kids will leave in droves and the new coach will have to start from scratch. Couple that with the fact we’d likely have to hire a unproven coordinator for HC the $4-6mil range…there’s a lot riding on this coach figuring it out.

I hope he does because the alternative is a lot uglier than it was last year. That’s where my frustration lies…we don’t have years and years and years to wait for this coach to figure it out.
Not really. I think kids will always leave if a coach leaves unless you have a big time hire who gets them to stay and more likely brings in better kids.

More so, if Walters doesn’t work out and there is even a mild perception that it’s because Purdue (or any school) is always at the bottom looking up schedule wise, while also having little resources/below average resources for said coach to work with, I don’t know who you’re going to get. Would Jeff brohm circa 2017 come here in 2026 ir he looks in the mirror and knows he’s a good coach .. if his agent says “hey you play a schedule that would be tough if you’re Georgia but you have bottom of the power conference NIL money.” I don’t think So.

I think you can be okay with mediocre NiL money. But you better schedule 3 patsies preseason. I think you can schedule really tough if you’re flush with cash. If you have meh NIL and schedule like you’re a national power; you need your coach to be better than not bad. You’d need your coach to be excellent

Reactions: z_one
I think to some it’s hot and at the very least I’d like to see him show a good amount of improvement
Sure, but he showed a good amount last year as well, with less talent. And historically, his offenses take a jump in year two. Pboiler won’t admit improvement. He’s stuck on “he ran up the middle to much in the first few games”

Brohm’s recruiting was falling off fast at Purdue. Also not sure Brohms portal recruiting would have remained the same at Purdue. Brohm was working with less than a mil in NIL at Purdue. Walter’s inherited that and has fundraised like hell to get to 5 or 6 mil. Walter’s is doing that. Brohm didn’t. He let the program fall off in recruiting.

Reactions: z_one and rjmpu82
We
I don’t think Harrells seat is hot at all right now. He showed quite a bit of improvement offensively as the year went on with not a ton.
We all know that someone else's head will roll before CRW's. Any coach initially under pressure gets to make a change on his staff before they get the axe....
It's year two, let's let it play out...

We

We all know that someone else's head will roll before CRW's. Any coach initially under pressure gets to make a change on his staff before they get the axe....
It's year two, let's let it play out...
Well ya. If Walter’s struggles, changes will be made. My guess is it will be the special teams coach before Harrell, unless the offense doesn’t average 28-30. He ran a top 5 offense in PPG last year though. 28-30 is a realistic number.

Special teams coach struggled last year. Has his guys now. Does it get better? That’s my concern more than the offense.

Sure, but he showed a good amount last year as well, with less talent. And historically, his offenses take a jump in year two. Pboiler won’t admit improvement. He’s stuck on “he ran up the middle to much in the first few games”
We agree

I think to some it’s hot and at the very least I’d like to see him show a good amount of improvement
Harrell learned from maybe the best offensive mind in the game. I'm excited to see what he can accomplish with a healthy roster and one that has had time to learn his system. Leach could win anywhere. We will see how much his protege learned from him now that he's had time to establish himself.

Harrell learned from maybe the best offensive mind in the game. I'm excited to see what he can accomplish with a healthy roster and one that has had time to learn his system. Leach could win anywhere. We will see how much his protege learned from him now that he's had time to establish himself.
We might. They don’t exactly run the same systems though. They do, but they don’t.

He was taught, but did he learn....Year two....

He was taught, but did he learn....Year two....
Did he learn Leaches system? Clearly not. Because he runs the ball way more. Much more balanced offense. Harrell’s offense was the least of issues last season. Tell me if I’m wrong. Kicking and defensive secondary was much bigger issues because Harrell was able to find production with a badly hurt QB and poor OL.

Did he learn Leaches system? Clearly not. Because he runs the ball way more. Much more balanced offense. Harrell’s offense was the least of issues last season. Tell me if I’m wrong. Kicking and defensive secondary was much bigger issues because Harrell was able to find production with a badly hurt QB and poor OL.
Amen!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT