ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue, iu, UK, Lville

Why not? Cal ain’t there no more.
I don't think that changes their interest. The point of those matchups are the massive national brands and championships the other schools have. Purdue, Cincy, Xavier don't carry that kind of weight for the Kentucky brand. Cal may not be there, but Kentucky is still a Top 3 brand in college basketball and the best program of all time.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I don't think that changes their interest. The point of those matchups are the massive national brands and championships the other schools have. Purdue, Cincy, Xavier don't carry that kind of weight for the Kentucky brand. Cal may not be there, but Kentucky is still a Top 3 brand in college basketball and the best program of all time.
Of course, I was just messin around. You can do that sometimes too, ya know!

Reactions: Do Dah Day
When I was young I think there was an event that paired up IU and Kentucky, then Louisville and Notre Dame every year in a doubleheader. It either alternated between Indy and Louisville or was always in Indy. Big 4 Classic maybe?

There wouldn't be a comparable event anywhere in the country that would put 4 nationally prominent (I say that in respect to the iu name only, not their on court success) teams that are in close geographic proximity in a single, same day event.
Sell it as an Indiana/Kentucky border war or something to that effect. It would draw big TV ratings and high priced tickets.

There wouldn't be a comparable event anywhere in the country that would put 4 nationally prominent (I say that in respect to the iu name only, not their on court success) teams that are in close geographic proximity in a single, same day event.
Sell it as an Indiana/Kentucky border war or something to that effect. It would draw big TV ratings and high priced tickets.
Why would Kentucky give up playing in events with Duke, Michigan State, Kansas, UNC, UCLA, Ohio State for Indiana(who they will be playing again next year), Louisville and Purdue? Indiana has made that mistake once. Indiana chose the Crossroads Classic and was replaced by Ohio State(where they would have played Kentucky, UCLA, UNC instead of Butler, Notre Dame). There isn't much of a desire from fans to play Louisville. Especially when they can just be scheduled on a home and home basis. I think even Purdue is growing out of wanting to do small regional events like that. I mean the Crossroads, which Indiana dominated, was really only a positive for Butler and Notre Dame. Especially Butler.

Why would Kentucky give up playing in events with Duke, Michigan State, Kansas, UNC, UCLA, Ohio State for Indiana(who they will be playing again next year), Louisville and Purdue? Indiana has made that mistake once. Indiana chose the Crossroads Classic and was replaced by Ohio State(where they would have played Kentucky, UCLA, UNC instead of Butler, Notre Dame). There isn't much of a desire from fans to play Louisville. Especially when they can just be scheduled on a home and home basis. I think even Purdue is growing out of wanting to do small regional events like that. I mean the Crossroads, which Indiana dominated, was really only a positive for Butler and Notre Dame. Especially Butler.
Why do you say they have to give up playing them? Why not add it to the schedule?

When I was young I think there was an event that paired up IU and Kentucky, then Louisville and Notre Dame every year in a doubleheader. It either alternated between Indy and Louisville or was always in Indy. Big 4 Classic maybe?

Yes - Big Four Classic was in Indianapolis (at the old Hoosier Dome) and coincidentally had four versions '87-'90.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Why do you say they have to give up playing them? Why not add it to the schedule?
For Kentucky? I'm assuming they are locked in with keeping those two events for a while. They also are locked up in the SEC/ACC ESPN knob slob event. Next year they'll have Indiana back on the schedule and they already play Louisville every year anyways.

This wouldn't be a small regional event. This would be the biggest colllege bball event on any preseason schedule. Outside of the midwest, Butler and ND aren't much of a draw for fans.
Again, like the Crossroads, you rotate every year (PU vs UL, PU v UK, etc).

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
This wouldn't be a small regional event. This would be the biggest colllege bball event on any preseason schedule. Outside of the midwest, Butler and ND aren't much of a draw for fans.
Again, like the Crossroads, you rotate every year (PU vs UL, PU v UK, etc).
The biggest? No. Not when there are two other events that are UK, Duke, Kansas, MSU and UK, tOSU, UNC and UCLA. UK, IU, PU, UL wouldn't top those. Especially the first one.

The biggest? No. Not when there are two other events that are UK, Duke, Kansas, MSU and UK, tOSU, UNC and UCLA. UK, IU, PU, UL wouldn't top those. Especially the first one.
You're missing the point: PU, iu, UK and UL are all within close proximity. Obviously there would be strong regional interest but it would have wide national appeal as well. It's an event that would easily sell out and get primetime TV coverage. Regional recruiting implications as well.

You're missing the point: PU, iu, UK and UL are all within close proximity. Obviously there would be strong regional interest but it would have wide national appeal as well. It's an event that would easily sell out and get primetime TV coverage. Regional recruiting implications as well.
Sure it would have massive national interest but not for the reasons you think. Louisville is an interesting one. Because they spent quite a long time as the #1 revenue maker in mens cbb after the Gum! Center was built. Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana, UNC have always followed behind. But Louisville isn't the national brand that UK and IU are. Louisville is a very heavy local brand because it's in a big city and is treated like a pro team for Louisville. The Champions Classic on the other hand features Kentucky, Duke, Kansas and MSU. 3 of them are Top 5 brands in the nation. UK, IU, UpfL, PU could put up numbers without any doubt, but it'd still be a local dominance. It wouldn't be the national hyped event you think it would be. It'd get treated more like the UK, UNC, tOSu, UCLA event. It's just kinda there.

Sure it would have massive national interest but not for the reasons you think. Louisville is an interesting one. Because they spent quite a long time as the #1 revenue maker in mens cbb after the Gum! Center was built. Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana, UNC have always followed behind. But Louisville isn't the national brand that UK and IU are. Louisville is a very heavy local brand because it's in a big city and is treated like a pro team for Louisville. The Champions Classic on the other hand features Kentucky, Duke, Kansas and MSU. 3 of them are Top 5 brands in the nation. UK, IU, UpfL, PU could put up numbers without any doubt, but it'd still be a local dominance. It wouldn't be the national hyped event you think it would be. It'd get treated more like the UK, UNC, tOSu, UCLA event. It's just kinda there.
Argue Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Last edited:
I like the idea of some state vs state matchup.
PU, iu vs UNC, Duke
PU, iu vs FL, FSU
PU, iu vs UT, Tex A&M

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT