ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue extends Versyp to 2022 ...

KODK

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Not sure I understand Purdue calling this a "six-year extension" but regardless it signed Versyp through 2022.

Link: Contract

Well that certainly finalizes this matter. There is no sense moaning any more. Burke decided to do this as a lame duck AD. I am not sure a new AD will be happy with Burke virtually taking the ability for the new AD to evaluate completely off the table unless the Boiler women plummet several years in a row. Not sure what motivated Burke to do this, but I don't think it was wise given the angst in the fan base. But Burke has shown he will do whatever he wants and that is why our FB program is beyond a dumpster fire.
I am not as upset at retaining Versyp as many on this board are. She had a decent season and has promising talent coming in. But, it is true, for those who wish a return to national glory, probably a long shot at best. And I think it is a long shot because the talent level is just not there and a few teams gobble them up as the concentration of the MCDonald's All-Americans demonstrated once again. Yes doubling the coaching salary and getting White might have shot us up there, but I am not sure White would have jumped over Versyp and I don't think Purdue wanted to fire a coach who had just been to the NCAA and had a decent season. Anyway, despite my ramblings, it is a done deal, although I expected them to wait for the new AD.

Ya, I'm no program insider, but I just don't know why a lame duck AD does this. I know Versyp has to be able to tell recruits she's here for the long haul, but Burke is really tying the hands of the new leadership. I agree that Versyp looks a lot like Gene Keady 2.0, which isn't the worst thing in the world. But I don't see her taking the program back to where it was in the 90s and 00s.

Reactions: nagemj02
While I'm not among those that felt they should replace her, I don't see the need for such a lengthy extension either. Last season was a nice rebound season that is hopefully a step towards getting us back to where we need to be but it is also just one season removed from one of the worst in program history. You would think that a lame duck AD would leave that alone and let the new AD make decisions there.

I'd also question what type of buyouts are involved here. Perhaps there are very low level barriers for either side to break the contract which would render this pretty much an extension for the purposes of recruiting. That would make a bit more sense.

While I'm not among those that felt they should replace her, I don't see the need for such a lengthy extension either. Last season was a nice rebound season that is hopefully a step towards getting us back to where we need to be but it is also just one season removed from one of the worst in program history. You would think that a lame duck AD would leave that alone and let the new AD make decisions there.

I'd also question what type of buyouts are involved here. Perhaps there are very low level barriers for either side to break the contract which would render this pretty much an extension for the purposes of recruiting. That would make a bit more sense.

I read that upon Morgan's departure, CSV's buyout goes from 24 months to 12 months. That would indicate the extension is more about recruiting PR.

Tc4Three--You show some sanity. I too sometimes want Purdue to spend big bucks and get a big name coach to return us to glory. But schools just do not fire coaches like Versyp when she is not losing a lot just to gamble on what may not even be able to happen. White is not guaranteed the few big time recruits that are rare so she could compete nationally. She is a Purdue star with a ring from over a decade ago and has not coached one minute in college. And I don't know of a whole lot of coaches who would even consider jumping to Purdue who have the credentials to upgrad us that high that fast. Unless we can entice Geno!

Tc4Three--You show some sanity. I too sometimes want Purdue to spend big bucks and get a big name coach to return us to glory. But schools just do not fire coaches like Versyp when she is not losing a lot just to gamble on what may not even be able to happen. White is not guaranteed the few big time recruits that are rare so she could compete nationally. She is a Purdue star with a ring from over a decade ago and has not coached one minute in college. And I don't know of a whole lot of coaches who would even consider jumping to Purdue who have the credentials to upgrad us that high that fast. Unless we can entice Geno!

Please be reminded that SV has the sixth best winning percentage of all the Purdue women's basketball coaches in school history. Only the original coach Ruth Jones had a worst winning percentage than Versyp.

Des, I am sure a lot of fans would like this program to return to its glory days, but it is not going to happen anytime soon due to what I said above whether we like it or not.

Des, I am sure a lot of fans would like this program to return to its glory days, but it is not going to happen anytime soon due to what I said above whether we like it or not.

A school with an athletic director who recognizes his school has everything it takes to be a national powerhouse and who aspires to be nationally recognized program will make a change when it becomes apparent the existing coach has been given sufficient time to be successful and has demonstrated an inability to recruit and coach at the level necessary to compete at the highest levels of WBB.

Reactions: nagemj02
Balcomb's last three SEC seasons:
201502016 5-11
2014-2015 5-11
2013-2014 7-9

A school with an athletic director who recognizes his school has everything it takes to be a national powerhouse and who aspires to be nationally recognized program will make a change when it becomes apparent the existing coach has been given sufficient time to be successful and has demonstrated an inability to recruit and coach at the level necessary to compete at the highest levels of WBB.
And how long should "sufficient time" be? Isn't 10 years long enough? Look at the 10 years prior to CSV and the 10 years since. Not trending towards another NC, IMO.

Indeed. Pretty pathetic when their goal has dwindled to reaching top 1/2 of the conference.

Please be reminded that SV has the sixth best winning percentage of all the Purdue women's basketball coaches in school history. Only the original coach Ruth Jones had a worst winning percentage than Versyp.
Des-Our first season of 16 games(we were 8 and 8) and the coach was Debbie Gebhardt(sp)-then Ruth Jones took over.A question was Amy Ruley ever considered at any time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT