ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Drops Regular Season Finale Against Minnesota

I swear, there are times when being a Purdue fan is just a kick in the pants.

January 2 was the queen mother of them all, but this weekend really sucked, too.

Purdue women's basketball drops regular season finale with a 77-69 defeat to Minnesota. Boiler Upload's game recap is brought to you by Reindeer Shuttle

So disappointing. I certainly hope we defeat Wisconsin on this coming Thursday or we may be NIT bound once again.

I swear, there are times when being a Purdue fan is just a kick in the pants.

January 2 was the queen mother of them all, but this weekend really sucked, too.
Yep. And today it occurred to me that IU owns the regular season sweep of both bball teams this year. Depressing. Disappointing. Frustrating. Hard on a body to be a Boiler fan sometimes. This is one of those times. 🙁

So disappointing. I certainly hope we defeat Wisconsin on this coming Thursday or we may be NIT bound once again.
Whether we win or not against UWisc, we may be WNIT bound... Our NET rating was 42, an 11 seed barely in the tournament going strictly by that system. RPI was 44. Both will definitely drop with this loss to UMinn who is around 100 in both ratings. Whether we get in or not may well depend on how the conference tournaments go, by NET ratings, there are a handfull of mid majors that are rated higher than us and may get an at large bid if they get upset in their tournament. The Big Ten's NCAA tournament fourtunes took a hit today with IU osing to Iowa, possibly losing a #1 seed, UMich losing to UWisc, likely moving them down a seed, and us dropping this game to UMinn possibly costing us a berth altogether. Nebraska has a better NET rating than we do, but got screwed on the BT schedule, having 10 games against the top 7 teams versus us only having 8. It will be interesting to see what the NCAA decides about who is in, out, and where they get seeded.

Reactions: DocRon and rgarlitz
I'm not as familiar with the women's bracketing history like I am with the men, but I can't imagine on its face 16-13 Nebraska would be ahead of 18-9 Purdue, even with a slight NET advantage. ESPN's bracketology had Purdue at the top of the last 4 byes list, so 8 spots safe.

Win on Thursday and make it moot. Would be a great step for the program.

I'm not as familiar with the women's bracketing history like I am with the men, but I can't imagine on its face 16-13 Nebraska would be ahead of 18-9 Purdue, even with a slight NET advantage. ESPN's bracketology had Purdue at the top of the last 4 byes list, so 8 spots safe.

Win on Thursday and make it moot. Would be a great step for the program.

Creme isn't bullet proof on his picks, so don't take it too seriously that we were safely in even with a loss to UMinn.

Reactions: DocRon
Whether we win or not against UWisc, we may be WNIT bound... Our NET rating was 42, an 11 seed barely in the tournament going strictly by that system. RPI was 44. Both will definitely drop with this loss to UMinn who is around 100 in both ratings. Whether we get in or not may well depend on how the conference tournaments go, by NET ratings, there are a handfull of mid majors that are rated higher than us and may get an at large bid if they get upset in their tournament. The Big Ten's NCAA tournament fourtunes took a hit today with IU osing to Iowa, possibly losing a #1 seed, UMich losing to UWisc, likely moving them down a seed, and us dropping this game to UMinn possibly costing us a berth altogether. Nebraska has a better NET rating than we do, but got screwed on the BT schedule, having 10 games against the top 7 teams versus us only having 8. It will be interesting to see what the NCAA decides about who is in, out, and where they get seeded.
It was a tough break losing that home game against MSU. They'll just have to fight their way back in at the B1G Tournament.

Purdue will make the tournament, a win against Wisky would help but guessing they’re in no matter what happens.

Purdue will make the tournament, a win against Wisky would help but guessing they’re in no matter what happens.
Depends on the committee. If we get a committee that favors the power conferences, we are likely in. If we get one that favors NET ratings or giving more bid to small conferences, we are definitely on the bubble. A loss to UWisc will have us out regardless after losing to UMinn IMO. Ending the year on two bad losses with only 19 wins and a near .500 conference record ain't be enough to earn a bid, again mho

Last edited:
Depends on the committee. If we get a committee that favors the power conferences, we are likely in. If we get one that favors NET ratings or giving more bid to small conferences, we are definitely on the bubble. A loss to UWisc will have us out regardless after losing to UMinn IMO. Ending the year on two bad losses with only 19 wins and a near .500 conference record ain't be enough to earn a bid, again mho
I think they’ll pick a power 5 school with Purdue’s name. I could be wrong but my educated guess is they make it.

Michael, you have knowledge, I respect that. It looks like Ellis, Harper, and Terry are returning, they’ll likely join Smith and Layden in the opening night lineup next year, probably a 20 win team but in my opinion they need a stud player. Wouldn’t you agree that Coach needs to hit the portal and try to get a scorer? They’ll be those out there, I hope Katie attempts to get one.

Reactions: MichaelRR
I think they’ll pick a power 5 school with Purdue’s name. I could be wrong but my educated guess is they make it.
Our "name" carries no value anymore after 15 years of mediocrity under Versyp. Columbia and Princeton from the Ivy league both have much higher NET and RPI ratings than Purdue. We are now at 47 NET rating, 49 RPI and frankly not much positive to push us past all the teams ahead of us on those ratings other than conference affiliation. Creme loves the big conferences and the ESPN poll, that is why his predictions are so frequently whacky. We will see, first we have to take care of business with UWisc, otherwise I think its a slam dunk we are out.

Michael, you have knowledge, I respect that. It looks like Ellis, Harper, and Terry are returning, they’ll likely join Smith and Layden in the opening night lineup next year, probably a 20 win team but in my opinion they need a stud player. Wouldn’t you agree that Coach needs to hit the portal and try to get a scorer? They’ll be those out there, I hope Katie attempts to get one.
I think if KG does that, we end up again with younger players not getting PT and we just become a revolving door of transfers in and out. Right now the portal is like a crack pipe, giving us just enough to be on the edge of the tournament at the expense of not developing our recruited talent. So we hit the pipe again for that short term feel good, but it just keeps kicking the can down the road of developing the talent we bring in as freshmen. I do not see much improvement over last year from much of anyone on this years team, and that DEEPLY concerns me. IMO we NEED a center more than anything, Harper should be playing PF as she gets chewed up against any quality P5 post. It also depends on who else leaves. It would not surprise me at all for either or both Learn and Potts to transfer out. I trust your intel on Stoddard that she is back for at least one more year, but if she again doesn't see the floor but a couple minutes a night, how long does she stay happy?

This is a hard team to predict. We look in the clouds for the first half then blow them out in the 3rd quarter, only to revert back to the first half in the 4th quarter. After the 3rd quarter I thought we would win by 10. Geez. We are not good enough to play good for 1/2 or less of the game and win. When we have put it together and play at least a B+ full game, we are hard to beat, but maybe that is unreasonable to wish for, game in and out. They have impressed me at times though. Again, an odd team to predict.

Go Boilers!

I think if KG does that, we end up again with younger players not getting PT and we just become a revolving door of transfers in and out. Right now the portal is like a crack pipe, giving us just enough to be on the edge of the tournament at the expense of not developing our recruited talent. So we hit the pipe again for that short term feel good, but it just keeps kicking the can down the road of developing the talent we bring in as freshmen. I do not see much improvement over last year from much of anyone on this years team, and that DEEPLY concerns me. IMO we NEED a center more than anything, Harper should be playing PF as she gets chewed up against any quality P5 post. It also depends on who else leaves. It would not surprise me at all for either or both Learn and Potts to transfer out. I trust your intel on Stoddard that she is back for at least one more year, but if she again doesn't see the floor but a couple minutes a night, how long does she stay happy?
She’s a smart kid who seemingly loves Purdue, having said that, guessing if she doesn’t get time next year she likely goes elsewhere, not sure though.

This is a hard team to predict. We look in the clouds for the first half then blow them out in the 3rd quarter, only to revert back to the first half in the 4th quarter. After the 3rd quarter I thought we would win by 10. Geez. We are not good enough to play good for 1/2 or less of the game and win. When we have put it together and play at least a B+ full game, we are hard to beat, but maybe that is unreasonable to wish for, game in and out. They have impressed me at times though. Again, an odd team to predict.

Go Boilers!
The UIll game was unexpected, but the OSU win was while they had 2 starters out hurt off a turn that only plays 6 players reliably, and while they were in the midst of a streak where they lost 5 of 7 and barely beat two bottom teams in the conference. The OSU team we beat would not have finished in the top half of the conference, but were still better than PSU and UMinn who both beat us on their floors.

I think it may be telling that even some of our own fans fear the third qtr when we put together a good first half as other teams adjust during half time and we pretty consistently fail to make good halftime adjustments.

Also, I watched IU, they have at least 2 maybe 3 transfers that are really good, it sucks for the High School recruits but that’s the way it goes these days. I’m sorry, if getting a good transfer means losing a Potts or a Learn so be it, the goal is to win, this team as construed needs a star player. I’m not sure one can be gotten in the portal, but I know this, Katie should try if they’re out there!

Yep. And today it occurred to me that IU owns the regular season sweep of both bball teams this year. Depressing. Disappointing. Frustrating. Hard on a body to be a Boiler fan sometimes. This is one of those times. 🙁
First time that's happened since 1983. I could probably look up, but I'm guessing there's a good chance Purdue has done it. Our women's program absolutely owned Indiana for a quarter century. I'm sure they've had a lot of sweeps. The Purdue men had to have a few in there, as well.

Also, I watched IU, they have at least 2 maybe 3 transfers that are really good, it sucks for the High School recruits but that’s the way it goes these days. I’m sorry, if getting a good transfer means losing a Potts or a Learn so be it, the goal is to win, this team as construed needs a star player. I’m not sure one can be gotten in the portal, but I know this, Katie should try if they’re out there!
I think IU only has two. But, there are only a handful of instant impact trans each year, play year two went to SCar and one went to IU. We tried to get Parrish but we were not anywhere on her radar. Those players want to go to a FF or get a title, not help a bubble team get in and bow out the first weekend. Additionally, Petree can score a lot of points, but I'm not convinced she or Harper made this a better team than last year.

They have been hard to listen to and watch on TV at times. Then I watch a game and become impressed again. I know nothing about the current bench except Potts was highly ranked and only what I read about her prior to coming to Purdue. Coaches are at practice, so I guess I have to trust their judgement. Whoever stays or goes, it still looks like the bench will be pretty young. As an old girls basketball coach, it is hard for me to simply watch as a fan.

Girls BB compared to mens is tough to watch except for the very few top teams in Womans BB. But since the woman play against themselves it is usually fair and enetrtaining unless playing one of the top few teams

Girls BB compared to mens is tough to watch except for the very few top teams in Womans BB. But since the woman play against themselves it is usually fair and enetrtaining unless playing one of the top few teams
I'd rather watch paint dry than the Not Basketball Anymore style of the mens game, where most point guards have more yards per carry than their schools running backs as palming and travelling are rarely called in the mens game anymore. Athleticism trumps all, its all two man game, one on one clear outs, and punking and dunking..... its why schools like IU with money to buy the best athletes will rule over schools like Purdue that favor team play. Its why Purdue's men have virtually no chance of making a FF in my lifetime unless there is a MAJOR paradigm shift in the way the game is called and played. I prefer the women's game where its far more about team ball, playing below the rim where bounce passes are still used and travelling and palming are still violations. Not for everyone, but there are some that only care for women's ball at this point.

I was concerned how much sense Michael was making there for a bit. Agreed Simply put you have to win Thursday v wiscy. Even with that there will be a lot of nail biting come the selection show. Hopeful to not have to do that play in round. There are good wins and not too many bad losses but a NC schedule strength over 100 could be cause for concern.

Portal has to be about the center. Ellis terry and harper will be good pieces. Smith and layden have to be on their last chance to be impact players both have shown they wont be the main options. The others CSV players can stay or go for me.

The way CKG has talked about the incoming freshman makes me think she plans on getting them into the system fast instead of waiting and watching. Thats the group where the development has to start.

I was concerned how much sense Michael was making there for a bit. Agreed Simply put you have to win Thursday v wiscy. Even with that there will be a lot of nail biting come the selection show. Hopeful to not have to do that play in round. There are good wins and not too many bad losses but a NC schedule strength over 100 could be cause for concern.

Portal has to be about the center. Ellis terry and harper will be good pieces. Smith and layden have to be on their last chance to be impact players both have shown they wont be the main options. The others CSV players can stay or go for me.

The way CKG has talked about the incoming freshman makes me think she plans on getting them into the system fast instead of waiting and watching. Thats the group where the development has to start.
CKG heaped all sorts of praise on Potts before the season started as well, so we shall see. Everything else I completely agree with you, not sure the coach does though.

Do you have a link that shows our OOC schedule strength?

I think IU only has two. But, there are only a handful of instant impact trans each year, play year two went to SCar and one went to IU. We tried to get Parrish but we were not anywhere on her radar. Those players want to go to a FF or get a title, not help a bubble team get in and bow out the first weekend. Additionally, Petree can score a lot of points, but I'm not convinced she or Harper made this a better team than last year.
A little better, I actually like Harper’s game more than Petree’s. I agree, it needs to be a top of the line transfer, a girl that wants to be the go to, I realize that probably means no Purdue, however, if the Boilers get in the tourney and maybe win a game maybe that helps?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT