ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Associate Head Coach Beth Couture Retires

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Purdue Women’s Basketball Associate Hear Coach Beth Couture announces her retirement after after seven seasons with the Boilermakers.

This will not be the last staff change this off-season. More announcements should be coming in the next few days.

Reactions: DocRon
Several former boilers in the coaching ranks. Would love her to go after Hicks at Vtech. Kg and her were teammates I believe. Bays is free at G Webb after the coaching change. Here’s a wildcard. Steve Reynolds - head coach at SB Washington and dad to Mila, Amiyah and Kira. Already has a good relationship with KG.

Several former boilers in the coaching ranks. Would love her to go after Hicks at Vtech. Kg and her were teammates I believe. Bays is free at G Webb after the coaching change. Here’s a wildcard. Steve Reynolds - head coach at SB Washington and dad to Mila, Amiyah and Kira. Already has a good relationship with KG.
If they pick someone from the High School ranks. I would rather have 5-Time State Champion Kathie Layden. Mother of Madison and McKenna Layden. She is an amazing coach and program builder. I know it's highly unlikely especially considering Kathie retired from Northwestern after this past season, but I can dream. Lol.

I would prefer someone with no former Purdue ties so that we get some different perspectives, ideas, and experiences.

If they pick someone from the High School ranks. I would rather have 5-Time State Champion Kathie Layden. Mother of Madison and McKenna Layden. She is an amazing coach and program builder. I know it's highly unlikely especially considering Kathie retired from Northwestern after this past season, but I can dream. Lol.
Man, coaching your own kid(s) is fraught with difficulties - don’t you think?

He’s been doing it for like 4-5 years and has had great success
Not saying it can’t be done but coaching on a college team when your kid is just one of a dozen kids who are good is different than coaching a HS team where your kid is one of the standouts.

Looking at Iowa, I think McCaffery coaching his two sons has presented problems.. But, I could be wrong.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Not saying it can’t be done but coaching on a college team when your kid is just one of a dozen kids who are good is different than coaching a HS team where your kid is one of the standouts. But, I could be wrong.

Looking at Iowa, I think McCaffery has had problems with coaching his two sons.

His 3 daughters are all top 40 players.
And I do not want to stoop so low as to hire an unqualified (as a college coach) dad to try and get some standout recruits. That really pushes the envelope on running an ethical program, if not steps well over the line.

Id be shocked if they went the high school route. agree with Michael's similar comments in the past that they need good expertise. Someone who has been at a high level and won. With Scruggs and guytan Still being relatively young they need a veteran.

Id be shocked if they went the high school route. agree with Michael's similar comments in the past that they need good expertise. Someone who has been at a high level and won. With Scruggs and guytan Still being relatively young they need a veteran.

I am betting one of Scruggs and Guyton leaving considering the last line of “not the last change to the staff”. Might be a complete remaking of the staff.

I am betting one of Scruggs and Guyton leaving considering the last line of “not the last change to the staff”. Might be a complete remaking of the staff.
I am beginning to have doubts about some of those predictions as we were also told when Potts left to expect more but so far nothing.

I am beginning to have doubts about some of those predictions as we were also told when Potts left to expect more but so far nothing.
Am I misunderstanding what you are saying... that Potts has entered the portal? Because she is still on the WBB roster and there is nothing on her twitter. I personally hope she stays. Of course she has until May 11 to decide.

Last edited:
Am I misunderstanding what you are saying... that Potts has entered the portal? Because she is still on the WBB roster and there is nothing on her twitter. I personally hope she stays. Of course she has until May 11 to decide.

Thanks. I was off twitter for Lent but not sure how I missed that here. It is still odd that no official announcement has been made and she is still listed on the roster. Stoddard was gone from the roster overnight.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Thanks. I was off twitter for Lent but not sure how I missed that here. It is still odd that no official announcement has been made and she is still listed on the roster. Stoddard was gone from the roster overnight.

The reason Potts is still listed MAY BE that since she has yet to choose another school that the door is still open for her return. But then again we were told to expect more transfers, so I really don't know what to think. We are halfway through the portal opening, three out so far, none in, and perhaps more leaving but nothing known about much of anything at this time.

The reason Potts is still listed MAY BE that since she has yet to choose another school that the door is still open for her return. But then again we were told to expect more transfers, so I really don't know what to think. We are halfway through the portal opening, three out so far, none in, and perhaps more leaving but nothing known about much of anything at this time.
From the looks of it. Shes not on the website anymore.

Potts, Stoddard, who am I missing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT