ADVERTISEMENT

Press conference

Meteoric rise but needs time to get experience as HC in a lower MAC level. Not big ten.

If his recruiting is top notch ill shut up. That's the biggest factor.

Nice-looking family -- I hope that those boys get with the lads who were cheering their hearts out for the basketball team in Portland!

Walters is not short on confidence and he means business. I think he will connect with recruits.

It was amusing that offense was immediately addressed -- the Knuckleheads must have blown up Bobinski's email and office phone.

Last edited:
Things that caught my attention:

"What's the primary thing you look for in a recruit?" "Do they love the game."
Comment from Illini AD: "He's a defensive savant".
Started off life as a QB, and asked to be switched over to the defense as a player.
There is alot there to like. Yeah he is young but he was part of illinois program that turned around a ship. You get the right mix of youth and wise beyond years, things work. Already stopping bleeding of our own players. Knows well we cant just expect to run ball and win. You never know exactly what will happen but i see why they liked him for the hire. One thing i do know is that my bet is we will manage the clock better because the new oc will be calling the plays and the coach can focus on the management of the game

Things that caught my attention:

"What's the primary thing you look for in a recruit?" "Do they love the game."
Comment from Illini AD: "He's a defensive savant".
Started off life as a QB, and asked to be switched over to the defense as a player.
It's what Matt wants...gym rats!

Reactions: Tommaker
"resemblance" ;)
iu

Please don’t mention this observation to Mrs Walters should you bump into her at an JPC event…
doubt that would ever happen. May people resemble someone whether they approve of that person or not. I've had over the years people compare me with three different people I guess those three had some semblance to each for that to happen) and kim has experienced it as well.

doubt that would ever happen. May people resemble someone whether they approve of that person or not. I've had over the years people compare me with three different people I guess those three had some semblance to each for that to happen) and kim has experienced it as well.
Well Mrs Walters is also probably 15 years younger than Guilfoyle…

All he has to do is prove it. My guess, he's going to be questioned a lot this coming season.
Any coach we hired would be. I wanted Garrett Riley, he has no HC experience either. But for us to get a young, innovative coordinator (whether it's on offense or defense) isn't our normal calling card. We've always gone with old guys or retreads. I think his youth is both a blessing and a curse. There's going to be hiccups, but let's not at like Brohm didn't have us questioning his decisions all the time too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT