ADVERTISEMENT

Post language

Oct 30, 2001
I have been a KH since inception and enjoy the various comments others make regarding Purdue athletics. However I feel some of the language used there on is absolutely atrocious. Using foul talk only demonstrates inability to make a statement. My mother used to say that language such as that reveals the intellect of the user. Let’s show Purdue proud and keep it simple and clean.

I have been a KH since inception and enjoy the various comments others make regarding Purdue athletics. However I feel some of the language used there on is absolutely atrocious. Using foul talk only demonstrates inability to make a statement. My mother used to say that language such as that reveals the intellect of the user. Let’s show Purdue proud and keep it simple and clean.
Don’t read it, if you don’t like it. Cast aspersions about those who use it. Make your judgments and smugly tell your friends how you chastised some people for their potty talk. But don’t try to tell others what to do. You sound like an . . . oraface located in the posterior of a mammal. Frankly, if you are offended by sounds and shapes, blame your parents. It’s a choice, and they gave you bad advice.

I would suggest rather than copying others' choice of vulgarity to put those English classes to use and start creating your own original phrases! Rather than saying POTFH try using the word urinate instead!

The statue of the little boy in Copenhagen harbor uses the P word instead of the U word so I am not sure of how bad that one is. Some of the other language could be cleaned up.

Amen

Some people can’t just respect others’ opinions. They have to digress to derogatory responses.

Respectful counter arguments are one thing but the Mods led stuff get out of hand and usually it’s the same few who stoop to character assignation.

Yeah I agree it can be a bit out of bounce at times but I know some wealthy high IQ people who use the most foul language in the universe. Something said for being dumb rich I guess. We all know people like that.

Amen

Some people can’t just respect others’ opinions. They have to digress to derogatory responses.

Respectful counter arguments are one thing but the Mods led stuff get out of hand and usually it’s the same few who stoop to character assignation.

I'm sorry, but, as sophomoric as it might seem, I just couldn't help but chuckle at this .... "autocorrect?"

Especially in light of the point of the thread.

Even funnier is the actual meaning of the word, "assignation" . . .

an appointment for a meeting, especially a lover's secret rendezvous

:D

It's Monday. I needed a chuckle. If you can't find one, manufacture one.

Carry on.

Take a f*cking look at this sh!t:
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...ligence-university-of-rochester-a7916516.html

Maybe we should make a list of the wrong words? I want to be certain I get my message across susinctly and accurately. If I can just know which words to avoid, then I can be happy I've communicated well.

For example, if it's in the bible is it Okay?

How about classic literature?

How about important and famous books?

I am troubled here folks. Maybe some of can help me out.

:cool:

I would suggest rather than copying others' choice of vulgarity to put those English classes to use and start creating your own original phrases! Rather than saying POTFH try using the word urinate instead!
It is YOU with the dirty mind. I know that POTFH stands for Pounce On Those Fighting Hoosiers. It is not my fault you ASSume otherwise.

Reactions: Purdue85
I have no clue why the OP felt the need to post but this innocuous thread has turned into the best of the day

I think both "ass" and "whore" are biblical, but I tend not to use them. However now that I realize that they are biblical, I may color my language a bit more.

I am looking forward to seeing a whore lot of basketball this Tuesday at ass hall. Did I get my meaning across?

It's a free country. Don't like it? Go pray for our souls.

Reactions: cjcollie
I think in public you should speak to people the way you would speak at the Thanksgiving table. So if you would say "Hey Grandma, pass me the MF'ing gravy" then by all means more power to you. Have at it... If not, maybe chill a bit.

I'm having a difficult time with all the Biblical references. What did they really mean by saying Thou shall not commit a dull tree? Is that a reference to the Lord of the Rings Ents? or that they were already into paper recycling? and thou shalt not steal ? I guess somebody should inform Nojel from now on he must borrow the ball or acquire it rather than stealing it. and on the 7th day, God saw all that was good, and decided to rest, because he knew he was playing IU, and his energy was not required to work for a victory.

Don’t read it, if you don’t like it. Cast aspersions about those who use it. Make your judgments and smugly tell your friends how you chastised some people for their potty talk. But don’t try to tell others what to do. You sound like an . . . oraface located in the posterior of a mammal. Frankly, if you are offended by sounds and shapes, blame your parents. It’s a choice, and they gave you bad advice.
I think you read too much into the OPs post. OP stated that some language is atrocious, in their opinion, and then explained why... Said nothing about being offended. I can see where you can assume the OP was being smug, but I don't think that was intended.

On to my opinion: I agree that a public forum that represents Purdue, such as KH (not a member, never have been), shouldn't take on a image as being vulgar. Again, I'm not a member, so I am not suggesting that has happened. It's not uncommon for profanity to be against the rules for most forums, paid or otherwise.

All that being said, I am consistently around vulgarity where I work (all of us are current or retired army pilots), and I contribute my share too. All about time and place and I'd rather not see it associated to Purdue in anyway.

Is it still ok to say “iu sucks”?

Or does that depending on what they’re sucking. Or is sucking less of a verb and more of an adjective to describe their general state of existence?

I think you read too much into the OPs post. OP stated that some language is atrocious, in their opinion, and then explained why... Said nothing about being offended. I can see where you can assume the OP was being smug, but I don't think that was intended.

On to my opinion: I agree that a public forum that represents Purdue, such as KH (not a member, never have been), shouldn't take on a image as being vulgar. Again, I'm not a member, so I am not suggesting that has happened. It's not uncommon for profanity to be against the rules for most forums, paid or otherwise.

All that being said, I am consistently around vulgarity where I work (all of us are current or retired army pilots), and I contribute my share too. All about time and place and I'd rather not see it associated to Purdue in anyway.
I respectfully disagree. When you refer to swearing as reflective of a lesser intellect, or not having something to say, you’re smugly nestled atop your judgy perch. As for this and forums like it representing Purdue, I get your point generally. Online message boards are probably the worst representation of any college. But, people aren’t out there evaluating colleges based on their message boards. Most of the time people appeal to “this makes us look bad,” when they really mean “I don’t like this. Stop doing it.” Just my own damn opinion.

Maybe we should make a list of the wrong words? I want to be certain I get my message across susinctly and accurately. If I can just know which words to avoid, then I can be happy I've communicated well.

For example, if it's in the bible is it Okay?

How about classic literature?

How about important and famous books?

I am troubled here folks. Maybe some of can help me out.

:cool:

Or a quote also?

U

Well, I’m a KH. Member...again after not being for some years....I must say in general I prefer interacting over here. They can get much more... oh shall we say “impassioned” with each other over there, especially after losses or discussing CMP. :rolleyes: But if one wants to read much of anything about Purdue news it is pretty much necessary. And while one can can still find Trolls, there they are fewer in number from the School down south. Unfortunately they still get their share of MSU Trolls denying whatever the latest sexual assault case makes the news topic. However, I don’t find them any more or less profane than we here....

Reactions: NG.q15
I'm having a difficult time with all the Biblical references. What did they really mean by saying Thou shall not commit a dull tree? Is that a reference to the Lord of the Rings Ents? or that they were already into paper recycling? and thou shalt not steal ? I guess somebody should inform Nojel from now on he must borrow the ball or acquire it rather than stealing it. and on the 7th day, God saw all that was good, and decided to rest, because he knew he was playing IU, and his energy was not required to work for a victory.
A dull tree is a young Ent that chose to enroll at IU.

Amen

And the other side can't respect others opinions and use language as way to demean their response.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT