ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Would you travel overseas for a Purdue football game, and if so, where?

Where would you travel overseas to see the Boilermakers (or would you even)?

• Ireland

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Japan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mexico

• England

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Middle East

• No

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Other (state)

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
I would go to Germany to visit my German wife's family, see old friends, and return to re-enjoy the excellent things that I did when previously living 8 years there having retired early there. Of course, she would also like it. Seeing a Purdue game would be an additional plus, especially if it was held in Stuttgart. Almost as easy to get to as West Lafayette for me.

I would go to Germany to visit my German wife's family, see old friends, and return to re-enjoy the excellent things that I did when previously living 8 years there having retired early there. Of course, she would also like it. Seeing a Purdue game would be an additional plus, especially if it was held in Stuttgart. Almost as easy to get to as West Lafayette for me.
I would not go to Germany to see Purdue, but if in Germany or Italy I would enjoy watching them. If in Germany I too have some friends that would probably go with me. They probably understand the game as much as I do soccer. ;) Maybe more, I don't know anything about soccer. ;)

Retired USAF?

Seeing a Purdue game would be an additional plus, especially if it was held in Stuttgart.
I was an active duty US Army officer for 28 years and was stationed overseas for 8 years: 3 Philippines, 2 Italy and 3 in Munich, which was then West Germany. Munich would be by far the best site for a Purdue game. Drive south on the autobahn for one hour and you're in the Alps. The BMW assembly plant is in Munich and they give free tours. You can go to the beer hall where Hitler got started, it's still open and it still kinda creeps you out. The game could be played in the stadium of the 1972 Olympic Games. And here's the kicker: If the game is in October, it could be played during Octoberfest! Octoberfest tailgate before the game and more Octoberfest after the game and into the night.

I was an active duty US Army officer for 28 years and was stationed overseas for 8 years: 3 Philippines, 2 Italy and 3 in Munich, which was then West Germany. Munich would be by far the best site for a Purdue game. Drive south on the autobahn for one hour and you're in the Alps. The BMW assembly plant is in Munich and they give free tours. You can go to the beer hall where Hitler got started, it's still open and it still kinda creeps you out. The game could be played in the stadium of the 1972 Olympic Games. And here's the kicker: If the game is in October, it could be played during Octoberfest! Octoberfest tailgate before the game and more Octoberfest after the game and into the night.
Good God yes! Oktoberfest and Boiler ball! I was in Schweinfurt so about 2.5 hours away at the now closed Ledward barracks. But even that far I made the trip a few times.

Germany is a site to see really.

Reactions: Quix0te
In Stuttgart you have the Mercedes and Porsche assembly plants which each have free tours, the latter one does hand assembly, a rare occurrence in the modern world, plus Germany's two best automobile museums for these companies. It is where the automobile was invented and is still commercialized. The Mercedes Benz Museum is felt by many, including me, to be the best automobile museum in the world, the entire history of the automobile as shown using this one brand, which no other company can do. It is simply loved by all visitors regardless of their age, gender or whether anyone particularly likes cars or not. The second largest automobile race in the world after the Indy 500 was held there, the Solitude, but closed because of safety concerns racing on public roads. For the 125th anniversary of the invention of the automobile, the Solitude Rally was held with about 1400 historic entries of all types. The best car event I've ever attended, and only wished that I still had kept two of my vehicles to have been a participant instead of a spectator.

Stuttgart hosts the world's second largest beer festival, the Cannstatter Volksfest and is an event in its own right, not an Oktoberfest copycat, and is almost as old. And best of all, except for a few hotels near the fairgrounds, hotels only raise their prices slightly, instead of tripling them as they do in Munich. It opens and closes one week later than Munich's. It also hosts the world's largest Spring beer festival, Fruehlingsfest. I've attended both many times. And for those who like wine, Stuttgart is Germany's largest city to host real vineyards, a rarity for such a large European City. And they are extensive at that, some almost reaching the city center. Almost all Stuttgart wines are consumed locally, it having Germany's highest per capita consumption of wine. Unlike most of the rest of Germany, the predominant wines are reds, not whites. It's said that medieval buildings were built using red wine instead of water for the mortar as it was easier to come by.

And there's lots of excellent things to see and do in and around Stuttgart, at least several weeks' worth. It also has the most honored opera house for German-speaking Europe and world renown ballet. One of my favorite activities was to sit at the NW corner of the Schlossplatz in the morning and watch the world go by. And what a view! The world's first modern TV tower centered between two large fountains, with the new Baroque palace on the left and the Old Palace (actually a Renaissance Castle) on the right, plus some other historic buildings. I do miss it, probably the most interesting area that I've lived in.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjreese and Quix0te
And thank you for your service to this nation.

Reactions: tjreese
Good God yes! Oktoberfest and Boiler ball! I was in Schweinfurt so about 2.5 hours away at the now closed Ledward barracks. But even that far I made the trip a few times.

Germany is a site to see really.
Yep, Schweinfurt was also a great place. My wife and I were in the now closed McGrawe Kaserne in Munich. But the foremost thing about Munich that would make it a great place for a Purdue football game is the Munich Olympic Stadium. It would be a great venue for a college football game.

Reactions: BBG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT