ADVERTISEMENT

Plummer Arm Strength

Boileratthebeach

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 14, 2011
I don't know much about the kid's arm strength so I thought I'd ask the board. I like his mechanics and his accuracy, however, two plays stood out to me. I think the 3rd quarter interception where he just simply under threw the ball. The angle however looked right. The other was the long completing to Bell. Also under thrown, as if it was further out it was an easy 6 for Bell.

Didn't see many balls overthrown..or did I miss them? Either way, curious to know other's thoughts.

Yeah, I’ve had similar thoughts. He throws a really soft, catchable ball, but not seeing a lot of “zip”.

but maybe he has it in his locker, but not employing it and focusing on accuracy?

Yeah, I’ve had similar thoughts. He throws a really soft, catchable ball, but not seeing a lot of “zip”.

but maybe he has it in his locker, but not employing it and focusing on accuracy?
When the winds pick up in November, we’ll see what kind of arm the kid has.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I think arm strength is one of several factors that determine how far a ball will travel. Other factors that have been shared include throwing mechanics, correct finger placement and grip, adrenaline/nervousness (maybe--could impact accuracy not distance), and legs being planted all aid in ball distance.

I can't remember if he was on those two specific plays but our QB has to scramble a bit more than desired.

But agree with your observations that I don't see many overthrows. Contrast that with Sindelar who leads a bit too much too often.

I think he has a better arm than Brees and is just as accurate as when Drew played here. I think Plummer is the next great quarterback to play here.

Agree. I'm sure as he gains experience he will do less 'thinking and aiming' and more 'letting it rip'.

I don't know much about the kid's arm strength so I thought I'd ask the board. I like his mechanics and his accuracy, however, two plays stood out to me. I think the 3rd quarter interception where he just simply under threw the ball. The angle however looked right. The other was the long completing to Bell. Also under thrown, as if it was further out it was an easy 6 for Bell.

Didn't see many balls overthrown..or did I miss them? Either way, curious to know other's thoughts.
He has good mechanics and is accurate on short and mid-field passes. But, he lacks arm strength for the quick out passes and the long balls. He also needs to learn to look away from his receivers as the defense is reading his eye direction. Norm

He has good mechanics and is accurate on short and mid-field passes. But, he lacks arm strength for the quick out passes and the long balls. He also needs to learn to look away from his receivers as the defense is reading his eye direction. Norm

Its like you didn't even watch the game....

I thought on the quick out passes , that Plummer just threw a little late sometimes. His arm is plenty strong enough

I thought on the quick out passes , that Plummer just threw a little late sometimes. His arm is plenty strong enough
His arm is plenty strong enough. It’s stronger than Drew’s or David B’s arms as a freshman. Go back and watch Brees. His mechanics are just inconsistent. Needs to shorten the release and step into it. It looks like he never really steps in and let’s it loose. As he gets more consistent and more confidence you will see more velo. That ball in the 4th to Hopkins In between coverage shows what’s in his arm, which is plenty. I think too many are trying to compare his arm to Sindelar. Sindelar has a flat out cannon. Possibly strongest arm in college football. I do think that Plummer has more touch and throws a much more catchable ball than Sindelar does.

His arm is plenty strong enough. It’s stronger than Drew’s or David B’s arms as a freshman. Go back and watch Brees. His mechanics are just inconsistent. Needs to shorten the release and step into it. It looks like he never really steps in and let’s it loose. As he gets more consistent and more confidence you will see more velo. That ball in the 4th to Hopkins In between coverage shows what’s in his arm, which is plenty. I think too many are trying to compare his arm to Sindelar. Sindelar has a flat out cannon. Possibly strongest arm in college football. I do think that Plummer has more touch and throws a much more catchable ball than Sindelar does.

I'd agree here. You don't see a lot of balls from Plummer that are in the area of a WR but are uncatchable because there was too much on them.

Plummer's arm strength is fine. Needs to step into throws and "drive" ball downfield consistently. His best qualities at this time are:
1. Has complete confidence of coaching staff and respect of team mates
2. Is a cerebral leader and student of game, who will continue to make himself better
3. Great size and athleticism
4. Ability to bounce back from mistakes and shakeoff setbacks

Future is bright and I for one am excited for the next 3 yrs. Blough shared 3 of 4 attributes but Plummer will be a future NFL starter

Plummer's arm strength is fine. Needs to step into throws and "drive" ball downfield consistently. His best qualities at this time are:
1. Has complete confidence of coaching staff and respect of team mates
2. Is a cerebral leader and student of game, who will continue to make himself better
3. Great size and athleticism
4. Ability to bounce back from mistakes and shakeoff setbacks

Future is bright and I for one am excited for the next 3 yrs. Blough shared 3 of 4 attributes but Plummer will be a future NFL starter

This.

Many FR QBs are accustomed to playing to HS level talent. If you've watched, Brohm consistently gets after his QBs to throw the ball. Hard. I like that.

That's a common problem with young QBs. They're used to HS talent not being able to catch their "hot" passes. Not so at this level. LET. IT. RIP.

I noticed the same thing about his telegraphing his passes. Surely the coaches can see that also. I, also, think he needs to step up in the pocket since defenders are blowing right around our offensive line.

How does that work? Stepping into a throw when the pocket is constantly collapsing around you? Not sure how that works.... please explain

Reactions: mille736
How does that work? Stepping into a throw when the pocket is constantly collapsing around you? Not sure how that works.... please explain
Even at times when he can he doesn’t always step into the throw. Brohm has said as much. Part of that is because his motion needs to be a shortened a little. Which will quicken it up. I’m on here saying his arm strength is fine. I think the kid is doing good and I really like his improvement. You imply that I’m ripping him , which I’m not.

Reactions: jmohlman
“Zip on the ball” isn’t everything. As a student manager, I remember catching balls from Mark Herrmann. It didn’t matter if the throw was from 10 yards or 40 yards, it was a soft, easy catchable ball.
..... Jim Everett however .... he just tried to rip your hands off with every throw, much harder to catch.

Even at times when he can he doesn’t always step into the throw. Brohm has said as much. Part of that is because his motion needs to be a shortened a little. Which will quicken it up. I’m on here saying his arm strength is fine. I think the kid is doing good and I really like his improvement. You imply that I’m ripping him , which I’m not.
That makes sense, Payton Manning had a compact and quick throw

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT