ADVERTISEMENT

Please don't sweat 2018 recruiting because...Carsen

Nov 9, 2011
Seems like we have pulled more than our share of pleasant surprises late and unexpectedly.

In the class of 2014, Isaac Haas came out of nowhere, as a decommit from the ACC, and is now projected as an NBA draft pick (along with Vince, who is also a projected NBA draft pick despite coming to us with relatively little fanfare)

In 2015, it was Swanigan who came out of nowhere - dumping MSU at the altar and then becoming a first round NBA pick

In 2016, none of us saw Carsen coming and he is now one of the best sophomores in the entire country

The most recent class - we have gems like Eastern whose commit came as a surprise, and Wheeler and Haarms whom we have never heard of but have a chance to give us a Carsen like surprise. I will bet there is at least one player in this year who gets a shot at the NBA.

Trevion Williams is a great top 50-100 type recruit. I am sure we will reel in more gems, whether they be late or unknown to us

Just relax and enjoy the ride

Your post is exactly why people need to stay away from the ledge. Here as of late CMP has done an excellent job of getting talented players to come here and some that no one even thought would be. Like CE as you pointed out.

The sky isn't falling and just because some on here want certain recruits to come here, doesn't mean CMP can't recruit when they don't. We'll get who we need in the end and the detractors will be surprised yet again, I have no doubt.

Got to get @ least 1 difference maker in each class; 2 for large classes.

Did that in 14, 15 &16...most years do. (12 & 13 come to mind as times staff did not - which is why some still worry)

We will see in 17 - - which should be 2. My bet is yes....but haven't played a minute so that is conjecture by anyone.

18 also should be 2 - given class size. My bet is a bigtime yes on TW as I think he has a shot to be all B1G if he works hard.. But again conjecture.

This class matters than most because we lose a large senior class. Carsen can't replace the impact of the 4 seniors.

Reactions: nagemj02
I've just assumed that we will have a much bigger learning curve next year than most. I don't think it's entirely realistic to replace 4 seniors in a starting lineup or rotation and expect not to miss a beat. But I will worry about 2018-2019 after 2017-2018 ends. By that time we will have seen a year from our 2017 class and know more about what they might be capable of and we should know all the players who make up our 2018 class. Far too much unknown at this point for me to worry much about the 2017 and 2018 classes.

Reactions: samcboiler
Seems like we have pulled more than our share of pleasant surprises late and unexpectedly.

In the class of 2014, Isaac Haas came out of nowhere, as a decommit from the ACC, and is now projected as an NBA draft pick (along with Vince, who is also a projected NBA draft pick despite coming to us with relatively little fanfare)

In 2015, it was Swanigan who came out of nowhere - dumping MSU at the altar and then becoming a first round NBA pick

In 2016, none of us saw Carsen coming and he is now one of the best sophomores in the entire country

The most recent class - we have gems like Eastern whose commit came as a surprise, and Wheeler and Haarms whom we have never heard of but have a chance to give us a Carsen like surprise. I will bet there is at least one player in this year who gets a shot at the NBA.

Trevion Williams is a great top 50-100 type recruit. I am sure we will reel in more gems, whether they be late or unknown to us

Agree with everything except the Eastern comment. I wouldn't call his commit a surprise. We were a leader for quite a while before his commitment.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
This class matters than most because we lose a large senior class. Carsen can't replace the impact of the 4 seniors.

2017 was more important to replace this departing 2014 class. And according to media posts, they look pretty damn good.

If we only end up with Trevion Williams for 2018, that wouldn't be bad . 2019 is all-important.

If we can get in on some more top-100 talent (like Carson was), then I'm game. Again, "if we can".

My fear is that we may be getting our players from well outside the top-100, which doesn't correlate well to winning much.

You're pretty logical............sometimes:). Good post.

All years are important. Sometimes you only need one others you two or three. I think we are out of the woods of needing to get four top 100 to stay alive.

Reactions: SnowLeopard
2017 was more important to replace this departing 2014 class. And according to media posts, they look pretty damn good.

If we only end up with Trevion Williams for 2018, that wouldn't be bad . 2019 is all-important.

Can't only sign one player this class and be fine. That leaves the program woefully thin for a year. The 2018 class needs to be at least 3 imo to provide depth and even out the classes a bit more.

I agree it needs to be 3. But now you know there's always a but I don't want to give three scholarships just to be giving them to fill spots. I just keep them and be thin for a year. In my humble opinion

All years are important. Sometimes you only need one others you two or three. I think we are out of the woods of needing to get four top 100 to stay alive.

Hayes who just surfaced on our radar is an example of a late-rising gem. If we get him, he can be that consolation prize that turns out to be better than our first choice options (like Carsen vs CJ Walker)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT