ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino out of hunt at Michigan

TwinDegrees2

All-American
Aug 8, 2009
North Central Indiana
om the Detroit Free Press’ Orion Sang, who spoke to Manuel at the Big Ten meetings on Monday:

The ideal candidate for the coaching search might remind many of the coach who just left Michigan. Manuel is looking for someone who can “coach and teach,” and who has a track record as a head coach, can develop talent without necessarily having 5-star recruits on the roster and possesses a background “beyond reproach.”

“I want somebody who wants to coach and teach young men,” Manuel said. “To drive success on the court and off the court. Academically, we’ve been as solid as well as we’ve played. We’ve had young men with character who have done the right thing. So I want that.

“If I can get a proven coach, someone with a track record as a head coach, that’s what I’d like to see. And then I want somebody who can coach, who can develop talent. John did it and this league does it year in, year out without teams full of 5-stars. We develop talent in the league, we’re a tough league that plays hard, so I’m looking for somebody that can develop talent and who can also coach.

“And lastly, John has established that you can win with integrity and do things the right way. And given some of the issues that have popped up in this sport, I want to assure that whoever leads our program understands that, has that in their background, where they’re beyond reproach. And so I’ll search for somebody as well and make sure we dot our I’s and cross our T’s around that.”

om the Detroit Free Press’ Orion Sang, who spoke to Manuel at the Big Ten meetings on Monday:

The ideal candidate for the coaching search might remind many of the coach who just left Michigan. Manuel is looking for someone who can “coach and teach,” and who has a track record as a head coach, can develop talent without necessarily having 5-star recruits on the roster and possesses a background “beyond reproach.”

“I want somebody who wants to coach and teach young men,” Manuel said. “To drive success on the court and off the court. Academically, we’ve been as solid as well as we’ve played. We’ve had young men with character who have done the right thing. So I want that.

“If I can get a proven coach, someone with a track record as a head coach, that’s what I’d like to see. And then I want somebody who can coach, who can develop talent. John did it and this league does it year in, year out without teams full of 5-stars. We develop talent in the league, we’re a tough league that plays hard, so I’m looking for somebody that can develop talent and who can also coach.

“And lastly, John has established that you can win with integrity and do things the right way. And given some of the issues that have popped up in this sport, I want to assure that whoever leads our program understands that, has that in their background, where they’re beyond reproach. And so I’ll search for somebody as well and make sure we dot our I’s and cross our T’s around that.”
So Sean Miller need not apply?

Reactions: er5reni and tjreese

Glad to see they are on a good path trying to repeat the positive ethics of their last coach. That is noteworthy and great to see. They have had other examples from their fab 5 past which are not as good, and downright crooked.

Uh oh. They are targeting Matt Painter.

The only name that comes to my mind is Brad Stevens. Don't be surprised if they are knocking on his door. He ran a clean program, smart, and can win big at the Collegiate level doing it the right way.

Last edited:
Mild rumor circulating that Mich would be one of the few jobs Bennett would leave Virginia for.

Virginia is beautiful and the weather there is a lot nicer. The only advantage Michigan has is being a better academic institution. That advantage has no impact on their sports teams. If I’m Bennet, I tell UM politely no.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Virginia is beautiful and the weather there is a lot nicer. The only advantage Michigan has is being a better academic institution. That advantage has no impact on their sports teams. If I’m Bennet, I tell UM politely no.
It would have to be a financially overwhelming offer, but UM could do it if they wanted to.

The only name that comes to my mind is Brad Stevens. Don't be surprised if they are knocking on his door. He ran a clean program, smart, and can win big at the Collegiate level doing it the right way.
This is a good point, I could see that happening

This is a good point, I could see that happening

Could you imagine the meltdown "over there" if Stevens winds up at Michigan ?
tenor.gif

Article I read said Meatchicken was looking at him. Meanwhile he had one of Meatchicken's assistants in for an interview and might well poach him instead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT